Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:26 AM

12 posts, read 48,147 times

Advertisements

I've read a few posts about people having problems when moving to new areas of Colorado, and I know it happens everywhere to a certain extent, but I wanted to see if any "natives" have thoughts on the subject.
I've seen people move from other states, fly their own state flag and try to turn the town into their state, and it is easy to see why natives take offence.
I, on the other hand, don't have a strong accent, will ditch the old license plates as soon as possible, won't be looking down on the locals (I want nothing more than to be one), and will volunteer for SAR.
Am I missing anything that really ticks people off? I've lived in different places but never one of the small towns where everyone knows everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 08:38 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Not outwardly doing things to irritate long-time residents is a good start. That said, it still may take you a long time to be accepted in some communities. That it is not so true in the transplant-infested resort and mountain towns (but they aren't "real" small towns in most social respects, either), but in the small towns where mostly long-time residents live, it can take years or decades to be accepted. I know people who have lived in Colorado small towns for over 30 years, but are still considered "newcomers" because they are not multi-generational residents. It all depends.

The one absolute thing you DO NOT want to do is to say, "Well, back in 'X', we did it this way." That will get you shunned about as fast as anything. That will usually engender the response, "Well, if you liked the way things were done in "X' so well, why the hell don't you just move back there?"

Old 09-02-2010, 08:46 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Here's what I did. I've told people I love it just the way it is here and wouldn't change a thing. It seems everyone who moves here from other states *cough* California, Texas *cough* want to change everything to make it exactly where they moved from. That don't set well with locals. Of course my sister who's lived in Delta for 50 years was called an outsider by a rancher last week, so who know?

Old 09-02-2010, 08:46 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Not outwardly doing things to irritate long-time residents is a good start. That said, it still may take you a long time to be accepted in some communities. That it is not so true in the transplant-infested resort and mountain towns (but they aren't "real" small towns in most social respects, either), but in the small towns where mostly long-time residents live, it can take years or decades to be accepted. I know people who have lived in Colorado small towns for over 30 years, but are still considered "newcomers" because they are not multi-generational residents. It all depends.

The one absolute thing you DO NOT want to do is to say, "Well, back in 'X', we did it this way." That will get you shunned about as fast as anything. That will usually engender the response, "Well, if you liked the way things were done in "X' so well, why the hell don't you just move back there?"
Well said. One example; my ex-wife, who was born in Denver and has lived in CO her entire life, took a job in Pueblo a few years back. She might as well had been from Mars. She said no matter what she did to fit in, neighbors, co-workers, shop keepers, you name it, considered her an outsider because she couldn't name what high school in Pueblo she'd graduated from. It's all perspective and people operate on different levels. Looks like you're taking the right steps and you'll fit in fine (from a CO native).

Last edited by Kar54; 09-02-2010 at 09:45 AM..

Old 09-02-2010, 08:51 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
jazzlover wrote:
I know people who have lived in Colorado small towns for over 30 years, but are still considered "newcomers" because they are not multi-generational residents. It all depends.
Sounds like a typical case of smalltownitis! This dis-ease is rampant in PA as well. During my weeklong PA visit this spring, I was talking with my cousin and his wife who have been married for over 35 years. For the duration of their marriage, they have lived in the small town that I grew up in. She is from another town about 18 miles away, and is still waiting for the day when she will be accepted as a local!

Now this is taking place only 50 miles from Philadelphia....one of the biggest cities in the USA. My thinking is this: If a dise-ease of this nature continues to thrive just 50 miles from a major city, the more isolated towns of rural Colorado are likely to experience this dis-ease faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar into the future.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:58 AM

331 posts, read 990,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Here's what I did. I've told people I love it just the way it is here and wouldn't change a thing. It seems everyone who moves here from other states *cough* California, Texas *cough* want to change everything to make it exactly where they moved from. That don't set well with locals. Of course my sister who's lived in Delta for 50 years was called an outsider by a rancher last week, so who know?
Heh, I was just thinking "That's the same type of mindset a lot of people in Texas have," as far as "you weren't born here, you don't belong here." Jazzlover hit it on the head when they mentioned "if you don't like it, you can GET OUT!"
lol, some people's sense of entitlement are so funny.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:07 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
i lived in a small town in Colorado. there was a strong divide between transplants and natives. but, my friends were mostly the natives. there was little hesitation to accept new people unless it seemed like they were trying to change things. those who were trying to change things would never be accepted by the natives even after 40+ years in the same town. those who weren't were accepted after a year or two but it would still take 15+ years to not be a newcomer. fair enough i thought, lots of people come and go.

btw, it is funny to see people in colorado get all excited about being native. i know very few families that have been in the area more than a generation or two. the west is very new. even in ohio my family goes back more than six generations, new england might be twice that.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
jazzlover wrote:
I know people who have lived in Colorado small towns for over 30 years, but are still considered "newcomers" because they are not multi-generational residents. It all depends.
Sounds like a typical case of smalltownitis! This dis-ease is rampant in PA as well. During my weeklong PA visit this spring, I was talking with my cousin and his wife who have been married for over 35 years. For the duration of their marriage, they have lived in the small town that I grew up in. She is from another town about 18 miles away, and is still waiting for the day when she will be accepted as a local!

Now this is taking place only 50 miles from Philadelphia....one of the biggest cities in the USA. My thinking is this: If a dise-ease of this nature continues to thrive just 50 miles from a major city, the more isolated towns of rural Colorado are likely to experience this dis-ease faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar into the future.
Def agree about the situation in PA. My parents owned a home for 40 years in a suburb of Pittsburgh; after 30, some were still calling it by the first owner's name, e.g. "The Smith House" instead of "The Jones House".

Here in the burbs of metro Denver, no one cares much a team flag for an out of state team, etc. I have lots of neighbors who are Nebraska/Packers fans. Volunteering is a great way to get to know people.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:36 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
I think its good for a city to have outside ideas brought in and I for one embrace it. Let me give you one example, President Garcia of CSU Pueblo. He moved to Pueblo and has been instrumental in making CSU Pueblo the fastest growing university in the state and now he is running for Lt. Governor.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:41 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Curious to know why anyone would ass-ume that someone doesn't like it here ( wherever here might be ) when he or she says, back in xxxxxxxx, we used to do dad dah dah. Could be that the person saying that is simply recalling a fond memory. Having a fond memory about ones old home is not mutually exclusive with loving ones new home. Love is unlimited! Anyone of us is capable of loving multiple places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado