Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 09:59 PM

127 posts, read 434,085 times

Advertisements

In coming back to Phoenix from our recent trip to Colorado Springs/Denver, it made me smile to see the signs posted on the freeway that read something like move traffic/vehicles to side of road for accident. I wanted to take a picture and give it to our govenor in Arizona letting them know that this is what you do with major accidents. Here in phoenix metro when you have a fatal/major accident, they have an uncanny nack for closing off the entire freeway for hours while they investigate. A couple of years ago during a summer holiday , people were coming back to Phoenix from Flagstaff and other cooler mountain city's when they stopped all traffic for a fatal accident. People were outside of their cars 4-5 hours in above 100 degree temperatures before they reopened the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 10:15 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,344,552 times
The "move traffic/vehicles to side of road " is for minor accidents. Even in CO for fatal/major accident, a road or a highway may be closed.

But, there are many other ways why CO may be better

Old 06-28-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
But, there are many other ways why CO may be better
Agreed, either way, it's all better. With minor accidents it always ties up both sides of the freeway from everyone slowing down to take a look. I usually give the car in front of me the horn when they slow down to look at an accident or something on the side of the road, and the car in front has move about 100 feet ahead of them.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:02 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Default Something Colorado has over Arizona

Something Colorado has over Arizona , I can think of two things; latitude and me.

I was born in Arizona, so they tell me. Since we've moved to Colorado, we've found it unnecessary to move. Thank goodness that not everybody feels the same way. Could you imagine Colorado if it's population doubled or tripled? It would be like LA without an ocean

Old 06-29-2007, 08:47 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
McGowdog,

Well, the population of Colorado has close to tripled in my lifetime, and--if the developers have their way--it'll double again before we know it. Unless--of course, we run out of water or fuel. I just trying to figure out which is going to happen first . . . we're going through both as fast as we can, with no regard to the wellbeing of the people who will inherit this place from us.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:02 PM

214 posts, read 1,310,062 times
Yea, a bit hard to drag the bloody corpse and twisted metal out of the road at times....

I think you're over applying the rules a bit!

Old 06-29-2007, 11:18 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
As someone who has lived in both places, I would say both states have a lot in common, a lot of the same problems. The scenario you talked about, with the traffic backups on I-17 is not unique to AZ; Colorado has the same exact problem with I-70 with city-dwellers wanting to get into the mountains for the weekend. I-70 gets all-out shut down many times every winter and spring due to blizzards, avalanches, rock slides, truck accidents, etc. I still give CO the edge on overall quality of life, but not for the reasons you talked about.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:15 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
McGowdog,

Well, the population of Colorado has close to tripled in my lifetime, and--if the developers have their way--it'll double again before we know it. Unless--of course, we run out of water or fuel. I just trying to figure out which is going to happen first . . . we're going through both as fast as we can, with no regard to the wellbeing of the people who will inherit this place from us.
Jazzlover, please don't make me get technical and give you the exact statistics, but Colorado has not seen growth like Nevada, Washington, Idaho, Arizona, and maybe Texas. Now, compared to Wyoming, Colorado is densely populated. Here in southern Colorado, the sprawl isn't too bad. Take a look at the sprawl around Phoenix the next time you fly into their airport.

God Bless the folks in GB and Scottland, including my family.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:59 PM

By no means am I judging this as a better quality of Life issue. In seeing these signs, I thought Arizona could follow suit as it is a good reminder. In the short 14 years I've spent in Phoenix Metro, the population has gone from 1.7 million to almost 4 million. As your city grows to be a major metropolitan area, you should not be closing down freeways/entrance and exit points without having viable opitons for re-routing traffic - aka causing bigger traffic back-ups and the potential for more problems.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:31 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
McGowdog,

I would agree that growth rates in Colorado have not been as explosive as in other places. To quote a poster on the Montana forum, however, that is about like a rapist telling his victim he is only going to rape her for 10 minutes instead of 30. Somehow, the statistic isn't much comfort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado