Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2010, 11:20 AM

21 posts, read 59,463 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We have just started thinking about relocating, and just started researching Larimer County, north of Denver, due to employment options.

We are not necessarily looking for Libertarian party members, but we would like to live near people who still have that Colorado live-and-let-live attitude, and don't try to force their politics on others.

We are Libertarian Christians, currently living in a military/very hardcore Republican town, which is fine place to live for many people, but we are looking for a change.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 12:46 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,575,838 times
Well there are definitely Libertarian types around, I know a few, but there is no town as such that has that as the predominate politics. Colorado has a lot of polarity in it's politics so in a lot of the fruity areas like Denver and Boulder it is very leftist and in the suburbs it is more of a Republican bent.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:19 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,350,175 times
I would say Colorado is a live and let live state, at least here in Pueblo.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:53 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,200,445 times
Have to agree with Josseppie. For the most part I don't think it's that polarizing. Some areas definitely lean one way or the other, but most of the people I've met are as likely prize lower taxes and a right to bear arms as they are building cultural institutions and helping the homeless get back on their feet. The huntsman and anglers here often seem to be the treehuggers as well. Manly treehuggers, mind you, but treehuggers nevertheless.

Colorado is no libertarian mecca, but the taxes are relatively low, potentially intrusive laws are relatively lax (unless it's about water), and most people are friendly but will keep to themselves. That said, Boulder is probably not the place for you ;-)

(That said, state services are also starting to suffer from lack of funds and intervention, including schools, roads, transit and emergency services...but you get what you pay for.)

Old 09-06-2010, 03:19 PM

Thanks for your replies.

We live in an extremely polarized area right now.

Boulder was not on our list. Most likely, it will be Loveland or Ft. Collins.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:25 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
I wouldn't call Denver "leftist". I have called Denver "garden variety liberal" on this site.

Boulder is an admixture of everything from very liberal, extreme leftist to libertarian. The city's policies do tend toward the liberal, however.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:04 AM

We don't mind living in a place where others don't think the same as us. Most state/local govts run fairly similar across the Intermountain West, with some exceptions, of course.

What we have a problem with right now is how people treat each other when they don't agree with a person's political philosophy. We are strong supporters of "live and let live - everyone is entitled to their opinion," but that sentiment is not shared in our area, and it is getting uglier. We lived in Colorado for a while in the 90's, and we remember being around people who had mutual respect for differences of opinion, rather than insisting we "follow the herd."

So before we consider a move to Ft. Collins/Loveland area, we want to make sure things haven't changed in Colorado, and we aren't going to get into the same situation we have here. We will be visiting the area soon, but I wanted to put some feelers out first, so your comments and advice are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:14 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,200,445 times
I don't know about Fort Collins / Loveland, but I live in the Denver area and have had no problem finding friends that respectfully disagree with me.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:33 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
I'm inclined to agree with Zenkonomi and Josseppie that Colorado projects a live-and-let-live attitude. Like anywhere else there are wackos on the left and wackos on the right. More commonly however, a live-and-let-live attitude prevails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado