Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:28 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times

Advertisements

Skiing can be great fun; it is also expensive. Unless with the equipment, living right there, with a discounted season pass, it requires a significant investment of time and money for most participants.

That's the key, Jazz......and it describes my next ski season!

I don't think that the industry is dying...it's just changing and evolving with the times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 11:31 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Last season I skiied 16 times between the Tahoe area (where I was living at the time) and Colorado, more times then I've ever gone up in my life. Tahoe got pounded with snow last winter due to the El Nino Pacific storms effect. You cannot believe how crowded places like Heavenly, Northstar, and Alpine Meadows were. No, I don't see any signs whatsoever that the ski industry is dying.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:32 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Last season I skiied 16 times between the Tahoe area (where I was living at the time) and Colorado, more times then I've ever gone up in my life. Tahoe got pounded with snow last winter due to the El Nino Pacific storms effect. You cannot believe how crowded places like Heavenly, Northstar, and Alpine Meadows were. No, I don't see any signs whatsoever that the ski industry is dying.
Heck, even southern NM had a good season (Cloudcroft, Ski Apache)....and that is saying a whole LOT.

Let's hope that the 2010-2011 season is as good or better!

Old 09-09-2010, 08:40 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
I lived in La Veta, built a house, went to grad school over La Veta pass at Adams State & worked up at Cuchara during the original opening years of the ski area up there. Lots of Texas investors' $$$. I waited tables & it was good money for those times. It's a beautiful area.

One thing, however, that throwing more money will not change much about Cuchara: the weather. Bad ski conditions, spring ice, and temperatures too warm for good snowmaking.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:32 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Personally I think Monarch is the ski area most likely in southern Colorado to grow and be our "Keystone" or "Breckenridge" in the next 20 years as it has great snow and easy access from both Pueblo and Colorado Springs. Now I wish Cuchara well but I think they have a lot of negatives that must be overcome, but it can be done.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:22 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Personally I think Monarch is the ski area most likely in southern Colorado to grow and be our "Keystone" or "Breckenridge" in the next 20 years as it has great snow and easy access from both Pueblo and Colorado Springs. Now I wish Cuchara well but I think they have a lot of negatives that must be overcome, but it can be done.
I've heard that same crap about Monarch for 35 years now. It's been around as long or longer than most any of the other major ski areas in Colorado and it's basically gone nowhere. I don't think that is going to change--especially as the funny money economy continues its implosion.

Everything you post, Josseppie, is based on the assumption that things are going to continue as they did in the "fairy tale" boom that has now ended. That's OVER, probably for good--as well it should be. It was based on an economic lie--that it's possible to get something for nothing.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I've heard that same crap about Monarch for 35 years now. It's been around as long or longer than most any of the other major ski areas in Colorado and it's basically gone nowhere. I don't think that is going to change--especially as the funny money economy continues its implosion.

Everything you post, Josseppie, is based on the assumption that things are going to continue as they did in the "fairy tale" boom that has now ended. That's OVER, probably for good--as well it should be. It was based on an economic lie--that it's possible to get something for nothing.
I base my predictions from looking at current stats as well as history and talking to people who are far more knowledgeable then I am as well as different publications.

As far as Monarch, it has had a record ski season, even during this recession, and when I talk to people who are in the industry they tell me that Monarch stands to grow as the Pueblo and Colorado Springs metro areas grow. Now with Cuchara I get mixed messages as it has many negatives that must be overcome so it is going to be a risky venture.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:21 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I base my predictions from looking at current stats as well as history and talking to people who are far more knowledgeable then I am as well as different publications.

As far as Monarch, it has had a record ski season, even during this recession, and when I talk to people who are in the industry they tell me that Monarch stands to grow as the Pueblo and Colorado Springs metro areas grow. Now with Cuchara I get mixed messages as it has many negatives that must be overcome so it is going to be a risky venture.
The thing that will always hold back Monarch and Cuchara is they are a bridge too far from a major airport that has steady flights. It might be an attraction to those that want a more isolated experience, but it can't compete with Vail and Summit County or even Winter Park for that matter.

Monarch might grow somewhat over the years, but a major resort? No. And definitely the same with Cuchara.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
The thing that will always hold back Monarch and Cuchara is they are a bridge too far from a major airport that has steady flights. It might be an attraction to those that want a more isolated experience, but it can't compete with Vail and Summit County or even Winter Park for that matter.

Monarch might grow somewhat over the years, but a major resort? No. And definitely the same with Cuchara.
That was true in the past when both Pueblo and Colorado Springs did not have much of a airport. However, Colorado Springs now has a great airport and in fact could have international service in the next year or two. At the same time Pueblo's airport is growing as well with great connections thru Denver and non stop service to Las Vegas and possibly the LA area in the next 5 years. This is during a recession so as the recession ends and both cities continue their growth spurt much will change by 2020. That is why I say this is the perfect time for a new ski resort to start in southern Colorado.

Then on top of that the long term plans this century call for a HSR from Pueblo to Fort Collins and Albuquerque to Pueblo with Pueblo as the major hub. Once that happens I am told by people in the industry that Amtrak will come to Pueblo as well. Then its just a hop skip and jump to Monarch so they could benefit a lot as it would just take some kind of mass transit from Pueblo, like a train or bus system, to allow people to visit it and with its great snow I am sure they will go.

I do agree that Monarch has a much better chance then Cuchara because it has a better location and being on highway 50 has better access but I would not completely count Cuchara out as it could become the Winter Park of southern Colorado. Not easy to get to but worth the trip as it becomes a great nitch resort.

Last edited by Josseppie; 09-10-2010 at 09:41 PM..

Old 09-13-2010, 12:51 PM

529 posts, read 1,325,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Heck, even southern NM had a good season (Cloudcroft, Ski Apache)....and that is saying a whole LOT.

Let's hope that the 2010-2011 season is as good or better!

It's true the mountains got a lot of snow last winter but lodging numbers and gross receipts taxes were way down over 2007-2008 here in Fanta Se. At least the figures I saw. I am not sure how Pajarito did but I do know one thing; I heard lots of desperate advertizing by them on the radio.

I think Jazzlover is on to something about skiiing being a dying industry along with others. It's is expensive that's for sure. As the US packs more and more people into it, the resources will become more and more scarce and expensive to aquire gobbling up discretionary income. I still think there will be ski areas but they will eventually go the way of the buggy whip....an analogy from the the 1990 comedy, 'Other People's Money'

Finally, yes let's hope 2011 is better to us here in the Land of Manana but I think that's still at least two years away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado