U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 03:28 PM

11,903 posts, read 19,085,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziasforever View Post
There is not much difference between Denver and Fort Sprawl-ins except it is more suburban.

The job market is pretty tight right now anywhere in Colorado or the US for that matter.

Lots of personal trainers have had the same idea about relo-ing to Colorado as you have.

If you have the cash to live there or a 'portable' income you can rely on, you should have no problems.
Actually the city of Fort Collins is relatively dense and built around a few major north south roads. They, also, spend money on mass-transit with such projects like the Mason Corridor line and they have developed a small but nice downtown.

Now the rest of the area north of Denver on I-25 is a different story as it is nothing but sprawl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 04:23 PM

529 posts, read 1,087,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Actually the city of Fort Collins is relatively dense and built around a few major north south roads. They, also, spend money on mass-transit with such projects like the Mason Corridor line and they have developed a small but nice downtown.

Now the rest of the area north of Denver on I-25 is a different story as it is nothing but sprawl.
I'll still argue that it's all one big ugly sprawl from Sprawl-a-lot-o Springs to Fort Sprawl-ins. However, there are a few (very, very few) open areas between Longmont and FC.

I did not know about the mass transit project but I always figured Fort Collins to be a somewhat eco-friendly town.

Last edited by Ziasforever; 09-13-2010 at 04:33 PM..

Old 09-13-2010, 06:16 PM

9,810 posts, read 18,082,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr1129 View Post
I was thinking about Vail or Aspen to work first before grad school. I know they are pretty pricey, are there any good gyms or personal training studios in the area? Maybe I can beg for a job
I've got a good friend in Vail that is a personal trainer and have known a number of others in Vail and Aspen.

There is no work right now with the down market. Or hardly enough to make a living.

And basically what makes that worse is that personal trainers are dime a dozen up there in those towns. There is so much competition that it just mops up all the work. The other thing to consider is that clients that pay mostly don't live full time up there, so a chunk of the year there is no business.

If you are willing to have 2nd, 3rd and 4th jobs, then it might work but you wont be doing it full time.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:58 PM

73 posts, read 93,564 times
When I eventually move I'm looking to find another line of work other than personal training, and also go back to school. I wouldn't mind relocating and working for a year so that I can have a years worth of residency before starting grad school. The difference in out of state vs in state tuition is always pretty big.

The school of Public Health is in Denver, and I would think there would be more opportunity there for jobs. I'm planning a trip in December, so I'll come with resume's!

Old 09-14-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr1129 View Post
When I eventually move I'm looking to find another line of work other than personal training, and also go back to school. I wouldn't mind relocating and working for a year so that I can have a years worth of residency before starting grad school. The difference in out of state vs in state tuition is always pretty big.

The school of Public Health is in Denver, and I would think there would be more opportunity there for jobs. I'm planning a trip in December, so I'll come with resume's!
I think that's a good idea. You'll want to have a job lined-up before you move.

That being said, the pickens' are slim in Colorado right now. And for the rest of the United States as well. Texas and Louisiana might be exceptions to that.

So, if you don't need money to live, the better it will be for you. If you need money to live, it'll be tough goin' even in the blob of the Front Range.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:13 PM

14,132 posts, read 24,840,173 times
Quote:
Texas and Louisiana might be exceptions to that.
and Northern Virginia. Our unemployment rate is only about 5% right now. We've definitely got jobs.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:23 AM

4,115 posts, read 4,273,452 times
Quote:
I think that's a good idea. You'll want to have a job lined-up before you move.

That being said, the pickens' are slim in Colorado right now. And for the rest of the United States as well. Texas and Louisiana might be exceptions to that.

So, if you don't need money to live, the better it will be for you. If you need money to live, it'll be tough goin' even in the blob of the Front Range.
Ziasforever-I've been dying to ask you this-you seem pretty "down" on Colorado yet you are always posting...what gives? Colorado's unemployment is not as bad as others-Tampa 12.4% now-Detroit...I think it's 14%-yes, Colorado may not be for everyone but it's a beautiful state-I'm just curious as to why you seem to always have a negative spin on Colorado?

Old 09-15-2010, 01:04 PM

14,132 posts, read 24,840,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Ziasforever-I've been dying to ask you this-you seem pretty "down" on Colorado yet you are always posting...what gives? Colorado's unemployment is not as bad as others-Tampa 12.4% now-Detroit...I think it's 14%-yes, Colorado may not be for everyone but it's a beautiful state-I'm just curious as to why you seem to always have a negative spin on Colorado?
Just because the UE rate is lower doesn't mean there are a whole lot of available jobs somewhere. It may just mean people are staying in the jobs they have and aren't getting laid off in as great a number as in the places you've mentioned. If you don't see many of your neighbors moving between jobs it's a good bet the employment picture is pretty stagnant regardless of the UE rate being relatively low.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:14 PM

4,115 posts, read 4,273,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Just because the UE rate is lower doesn't mean there are a whole lot of available jobs somewhere. It may just mean people are staying in the jobs they have and aren't getting laid off in as great a number as in the places you've mentioned. If you don't see many of your neighbors moving between jobs it's a good bet the employment picture is pretty stagnant regardless of the UE rate being relatively low.
I understand but the question I have is for Ziasforever-every one of his posts seem to be down on CO & I was just wondering why...
and yes I understand unemployment

Old 09-15-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post

First of all, not all of my posts are "down" on Colorado. Second of all, there needs to be a balance to the "things are always smiles and sunshine in Colorado" Albeit there are only two or three of us who post the other attributes of Colorado living so it isn't much of a balance. I think most readers out there in cyberspace ignore what I have to say anyways because they are starry-eyed Colorado bound. I am a realist having lived there.

Back in the 90's when you could go anywhere and get a job, I was having trouble finding work in New Mexico. I wanted to relocate out here to be closer to my family roots. I grew up in the South and hot weather and no snow is not my thing. Having excellent qualifications and a good work history, I never could understand why I couldn't get even a PC tech job in Albuquerque. Well I never considered that everyone else was wanting to move out here as I found out later.

About this time, one of my coworkers noticed a job was available in Denver and had been for a long period of time with my organization. I applied for the job and two weeks later I was transfered to Denver with a 'decent' (so I thought) raise. Now you might think I had a connection but when I got there I found out the particular reason I got the job is because their in-state applicants wanted more money than they offered me and they didn't want to wade through the scores off out-of-state applicants who weren't already employed with the organization.

The front range blob still has the problems other blobs, like DFW, have around the country. I see a lot of posters want to get away from those problems in the blob they're already in. I'm just saying you really won't get away from those issues either or you have to spend a lot of money to do so.

I'm sorry that's how you interpret my posts. But all's fair in posting land. I have my views. You have your's. Besides; so what? So my postings don't paint a grassy meadow under a snow capped mountain of Colorado. So what that they paint a picture of scrub in the valleys and a condo so small you can spin your arms around in it when you do get to live in the green valley. They're based on my experiences in the centennial state from my perspective.

Peace out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado