U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 05:45 PM

535 posts, read 1,366,834 times

Advertisements

Often they'll drive you crazy if you don't sell. They'll build a road right up to where your land begins, call the police everytime you make noise, aka when it's time to make a living. All sorts of pressure will come down upon you when the state or developers, often working together, want your land. Prices suddenly go up, you suddenly become a criminal and a drag on the community, and there seems to be all sorts of financial mix ups as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 05:49 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,126,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticky909 View Post
Often they'll drive you crazy if you don't sell. They'll build a road right up to where your land begins, call the police everytime you make noise, aka when it's time to make a living. All sorts of pressure will come down upon you when the state or developers, often working together, want your land. Prices suddenly go up, you suddenly become a criminal and a drag on the community, and there seems to be all sorts of financial mix ups as well.
And the only graceful way out is to tie a bunch of balloons to your house and float away, right?

Old 06-02-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
It is true if ranchers, farmers etc did not sell, land and water rights then there would not be all this building in rural areas and water would not be leaving to other parts. But as you say you don't blame them. The reason I don't blame them is because they are going broke being ranchers and farmers. Many of the younger generation are not interested and Mom and Dad need money to retire or even survive. What is the answer? To keep ranchers and farmers, the cost of food from the local market needs to be addressed. The imports don't help there any more than it does in other industries. I don't pretend to know the answers and I probably won't be here when something happens but something will, sometime. Either pro or con. Something will have to give.----------Another sad note. Our public lands are being sold to big money. Not much of that with Colorado people. I have personally seen areas, one in particular that was a favorite of my family. We would go and camp, fish and just enjoy about once maybe twice a yr. and did many others for sometimes there were others in this same area as we. We had not gone for 2 yrs. When we went back, it was all fenced off with signseverywhere. Private property. We checked into and were told it was sold and the huge "little cabin in woods" built there was occupied for about a wk a yr. The price for that land was way out of sight of normal wage earners in Colorado.. Somehow this just does not seem right. Public lands. That means you and me of the USA. And yet were we asked whether or not we wanted our lands sold? If so I sure did not know about it!
Your post reminded me that the majority of our politicians campaign money donations come from out of state. I wonder who from?

Old 06-02-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
And the only graceful way out is to tie a bunch of balloons to your house and float away, right?
you can sell for less than its worth or have it taken haha. I'll inform the people I know who are holding out about the balloon idea, this might revolutionize how realestate works.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:40 PM

2,537 posts, read 5,835,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticky909 View Post
you can sell for less than its worth or have it taken haha. I'll inform the people I know who are holding out about the balloon idea, this might revolutionize how realestate works.
And here I always thought when you tie a bunch of balloons to your house it means you're having a party. Silly me.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:58 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,494,281 times
If Kunstlers dream comes to pass, that may well become the new version of rural sprawl when energy prices spike upwards again. They'll be knocking down the vacant buildings and turning the vacant land back into farmland.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:24 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,807,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
If Kunstlers dream comes to pass, that may well become the new version of rural sprawl when energy prices spike upwards again. They'll be knocking down the vacant buildings and turning the vacant land back into farmland.
I doubt that would happen in Colorado because of the water situation. Once the water rights are separated from the land, there's very little hope of getting them back together again.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:22 AM

296 posts, read 1,054,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird39 View Post
Hi there,

First of all, we had a racoon inside of our house last night (uninvited)! That tells you how rural we are. We have bear, fox, bald eagles, loons, deer and countless chipmunks who cross our acre of land regularly. We spent all day cutting and stacking wood for next winter with the kids (our idea of a "Sunday out"). Yes, we burn our garbage, and I still don't have a place to recycle glass anywhere near me.

I agree with much said. My DH works in wildland fire, and the "WUI" (wildland urban interface) is a great threat to him. As more and more people build houses in the wildlands, he's expected to take more and more risks to defend these places. It's been a huge concern for decades, and as the baby boomers retire, it'll only become more so. People can work from their homes too, which makes it easier to live in the country.

I also wanted to add that once a piece of land is subdivided, it never goes back to it's original size. It only keeps getting split and split.

More than ever are we not only driving to places, but living in places that people aren't supposed to live in. I'm a culprit myself. I don't expect a latte shop or fast food joint in my small town any time soon, but sometimes miss the "comforts" of the city. I love living in the woods. There are plenty of these places in Northern Michigan for dirt cheap. They've already pillaged and plundered these parts over 100 years ago. It's only starting to recover, but it IS recovering. The West just has taken longer to "develop".

Don't know the answer either. I moved from Oregon, where they have no tax base to pay for things like schools or police because there is so much public land there. There needs to be a better way to provide for states like Oregon and Nevada so that we can keep the lands we have public. There needs to be less state to state rivalry. I've never been able to understand the bitterness towards Californians. That state has done a lot of good things. Most people can't help it that they were born in a certain place. And who can blame someone for wanting to live in a place of beauty, or moving from a place that they can no longer afford.

Michigan taxes second homes MUCH higher than homesteads. It's a good idea, IMO. So many homes where I live are vacation homes, and it just makes me sick that they stand vacant for 11 months out of the year. Totally agree that part of the solution is getting away from the consume, consumee, consume attitude. I wonder how many of these second homes were offered to Katrina survivors, or Iraq refugees. But I diverge...

Enough for now...
Just pointing out the hypocrisy of these two statements:

"My DH works in wildland fire, and the "WUI" (wildland urban interface) is a great threat to him. As more and more people build houses in the wildlands, he's expected to take more and more risks to defend these places."

and..."First of all, we had a racoon inside of our house last night (uninvited)! That tells you how rural we are. We have bear, fox, bald eagles, loons, deer and countless chipmunks who cross our acre of land regularly."

So, it's ok for you to live "in nature" but not the other guy? Seems to me that's much of the problem, people unaware of their own impacts on the environment, but quick to blame others.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:15 AM

2,561 posts, read 4,884,895 times
"My DH works in wildland fire, and the "WUI" (wildland urban interface) is a great threat to him. As more and more people build houses in the wildlands, he's expected to take more and more risks to defend these places."

and..."First of all, we had a racoon inside of our house last night (uninvited)! That tells you how rural we are. We have bear, fox, bald eagles, loons, deer and countless chipmunks who cross our acre of land regularly."

That sounds like most of Boulder County..I have seen all these species in the center of Boulder (downtown) from time to time. We can and do live with wildlife in our cities..so it's certainly possible to do so in more rural spaces... we just don't need to be taking cues from cities like Greenwood Village. Old time Colorado conservation was often displayed by firing shotguns at buffalo herds/wolf packs so hard that the barrels glowed red from the heat.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:34 AM

2,139 posts, read 5,501,923 times
Thanks for the heads up on "The Nature of Southwestern Colorado" book!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado