U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2007, 05:09 AM

4 posts, read 12,117 times

Advertisements

What is the biomedical industry like in Colorado? Are there real job opportunities, or pipe dreams? I'm an attorney by training with a strong science and health background and have regulatory experience in medical devices, a little pharma. I practiced law for some years in Portland, Oregon, but the biomedical industry is essentially non-existant there; and after a disastrous year in economically troubled Ohio where a good job evaporated, I'm ready for something. My sister wants me to move to the Denver/Lakewood area. And, I can't think of any place I'd rather be than hiking with her along Dinosaur Ridge in the early morning sun followed by strong coffee at Blue Sky Cafe. But, will I be able to find something to support myself???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 06:14 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
I heard Amgen had put some sort of plant in the Denver (or Boulder, or somewhere near the region) area. Not sure if it is just manufacturing. You can't work for a better company the Amgen. Do a little googling on Amgen in Denver in google maps.

amgen loc: den - Google Maps

Old 07-02-2007, 10:50 AM

13,631 posts, read 21,489,347 times
The Denver Metro area should be considered the Electro-surg capital of North America.

Check out Valley Lab (Boulder, Co) which was once owned by Pfizer, now owned by Tyco?? They were our competitor, so I'm not exactly sure about that company.

Then you've got Conmed. They were formerly Aspen Surgical Systems (Centennial, Colorado) There off of Jordan road, they still manufacture Electrosurgery machines (commonly called Bovie machines, Cautery machines, but they actually cut and coagulate). When Aspen bought out Birtcher/Bard's portion of the electrosurgery industry, they took on the Hyfrecator and the Argon Beam Coagulator. They are involved in many peripherals and other surgery equipment.

I don't know if that place in Boulder is involved with pharmaceuticals or not. That's one heck of an industry in itself. I'm glad Conmed never got involved with it. They are the most stable company that I've ever seen.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:04 PM

4 posts, read 12,117 times
Thanks for names of places to check out, and sharing insight. I appreciate it. I'm surprised at how few responses there were to my query. Is there not a lot of biomedical? Or, has it faced recent challenges? Moving out? Or, moving in? Is technology and environmental more common than biomedical? Other reasons?

Old 06-28-2008, 06:48 PM

792 posts, read 2,739,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosh View Post
I'm surprised at how few responses there were to my query. Is there not a lot of biomedical? Or, has it faced recent challenges? Moving out? Or, moving in?
There really isn't much biomedical in CO as compared to the Bay Area, Minneapolis/St. Paul, or the northeast's I-95 corridor. Many companies over the years have started up in CO, got acquired, and relocated out.

The 'epicenter' of medical device firms that are in CO are in NW sector of Denver in the Lakewood area. There is a cluster of firms in the SE sector of Denver down by the Centennial Airport plus some up in the Boulder area (Gunbarrel/Broomfield). The # of firms really thins out going up to Fort Collins or south to Colorado Springs. Spectranetics in Colorado Springs seems to be on the uP as of late.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:37 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,512,833 times
There are a number of small Boulder County biotech companies, Array BioPharma being one.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:12 PM

2,533 posts, read 5,817,246 times
registry of biomedical companies United States of America by state - Colorado

Colorado BioScience Association
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado