Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2010, 01:53 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,105,209 times

Advertisements

I'm still trying to figure out how getting voter approval on deficit spending, borrowing, and taxes increases is "going too far" or "extreme." It's like saying Democracy is going too far––I thought all these big gov leftists loved Democracy? Maybe only when it works for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 01:59 PM

625 posts, read 1,384,247 times
Quote:
we work hard for it and these jerks hardly work and steal it
I agree. That darn government and their educatin' our chill'un. And them thar public colleges. And all them roads and stuff. I don't need non of it!

If we want to fix property taxes, lets repeal Gallagher and stop taxing business personal property, not pass these poorly thought out amendments.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:04 PM

625 posts, read 1,384,247 times
Quote:
Another thing I keep pointing out to deaf ears is that El Paso County Colorado has 40 school districts. FORTY! How much duplication of superintendents, staff, rules, boards, processes, etc is enough. I came here from Fairfax County Virginia, which has over a million people and ONE school system. But nobody wants to take on the dirty work of scrubbing the number of boards down into an appropriate handful, or even one.
I think in districts sand local governments, the narrative of "local control" has gone too far. Businesses face different laws in every jurisdiction. And how can a town like Timnath, for example, control itself (pun intended, if you see what they've done with urban renewal. In Timnath? Urban? Really?). A perfect example of taxing districts that are sweetheart deals for developers.

I will build on what's been said here, we need to make government efficient, not hobble it and then complain when it doesn't do its job.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:25 PM

7,785 posts, read 7,987,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's called democracy. You participate, you attempt to win others to your side, and you influence government. Apparently your positions were not supported by the main stream of Colorado.
WERE is the main word here. Things are about to change, and I dont mean hope and change

Old 10-19-2010, 07:29 AM

50,141 posts, read 23,792,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
WERE is the main word here. Things are about to change, and I dont mean hope and change
That may very well be true. There have been other political movements in this country that were democratic, but unwise...if you don't think so, just look west to California. But remember, let's say one or more of the amendments pass. A counter-group of citizens will work to have them rescinded. That's democracy, too. What a shame that you only believe in democracy when it works in your favor.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:54 PM

3 posts, read 5,842 times
Question Still a little confused....

I have been looking for information regarding these amendments and proposition in search for answers to help me vote this year. I won't deny I'm not an incredible fan of taxes, but they are one of those things that are an unfortunate necessity.

Considering our state, like all the rest, are having issues with closing the gap on budget short falls, I would've assumed it to be foolhardy to pass Amendment 60 (lowering property tax) and Proposition 101(vehicle taxes and liscensing reduction) for sure, but was mostly struggling with Amendment 61 (limitations on gov't borrowing). This particular ballot measure reads, to me, as a means of reducing the debt made by the state government to prevent creating a larger shortfall in the future.

Part of it states, "...requiring voter approval onf future borrowing by local government entities; limiting the form, term, and amount of total borrowing by each local governmental entity". Doesn't that leave borrowing up to us to reduce pork spending in the budget?

Um...I had a feeling this one wouldn't be a terrible amendment to pass. As the old addage goes, "Don't borrow what you can't pay back." Hence my reasoning for not going out and buying a car (it's less expensive, though not by too much anymore, to ride public transit).It seems to be something that won't dangerously effect the day to day necessities of the city, but would practically prevent the state government from spending monies on items that aren't necessary to running it.

But I am one of the people who are "bottom rung" as it were. I do depend on assistance from the state and am wholeheartedly trying to change that. I'd prefer going on my own steam. For the most part, I would hate to see any kind of cut to the states budget that would affect human services (because I understand the needs for those living a lower quality of life), public schools and higher education, in a way that can and will, essentially, cost more.

Hypothetically, as far as public schools are concerned, there could end up being a necessity to buy your child's own schoolbooks instead of them being provided free of charge to students; a higher cost for lunches (although I'm prepared to have my son "brown bag" his lunches to ensure it's healthier), and even the worst case (although highly unlikely) scenario of school's making it mandatory to provide one's own necessities to use facilities (ha!). This would, in effect, destroy public schools, which in turn privatizes education, leading to more "stoopid" people because of an inability to afford an education. (Mind you there's already a high drop-out rate besides).

Anyways, can anyone please explain to me, further and more indepth, how Amendment 61, will affect Colorado, positive and negative, if it's stopping borrowing. Isn't that half the reason we're in the hole we're in?

Old 10-19-2010, 06:42 PM

heck as a self employed person I will vote for all three ! make your own way lazy loosers! stop living off me I aint your mamma

Old 10-19-2010, 06:58 PM

[quote=phetaroi;16314196]That may very well be true. There have been other political movements in this country that were democratic, but unwise...if you don't think so, just look west to California. But remember, let's say one or more of the amendments pass. A counter-group of citizens will work to have them rescinded. That's democracy, too. What a shame that you only believe in democracy when it works in your favor.[/quot No shame here. I am voting for getting the Gov off My back and My neighbors backs.stop taking our money and giving it to idiots that dont work

Old 10-19-2010, 11:23 PM

50,141 posts, read 23,792,348 times
Quote:
I am voting for getting the Gov off My back and My neighbors backs.stop taking our money and giving it to idiots that dont work
Cliche, cliche, cliche. Show me some data.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:07 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,086,692 times
Quote:
heck as a self employed person I will vote for all three ! make your own way lazy loosers! stop living off me I aint your mamma
You seem to want to live in a place where there are no taxes and the government is nonexistent.

Might I suggest you move to Somalia. It fits right in with your ideology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado