U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-21-2010, 11:54 AM

4 posts, read 7,664 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about La Veta Pass? How long is it? Where does it begin/end? I also came across something called "Muneca Rocks" located near La Veta Pass...does anyone have any info about that?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 01:03 PM

1,483 posts, read 2,031,659 times
I'll be on the pass Friday of this week. I take the entire route 12 every year and love it. Then from Trinidad we drive to Chama, NM and take the La Veta Pass. All I can say is beautiful. I wish I lived there.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:34 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,584,803 times
Wink La Veta Pass

La Veta Pass is located between the towns of Fort Garland and La Veta, with US 160 crossing it. The distance would be 30-40 miles, depending on how measured. Fort Garland is bisected by US 160, the town of La Veta lies a bit to the south of this highway.

The elevation of La Veta Pass is 9,413 feet. It is a fairly easy pass to navigate, although notable for a fairly long and moderately steep grade on the east side.

The DR&G railroad laid tracks on this route in 1877. This line was moved to a pass further south in 1899 when the shift from narrow to standard gauge tracks made that more practical.

There is an old and narrow road often visible just across the canyon to the south. This may well have been the original road.

The Muenca Rocks are apparently a geologic landmark in the vicinity of La Veta Pass. They may be notable as the location of a lost Spanish mine.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:50 PM

4 posts, read 7,664 times
Thanks Idunn! Very informative and just what I was looking for. Do you know where about these Muneca Rocks are located?

Old 09-22-2010, 07:22 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,031,659 times
Thanks Idunn, I'll be there in another day. Leaving tomorrow morning for Trinidad. Hopefully today you might let us know where the Muneca Rocks are too. Of course that whole area has incredible rock formations.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:39 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,584,803 times
Wink Muñeca Rock

As the story goes, or at least this version of it, in the early 1800's a group of Spaniards discovered gold in the foothills of the Apishapa Valley. In attempting to transport the gold south these Spaniards were attacked by Ute indians. With no alternative, they buried the gold near the Muneca Rock, but only a few survived to escape south. Entwined with this legend is also talk of an Arapaho indian Princess, who relayed the location to her children, etc. The validity of all of this is obviously in question.

Muñeca (moon-YEA-kah) means either 'doll' or 'wrist' depending on conotation. It is seemingly a Spanish word, but said to be given by the Arapahoe indians to a large rock they named Muneca (the doll), that resembled a 30-foot doll.

This may be your best clue. This location may be best reached via the town of Aguilar, CO, which is about 20 miles south of Walsenburg, just west of I-25. There are probably dirt roads from there leading west, possibly public. My guess is the Muneca Rock lies in the Apishapa Valley, probably near the foothills. It could lie further out in the valley, or possibly within the foothills themselves.

As this legend would have it, these Spaniards buried their gold 300 feet from Muneca Rock, the location marked with a shovel. If any of this is true, the shovel would be long gone, the gold likely still buried, with somewhere in the foothills their gold mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado