Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 10:42 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,580,892 times

Advertisements

I went through that bad one last week and now looks like another one worse is piling on. Winds are rocking the house and we could get a couple of feet due to our 9000 ft elevation.

So much for those predictions that northern Colorado would get starved of snow. So far looking pretty good.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:03 AM

18,139 posts, read 25,671,871 times
Mike from back east is right. I've been checking reports on News11 here in Junction, looking at sites online, and for the next 4 to 5 days look out for some big time snows. A series of low pressure systems are stacked up and we're gonna get some serious snows out of this. The Grand Junction area will see rain at first, then snow Monday as the temperature is gonna nosedive. These systems will be out of the area by Wednesday, but for the next 3 to 4 days get ready!

Old 11-21-2010, 12:16 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,769,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Be glad you're not in the San Juan Mountains this week, they're due for 3-4 FEET of snow.
This should be interesting.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:58 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,365,244 times
An early snow near Thanksgiving is quite common in Colorado, especially in the northern mountains. Unfortunately, such snows mean little as far as snowpack accumulation and water supplies; and they also offer little predictability as to whether the winter will be a dry or wet one.

This storm will be what it will be. If people have to travel, they should be ready for full winter conditions. If either their driving skill and/or their vehicle is not equipped for that, then they should stay the hell out of the mountains. Pretty simple.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:27 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,580,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
An early snow near Thanksgiving is quite common in Colorado, especially in the northern mountains. Unfortunately, such snows mean little as far as snowpack accumulation and water supplies; and they also offer little predictability as to whether the winter will be a dry or wet one.

This storm will be what it will be. If people have to travel, they should be ready for full winter conditions. If either their driving skill and/or their vehicle is not equipped for that, then they should stay the hell out of the mountains. Pretty simple.
Actually they mean a lot to snowpack and water supplies. Water is water. A couple of big storms are better than none at all.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:54 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,365,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Actually they mean a lot to snowpack and water supplies. Water is water. A couple of big storms are better than none at all.
Except that the early winter storms typically don't carry a lot of water content. It's the ones that come in late winter and spring that usually do that. I'll take snow anytime--we can always use the moisture--but the point is that an early snow does not usually contribute a whole lot to the snowpack. Typically, December is one of the driest months in most of Colorado--and it's almost December.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:22 PM

18,139 posts, read 25,671,871 times
Am watching the 10 p.m. weather on both News 11 and KREX, channel 3. The southwest corner is getting socked but good, the snow amounts in Silverton are nearly a foot already PLUS they reported that 90 to 100 mile wind gusts were reported on Wolf Creek pass. I live near Fruita, a ways off I-70, our wind gusts were 35 to 40 m.p.h. The next low pressure is sitting over Wendover, Nevada and heading our way. We got enough snow to cover the ground and are getting another blast right now of rain, am sure I'll be waking up to a couple inches tomorrow morning. Jim 9251, what's it look like in Ridgway?

Old 11-21-2010, 11:42 PM

Early this evening 60mph plus wind and snow, it was snowing sideways. I think that may be a blizzard. White out conditions, power was out in town for a while, a car drove off 550. Steady 30mph + wind now. Blowing powdery snow. The only thing moving is the CDOT plows.

And jazz is right, from what I learned last winter and my NWS stuff, the powdery snow this time of year means nothing. It's the heavy wet spring snows we need, and hopefully we will get.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:30 AM

801 posts, read 2,203,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
So much for those predictions that northern Colorado would get starved of snow. So far looking pretty good.
wanneroo...I'm not sure which predictions you are referring to. The following links show the NOAA/Climate Prediction Center forecasts for Dec-Feb and Feb-Apr.

This winter, these outlooks are almost totally driven by the historical relationships between La Nina and monthly/seasonal precipitation.

With La Nina, Arizona and New Mexico are typically drier than normal during the winter. The farther south...the worse conditions are relative to normal. La Nina and wet weather go together in the Pacific Northwest. In between...there is a gray area, and that gray area is usually over Colorado.

Now...the main problem for Colorado is that in late winter and spring, the abnormally dry weather associated with La Nina patterns tend to creep northward, so that the greatest likelihood of drier than normal weather in Colorado will be during the late winter and spring. That's a concern because it's the late winter and spring storms that are typically prolific in storing lots of water in the snow pack. The following links show the Dec-Feb outlook, and the Feb-Apr outlook from the Climate Prediction Center. Notice the EC over the region between the wet Pacific Northwest and dry Southwest U.S. The climate folks use EC to mean "equal chances" of normal, above normal, or below normal precipitation. Some of us who were in the weather business like to say EC means "equally clueless." Take your pick.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...off01_prcp.gif

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...off03_prcp.gif

Old 11-22-2010, 08:43 AM

We got about 1/4" snow here which is .02" liquid. The storm that wasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado