Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2011, 09:32 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times

Advertisements

It's up to zero this morning, clear sky after 3" of snow last night from 4:30pm to 10pm (.16" liquid). Ouray got almost 12" of snow.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:29 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,130 times
Jazz, people just get tired of you going on and on...

....it`s not all gloom and doom. Maybe from your perspective but not everyone elses.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-23-2011 at 12:16 PM..

Old 01-30-2011, 05:43 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Thought I'd get this noted as I was kind of outrunning the clouds!

Big changes for weather this week! Big system coming down the pike, on NBC National News they were saying this going to impact at least 30 states. Cold air from the North and moisture from the Pacific are gonna hit the Grand Junction area tomorrow and this one is gonna be frigid. Not really a huge snow maker, but temps statewide will hit zero for a few days. 3 to 5 inches on the front range, a little more in the mountains.

Cold, cold, cold! But hey, it's still January!

Old 01-31-2011, 06:07 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,466,691 times
I know, I'm headed towards Taos today and am a bit bummed.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:24 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
HH....The coldest February temperature during my five winters in Grand Junction was 4 degrees on Feb 2nd, 2007. During those 5 winters, there have been only 7 single digit lows in the month of February, so chances seem good that this cold snap will be of short duration.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:36 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Hey cl723

At least Grand Junction has been slightly warmer in the day time than Duluth Minnesota, but less than a degree warmer overnite for the first 9 days of 2011. We almost broke thru the freezing mark yesterday! It's so nice living in a banana belt instead of a cold place like Duluth!
LOL! My daughter is dating a guy from Duluth. He said that there was a 70 degree difference between our high (metro Denver) and Duluth's low recently.

The temperature has dropped 3 degrees (from 19 to 16) since 7:15 AM here in Louisville and the freezing rain has finally turned to snow, thank goodness! It was too slippery for my friend and I to go walking this morning. My neighbor said his dog was slipping on the ice.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:42 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
HH....The coldest February temperature during my five winters in Grand Junction was 4 degrees on Feb 2nd, 2007. During those 5 winters, there have been only 7 single digit lows in the month of February, so chances seem good that this cold snap will be of short duration.
Just remember, the coldest temperatures ever recorded in Colorado have generally occurred during the first 2 weeks of February. I can remember a number of those events in my own lifetime. One particularly nasty one was the "Arctic Blast" in February 1989. I had to travel to Denver from the Western Slope when that "little event" happened. Miserable roads all the way in heavy snow (I had business in Gunnison that morning so drove via US50 going over to Denver). As I drove from Salida, over Monarch, through South Park and in to Denver, I would drive in and out of the Arctic air. The temperature would be 32° one place, and 5 miles later it would be -15°, then back to freezing a few miles later, then in the deep freeze a few miles after that. What normally was about a 5 hour trip took nearly 12 hours. When I went to bed at the motel in Denver, the temperature was about 20° with light snow falling. When I got up the next morning (with the motel's heater struggling to maintain 50° in the room), it was snowing to beat hell and the temperature was -25° (yes, 25 below). I canceled my business in Denver and decided to leave right then for home. I got as far as Rifle before a blinding blizzard and literally hundreds of jackknifed semis, car accidents, and cars in the ditch closed I-70 from Glenwood Springs all the way to Grand Junction. I got the last motel room in Rifle. Hundreds of people had to sleep in their cars in Rifle that night, with a bunch more people sleeping on the floor of the CDOT maintenance garage in DeBeque. When they finally got I-70 open the next day (only to 4WD's for quite awhile), the road from Rifle to Palisade looked like an automotive wrecking yard. So much for "mild" February weather.

I really do caution people about assuming that the relatively benign winters that we have enjoyed for the most part for the past few years in Colorado mean that savage winter weather--and entire winter seasons--can not occur. The last few winters in Colorado, as a climatologist friend of mine likes to say, have been "abnormally normal."

Old 01-31-2011, 09:08 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
I remember that snowstorm well, that was the last year I worked at the Ft. St. Vrain Plant. It snowed nearly two feet at the plant, thankfully I was driving the '77 Dodge Powerwagon instead of the Izuzu I-Mark diesel. Yea, that storm was pretty nasty all right. Twenty to twenty five mile an hour winds too. Sheesh!

Old 01-31-2011, 02:27 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
jazzlover wrote:
Just remember, the coldest temperatures ever recorded in Colorado have generally occurred during the first 2 weeks of February. I can remember a number of those events in my own lifetime. One particularly nasty one was the "Arctic Blast" in February 1989.
The coldest temp ( -23 ) officially recorded in Grand Junction occurred on Jan-13th ( I don't have the year recorded in my database ). The coldest official Feb temp in GJ was -21 recorded on Feb-8th.

I spent the Arctic blast of Feb '89 in southeastern PA. I recall that it was an extremely cold winter, but I don't remember the actual temperatures. Just for the record, I'm very aware that my 5 winters in Colorado are very slim pickins on which to base any future winter weather trends for more than 5 minutes beyond the current moment. I could very well eat my words about the cold spell being of short duration. We'll see!

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 01-31-2011 at 03:29 PM..

Old 01-31-2011, 04:50 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
This is a great storm. Here are some pictures I took and will post more later.

First this is from the NWS in Pueblo.

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 AM MST TUESDAY

WIND CHILL WARNING NOW IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 8 AM MST WEDNESDAY...

THE WIND CHILL WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 8 AM MST WEDNESDAY. A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 AM MST TUESDAY.

* THE I-25 CORRIDOR FROM THE NEW MEXICO BORDER TO NORTHERN EL PASO COUNTY. THIS INCLUDES BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO...COLORADO SPRINGS...PUEBLO...WALSENBURG AND TRINIDAD.

* CAUSE AND TIMING...A WINTER STORM SYSTEM HAS SENT AN ARCTIC AIR MASS INTO THE REGION SPREADING SNOW AND BITTERLY COLD TEMPERATURES INTO THE AREA.

* SNOW ACCUMULATION...LOCATIONS ALONG AND WEST OF INTERSTATE 25 WILL SEE 3 TO 7 INCHES...WHILE LOCATIONS EAST OF INTERSTATE 25...INCLUDING SOUTHERN EL PASO AND NORTHERN PUEBLO COUNTIES... WILL SEE SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 2 TO 5 INCHES. THE HEAVIEST SNOW IS EXPECTED TO FALL THIS EVENING AND TONIGHT.

* WIND...NORTH TO NORTHEAST AT 15 TO 20 MPH WILL OCCUR TONIGHT WITH WINDS INCREASING TOMORROW TO 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 35 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...LOWS TONIGHT WILL BE IN THE ZERO TO NEGATIVE 5 RANGE. HIGHS TOMORROW WILL ONLY BE AROUND ZERO.

* WIND CHILLS...WIND CHILL VALUES TONIGHT WILL RANGE BETWEEN 10 AND 20 DEGREES BELOW ZERO. WIND CHILL READING TOMORROW WILL BE 20 TO 30 DEGREES BELOW ZERO.

Now my pictures of the early part of the snow storm:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado