Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 11:40 PM

6 posts, read 20,493 times

Advertisements

Dear Colorado,

I am seriously considering moving to your state from Kissimmee, Florida. I've visited some government websites to get a feel for the area but I wanted to get some opinions and details from the locals. Thus, I created an account here.

I am a medical diagnostic sonographer by day in order to make ends meet but I love all kinds of art and performing arts. I also enjoy new experiences that involve the outdoors. I've heard all kinds of great things about Colorado from my aunt who invested in property in Aspen... while, I'm open to all areas there I'm narrowing it down by the following:

1. where the best job prospects/income are
2. people (age demographics: I fall in the 20's group)
3. schools (I would love to continue my medical education)
4. community/events
5. scenery (nothing, too rural)
6. commuting (I prefer being able to bike, walk, or use reliable public transporation although I will have a car)
7. weather (what should I anticipate as the worst that could happen?)

Please do share your thoughts/links regarding anything that may be helpful in guiding me in the right direction...

Thanks in advance,

milanob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 11:44 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Denver, for everything on your list.

Go to the Denver forum, look in the index of threads and/or use the search tool with your key words / topics. There is even a thread on car-free living in Denver, especially if you live near the light rail system.

Jobs are tight here too, but the climate is great and there's a ton of stuff to do in Denver.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:49 AM

6 posts, read 20,493 times
Thanks. That's a start...

Old 09-30-2010, 05:23 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Somebody should probably weigh in on your number 7 as that will likely be your biggest adjustment from Kissimmee.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:25 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Basically the only thing that fits is the Front Range Population Blob along the I-25 corridor from Pueblo to Ft Collins. That is the place in Colorado(only a small percentage of the total land mass of Colorado BTW) where most of the schooling, culture and jobs are at.

What should anticipate the worst in weather that can happen? A winter storm that can shut the state down for a few days.

You biggest change will be going from a place where summer like weather is the predominate weather pattern to a place where winter is the predominate weather pattern. Colorado is a state with the highest average elevation as well as one of the coldest states on average in the union. Yes there is a summer in Colorado but winter weather can strike from late September into May. Also with the mountains in the central part of the state as well as being the crossroads for the jet stream and other weather patterns you can get rapidly changing weather and lots of wind. It can be 80 one day and 40 the next. The air is also thinner, the sun more intense and typically it's dry rather than humid.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:37 PM

529 posts, read 1,325,922 times
Don't forget about the fierce competition for jobs. Even in the medical field.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:46 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
If you have a job in Florida, you might consider hanging on to it, until this economic sh*tstorm blows over. Most signs point to things getting worse in Colorado before they get better. Hang on to your dream. Keep it on the back burner. The economy is likely to improve....someday!

Old 10-01-2010, 11:21 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
But the OP is in health care. That industry is doing fine. Also, he/she only needs one job.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:45 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Most signs point to things getting worse in Colorado before they get better.
And everywhere else...

Old 10-01-2010, 03:49 PM

529 posts, read 1,325,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
But the OP is in health care. That industry is doing fine. Also, he/she only needs one job.
True but in Colorado, the competition for even heath-care related jobs appears to be fierce. A lot of those in the profession have the same idea as the OP; relocating to Colorado.

The OP could probably get a job in Houston or Boston the same day. Colorado, probably not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado