Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 12:09 PM

26,112 posts, read 48,706,745 times

Advertisements

Demand for steel around the world has spiked the price of molybdenum, used to make steel stronger.

Reported today in the COL SPGS Gazette:
- Headlines: Plans to reopen Leadville mine are back on | mining, leadville, hundreds - Gazette.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 12:39 PM

Default More on mining operations

Story in today's Denver Post. Leadville, Crested Butte and Rico are all involved in new or renewed mining operations.

- The Denver Post - Colorado mining divided over molybdenum

Wife and I rode the tourist train in Leadville the other year. The Conductor was a rusticated chap who let us ride back down to town in the caboose, and I tipped him nicely. The view was great, here are a few pix:
Leadville, CO, Molybdenum Mine aka Climax Mine-colorado-leadville-train-trip-20030528-001.jpg Leadville, CO, Molybdenum Mine aka Climax Mine-colorado-leadville-train-trip-20030528-009.jpg Leadville, CO, Molybdenum Mine aka Climax Mine-colorado-leadville-train-trip-20030528-016.jpg Leadville, CO, Molybdenum Mine aka Climax Mine-colorado-leadville-train-trip-20030528-019.jpg Leadville, CO, Molybdenum Mine aka Climax Mine-colorado-leadville-train-trip-20030528-038.jpg Leadville, CO, Molybdenum Mine aka Climax Mine-colorado-leadville-train-trip-20030528-032.jpg Leadville, CO, Molybdenum Mine aka Climax Mine-colorado-leadville-train-trip-20030528-051.jpg

The moly mine operation is shown in the 5th photo. Pix of the town are at:
- Leadville, Colorado (CO) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-09-2007 at 12:52 PM..

Old 11-10-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Story in Denver Post on 09 DEC 2007 that Leadville, Crested Butte and Rico were involved in new or renewed mining operations. - Colorado mining divided over molybdenum - The Denver Post

... snip ...
Before it even re-opened, reduced world demand for moly delays re-opening the Leadville mine, reported 10 NOV 2008.
- Freeport-McMoRan to cut 100 Colorado jobs, delay Leadville mine - The Denver Post

Old 10-07-2010, 09:16 PM
CTC

666 posts, read 1,457,976 times
Default Jobs in rural CO (Climax Molybdenum)

A heads up:there are some good jobs to be had at the Henderson Opps-and Climax on Fremont Pass is gearing up for 2012-350+ employees wil be needed

a link to look for yourselves

ClimaxMoly: Employment

I work there myself and recomend it highly, great benefits, and you are doing something worthy-producing a strategic metal from the world's biggest primary moly mine.

Jazz-there are still some pretty good jobs left in old Colorado-maybe not many, but a few

Old 01-21-2011, 03:05 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,466,698 times
Both Germany and Russia started buying large quantities of molybdenum, from the Climax mine, in 1925. The main purpose was for superior armor plating.

History ignores the fact that Hitler saved Europe from Russia. At least we know that Russia saved much of the world from Hitler I guess.

Molybdenum sales has produced more income than all of Colorado's gold, silver, and uranium put together. The Climax mine is gigantimonstrous. Really big.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:25 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,959,152 times
Wink As legacy

My suggestion is that part of the bargain for Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc. reopening the Climax mine is that they spend enough extra not only to conduct their mining operations in an environmentally responsible manner, BUT also clean up the toxic legacy left due past mining. They might begin with that huge unsightly reservoir of toxic mine tailings next the highway.

While the ski area of Copper Mountain might welcome this new enterprise, chances are they will see few extra skier days from it. What they might be more concerned about is what would happen should that large reservoir of gunk ever let loose above them. Or, for that matter, just how it might be impacting the quality of their water supply even now.

I'm sure there are more than a few items in my life which contain molybdenum, nor do I fault Leadville for wishing to improve its economy. Buy we might remember it was the promise of jobs in the first place that created that mine, and at a point it closed and they vanished. All remaining the damage to the environment, still present.

At some point in the future that mine will cease production again, if for no other reason than all the ore is gone. One would hope that when that day comes, and everyone must look for jobs elsewhere, that they do not regret what was done to their home in the interim.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
A heads up:there are some good jobs to be had at the Henderson Opps-and Climax on Fremont Pass is gearing up for 2012-350+ employees wil be needed

I work there myself and recomend it highly, great benefits, and you are doing something worthy-producing a strategic metal from the world's biggest primary moly mine.

Jazz-there are still some pretty good jobs left in old Colorado-maybe not many, but a few
Thanks for the link, I filled out an app. I've actually read several books about mining in that area, one was about the early days of the Climax mine. I was thrilled and looked for a job at the mine in 2009. Was nothing going on then.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post

Wow...they called me today. Don't want to say too much for a few reasons.

Thanks for the link!!!

I sent a friend request your way!

Old 01-28-2011, 11:43 AM
CTC

666 posts, read 1,457,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
My suggestion is that part of the bargain for Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc. reopening the Climax mine is that they spend enough extra not only to conduct their mining operations in an environmentally responsible manner, BUT also clean up the toxic legacy left due past mining. They might begin with that huge unsightly reservoir of toxic mine tailings next the highway.

While the ski area of Copper Mountain might welcome this new enterprise, chances are they will see few extra skier days from it. What they might be more concerned about is what would happen should that large reservoir of gunk ever let loose above them. Or, for that matter, just how it might be impacting the quality of their water supply even now.

I'm sure there are more than a few items in my life which contain molybdenum, nor do I fault Leadville for wishing to improve its economy. Buy we might remember it was the promise of jobs in the first place that created that mine, and at a point it closed and they vanished. All remaining the damage to the environment, still present.

At some point in the future that mine will cease production again, if for no other reason than all the ore is gone. One would hope that when that day comes, and everyone must look for jobs elsewhere, that they do not regret what was done to their home in the interim.
The tailings have not just been "left there" There is a crew who monitors and maintains the structural integrity of the tails. Also an environmental dept, contractors etc. This is all done under permits by the CDPHE.

Eventually when the reservoir is filled, it will be capped and re-vegged. Already top soil is being stock piled. The foot print of the mine is very small when compared to the greater geographical area.

There is a plan in place to remediate and monitor when the ore is gone. This is how things are done now. When a mine is proposed closure is a very important part of the process. Hopefully all will go according to plan.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:42 PM

Mining and manufacturing will always have an impact on the environment. China's meteoric rise has been enabled by a governmental posture that looks askance at the various impacts. Meanwhile, US mining and manufacturing has been severely crippled by excessive government regulation and sometimes unrealistic environmental protections.

While it is true that the Climax mine has had a particularly visual impact on the environment, it is also true that the Climax was, for a long time, one of the most successful mines in world history. It was found that one mountain was composed of 50% molybdenum, in places, according to the old book "Gray Gold" by Otis King. That was at a time that environmental concerns were very much on the back burner. There has been more income generated by the Climax mine than all of Colorado's gold and silver mines combined.

What was done in the past can hardly be undone. There is a lot of money spent in the containment and management of the effluent from the halcyon mining days of yore. Who should pay for this? The most reasonable system is to continue mining in a more environmentally long sighted vein while allocating part of the profit to management of the sins of the past.

Unless you relish the idea of living a third world lifestyle, you will probably have to deal with the downside of manufacturing and mining. Are you prepared to turn your furnace off? To toss the keys to your car? Even the use of your computer would not be possible without mining.

Nature has an amazing ability to heal. Acidic and alkaline ions are attracted and generally cancel out the negative properties of each. With our present understanding of chemistry and biology, we can hope to maintain our present lifestyle without unleashing unforeseen, and uncontrollable, environmental damages.

Or....you can learn Mandarin Chinese and get ready to obey our new Asian masters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado