U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Pueblo: conserving, water problems, online article, new arrivals, water taps, expensive commodity

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:03 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,523,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareFreeAZ View Post
I think you might check that stat jazzlover. Out of all the southwestern states Arizona has been diligent in legally ensuring 100 plus year water supplies. I would even go as far to say they are doing better than Colorado. The Hopi and Hohokam Indians were finding ways to divert water from the Colorado hundreds of thousands of years ago.
I think the 100 years of water supplies assumes that all the agricultural water gets transferred over to residential use, essentially eliminating all agriculture in the state. The stat I saw said that Arizona could support 30 million population assuming that all agricultural water was appropriated. (What then, one wonders?)

We in Colorado are fortunate that we don't have the growth pressures that Arizona does. The rate at which Arizona is growing is unreal; makes our growth challenges seem positively minor in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 11:01 AM

566 posts, read 1,705,203 times
The world is ending! The world is ending! Well at least I can get in my 45 foot motorhome and head out of here at the last minute (with my Suburban in tow behind). Seriously, there are opportunities to build more reservoirs and we should be busy doing so. Why is it that everytime we experience a shortage of anything nowadays the first response is to start rationing what is left instead of creating more? As for reservoir construction, please stand out of the way with your objections over destroying wilderness and displacing bugs and let the progress continue that has made this nation the best place on earth.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:54 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,523,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
The world is ending! The world is ending! Well at least I can get in my 45 foot motorhome and head out of here at the last minute (with my Suburban in tow behind). Seriously, there are opportunities to build more reservoirs and we should be busy doing so. Why is it that everytime we experience a shortage of anything nowadays the first response is to start rationing what is left instead of creating more? As for reservoir construction, please stand out of the way with your objections over destroying wilderness and displacing bugs and let the progress continue that has made this nation the best place on earth.
cobmw... I think you're being TIC with this post... right?

Old 07-06-2007, 12:06 PM

Not familiar with contemporary abbreviations (TIC). But, I am serious with what I said in spite of being PIC (politically incorrect?).

Old 07-06-2007, 12:33 PM

I get it! Tongue in cheek. No I didn't write it just to mock someone, but to make a serious point. There are those whose main purpose in life seems to be to tell others to make do with less. I say baloney. Yes I have the 45 foot motorhome and the Surburban. The construction of the RV provided jobs for several people. The fuel that I use creates more jobs in the petroleum industry. No I don't feel guilty using my vehicles as I don't buy into the global warming fraud. There are plenty of untapped sources for petroleum if the "make do with less" folks will not obstruct progress. Eventually at some distant time from now we will switch away from petroleum fuels, but the market should decide when and not the do-gooders. I'd be glad to see lots more cheap, nuclear power right now.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:39 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,467,757 times
What if....

-more jobs in the petroleum industry...is part of the problem?

-driving a 45 motorhome and a Suburban...is part of the problem?

-letting the market decide...is part of the problem?

-lots more cheap, nuclear power right now...is part of the problem?

-so called progress...is part of the problem?

-the global warming fraud...is NOT a fraud?

-"make do with less" folks...have the formula for REAL progress?

Food for thought anyway!

regards....Franco

Old 07-06-2007, 02:19 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,048,219 times
I've noticed that throughout history, ingenious people have found amazing ways to supply needs. Every generation thinks they're going to completely run out of some precious resource and the world will end. But somehow, someone finds a solution and civilization continues. The world has plenty of water. Its just in the wrong form and in the wrong places most of the time.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:55 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,467,757 times
EscapeCalifornia

you wrote: The world has plenty of water. Its just in the wrong form and in the wrong places most of the time.

In many instances when these ingenious people have attempted to correct natures mistake of putting the water in the wrong place, they have caused far more harm than good.

regards...Franco

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 07-06-2007 at 03:22 PM..

Old 07-06-2007, 05:48 PM

So your idea is to reduce /eliminate the jobs of those involved in:

1. Building RV's
2. Making SUV's
3. Producing petroleum (except of course those workers who produce gasoline for your own cars).

I'll add one more. Shut down the production of corporate jets. They use thousands of gallons of fuel to transport one person on one trip. Let Al Gore ride on Jet Blue with me.

While we're at it let's pass laws to limit the size of new homes to 2000 ft. Germans live in dwellings averaging 950 ft. Certainly we can make due with twice what they have. Then set strict limits on the size of home air conditioners, heaters, windows and refrigerators. Outlaw incadescent bulbs.

Then set limits on how many miles each person can drive (or ration gas). Don't build or repair roads. This will drive them nuts and they will finally accept public transit.

These actions (plus many more the global warming/"make do with less" alarmists are already working on) will eliminate millions of jobs. My company has about 12 job openings that we are trying to fill at any time. So to undo some of your damage I'll hire 12 of your unemployed. Now it's your turn. How many will you hire? Have you ever created a single job for someone else?

Old 07-06-2007, 08:05 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,048,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
So your idea is to reduce /eliminate the jobs of those involved in:

1. Building RV's
2. Making SUV's
3. Producing petroleum (except of course those workers who produce gasoline for your own cars).

I'll add one more. Shut down the production of corporate jets. They use thousands of gallons of fuel to transport one person on one trip. Let Al Gore ride on Jet Blue with me.

While we're at it let's pass laws to limit the size of new homes to 2000 ft. Germans live in dwellings averaging 950 ft. Certainly we can make due with twice what they have. Then set strict limits on the size of home air conditioners, heaters, windows and refrigerators. Outlaw incadescent bulbs.

Then set limits on how many miles each person can drive (or ration gas). Don't build or repair roads. This will drive them nuts and they will finally accept public transit.

These actions (plus many more the global warming/"make do with less" alarmists are already working on) will eliminate millions of jobs. My company has about 12 job openings that we are trying to fill at any time. So to undo some of your damage I'll hire 12 of your unemployed. Now it's your turn. How many will you hire? Have you ever created a single job for someone else?
I'm sure each of those has been proposed by the California legislature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or