U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 6,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Hello,

I have considered moving to Colorado, and I have gotten some information from peolple who have lived there and people who are from there.

One bit of information that I came across was that it costs over $1500 per year to register/license a vehicle and it may be more depending on the size and emissions of the vehicle.

Is this true?!?!?!?!?!?!

I live in Rapid City, South Dakota and it only cost about $45 per year to have by car registered. If I move to Colorado I will have to save up A LOT extra per month just to keep my car registered!!!

Please tell me this is not true!
Not true - but not $45.00 a year either. The registration fees are highest when a car is new and decrease as the car ages. For example the current registration fee for my 1999 Mustang GT is around $100.00.

Here's a link I found with a chart:

Car Title/Registration Fees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 10:46 PM

1,394 posts, read 3,878,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTNS_TX View Post
If your purchase price was around 20K, you're looking at about $150 bucks.
I paid around $10,000 for everything here in Minnesota, it sounds like it won't be to bad for mine. Thanks for the input.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:41 AM

44 posts, read 146,053 times
Considering Denver as a place to relocate and I'm a little confused about the registration fees you guys are talking about.

Is this a separate fee from taxes? And if so is it due every year? I know in SC we pay to renew our tags every 2 years and then also property taxes on the vehicle. Our tag fees are only $27 but our taxes are high. My 2003 Accord the first couple of years was over $600 for taxes. But we have a cap on the sales tax of a car of only $300. Do you guys pay full sales tax when you purchase?

Trying to get an idea of cost of living compared to where I live now.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:18 AM

13,631 posts, read 21,489,347 times
Quote:
Hello,

I have considered moving to Colorado, and I have gotten some information from peolple who have lived there and people who are from there.

One bit of information that I came across was that it costs over $1500 per year to register/license a vehicle and it may be more depending on the size and emissions of the vehicle.

Is this true?!?!?!?!?!?!

I live in Rapid City, South Dakota and it only cost about $45 per year to have by car registered. If I move to Colorado I will have to save up A LOT extra per month just to keep my car registered!!!

Please tell me this is not true!
After reading this thread, I'm more confused than I was before.

I hate to be a cut and paster, but I am curious about this too ( from D M V dot Org):

If it has an engine or motor and is able to roam the roads and highways of Colorado legally, it most likely needs to be registered with the Department of Revenue's Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The registering party is basically defined as one accountable for a vehicle whether or not the owner of said vehicle. In Colorado it is generally an annual process for residents and in most cases, once you are set up with tags and plates, can be done via mail.

The exception is when a vehicle is due for emissions testing, or if a vehicle has been tagged by Colorado's insurance identification program as uninsured.

The DMV provides registration forms for various plates and vehicle types available for download .

License fees are constant and assessed by the empty weight of the vehicle being registered. The only variations in costs from year to year are based on fluctuation in local sales taxes or various ownership taxes. Cash and check are the only means of payment.

Non-resident exemptions from ownership taxes are given in certain circumstances to those in the military. A completed affidavit of nonresidence is required.
Recent Residents

You must register your vehicle (or vehicles) within 30 days of establishing Colorado residency. Residency is defined by being in-state for a string of 90 days, owning a business or being employed in the state, or just having a Colorado license in your wallet.

My co-workers from Florida say that they tried to add this state tax to their system and the people of Florida stood up, bowed their necks and said, "Oh no U di int, sista", so they don't pay it. Here in Colorado and in California (I'd guess), there's dorks not only willing to spend the money for their tags, but they spend all the extra dough on Vanity Plates!

As my dad says, "A fool and his money are soon parted".

Last edited by McGowdog; 07-06-2007 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: source

Old 07-06-2007, 06:07 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,065,751 times
YIKES!!!

How in the world can this be possible! Maybe I'll stay put in Rapid City!
$45 per year is slightly more reasonable that $450!!!

It's kinda funy too... when I am in line to register my car at the courthouse I often hear people complain about how expensive it is!
THEY HAVE NO IDEA HOW BAD IT COULD BE!!!

I have a 2004 Honda Accord and a 2000 Mitsubishi Montero.... if I move to CO I might never be able to eat!

Old 07-06-2007, 06:10 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,065,751 times
PS: One other thing...

If I buy a car in CO but I live in SD which states taxes do I have to pay???
Both? My homestate? or the state i bought the car in??

I've always wondered.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:46 PM

67 posts, read 369,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTNS_TX View Post
It was about $55 for each car in Texas.

For the 2002 Saturn, it was $112.

For the 2003 T&C Minivan, it was $153.

Plus the $35 each for emissions and VIN inspection required.

When we need another car, we're going USED USED USED.
Is that every year or just the first time you bring a car into the state?
Or is that a tax for buying a car because all states do that. In virginia (not my home state) they charge what they call a personal property tax yearly just to own a car or boat in the state.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:50 PM

67 posts, read 369,917 times
Quote:
PS: One other thing...

If I buy a car in CO but I live in SD which states taxes do I have to pay???
Both? My homestate? or the state i bought the car in??

I've always wondered.
You might have to pay sales tax in co but usually you dont pay registration taxes until you register the car in your city that you live in. In Pennslyvania its illegal to register a car in say Texas but live more than half a year in PA, PA would make you register the car in your hometown and then you would pay about $35 per year for cars $55 for trucks(pu). Our state would allow you to not pay sales tax if you can prove you already paid it in your old homestate. You most likely would also get a temporary title good for 30 days which you take to your homestate and purchase a local title and registration.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:20 AM

40 posts, read 273,504 times
Default The cost of living really is that bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by new-to-CO View Post
Hi, Danny, it's true!!!! I just got the hard blow when I had to register my new car a few weeks ago----$413!!!! I about lost it. My 2003 car I had when I moved here was about $125 or so. The cost of living here is insane!!

I'm from Minnesota & the most it's ever cost me back then was $250.00---and I thought the overall cost of everything up there was bad.

Good luck to you!
I'm coming from CA, considering CO - the cost of living can't possibly be as bad there as it is here, can it?

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2007, 08:41 AM

84,962 posts, read 98,795,031 times
SingleNurseMom: Housing is cheaper by far, everything else is similar. Nursing wages are probably lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or