U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 02:13 AM

2,867 posts, read 7,103,247 times

Advertisements

Now that is an actual idea, and it would keep the tourists out too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
I don't really see the issue with Colorado's ownership tax component of vehicle registration. If you don't want to pay the tax, move to a state that doesn't charge an ownership tax/property tax. Be prepared to find other taxes you don't like when you move.
Ok, i get what you're saying, but take my example, Ohio for instance. The only downside is that, well, you have to live in ohio (blech), but the taxes there for EVERYTHING are lower than here. Property taxes, vehicle, hell even food. In Ohio, when you get food for takeout (i.e, Drivethrough) there is no tax charged on it. Something Colorado can't seem to do without.

My 2400 sq ft house has property taxes of, I swear to God, $690 a year. Same house here is more than double that. The more difficult roads and bridges up in the mountains, i get that. But other than that, and the water issues, I can't really see the justification for the exorberant taxes and fees for EVERYTHING. Next thing you know, I'm going to get taxed on using more than 5 sheets of toilet paper in the bathroom.

I hate to see what kind of state we'd be in (pun intended), if it weren't for TABOR. Might as well call it California 2.0

Last edited by ryanek9freak; 06-13-2012 at 02:20 AM.. Reason: Can't spell.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:09 PM

531 posts, read 868,536 times
I personally don't think that the registration fees are that outrageous. We paid $70 last year to register our new to us 2003 Subaru. Certainly cheaper than the insurance, and a small percentage of the cost of gas for the year. Really doesn't seem like that big of a deal and if it pays for new bridges, then I'm all for it.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:10 PM

Says the person without a 3/4 Truck. Although mine IS going down every year, I STILL paid $183 to register my 10 year old Dodge Ram. Unconcionable.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Says the person without a 3/4 Truck. Although mine IS going down every year, I STILL paid $183 to register my 10 year old Dodge Ram. Unconcionable.
What percentage of your annual operating expenses is that? You're driving a truck. It is understood it will cost more with everything.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMike View Post
What percentage of your annual operating expenses is that? You're driving a truck. It is understood it will cost more with everything.

Oh so that just makes it ok? I should not be penalized for my choice of vehicle. Actually it's not a choice, I NEED a truck for my line of work. My original point is that there's no reason WHATSOEVER for a state to charge more money for different vehicles. It should be a flat rate for all cars and flat rate for all 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I don't have a problem with it being higher for each varying grade of pickup, but it shouldn't be different for each and every single vehicle.

How can any of you people possibly support this? Do you enjoy throwing away hundreds of dollars? If so, send some my way

Old 06-14-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Oh so that just makes it ok? I should not be penalized for my choice of vehicle. Actually it's not a choice, I NEED a truck for my line of work. My original point is that there's no reason WHATSOEVER for a state to charge more money for different vehicles. It should be a flat rate for all cars and flat rate for all 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I don't have a problem with it being higher for each varying grade of pickup, but it shouldn't be different for each and every single vehicle.

How can any of you people possibly support this? Do you enjoy throwing away hundreds of dollars? If so, send some my way
The greater the weight of a vehicle, the greater the damage to the road.

Furthermore, you aren't throwing away the money. You are investing in bridges so you can continue to drive your truck safely over various obstacles.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:56 AM

Quote:
The greater the weight of a vehicle, the greater the damage to the road.

Furthermore, you aren't throwing away the money. You are investing in bridges so you can continue to drive your truck safely over various obstacles.
HA! I'm calling your bluff. I wouldn't care if all the roads were dirt and boulders. It would make my commute interesting.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
HA! I'm calling your bluff. I wouldn't care if all the roads were dirt and boulders. It would make my commute interesting.
Unfortunately for you, being a member of society, you have to pay for things you don't want.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
you have to pay for things you don't want.
And herein lies my problem with goverment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or