U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-06-2007, 07:25 AM

95 posts, read 295,208 times
Default Moving to Winter Park

My hubby just accepted a job in Winter Park and we are moving there in a hurry from Houston Texas. Can anyone tell me more about this area (From Winter Park to Granby). We spent 2 days there last week, but that's it. We will need to rent something cheap for a year while our house in Texas sells or leases. We have a toddler as well. Anyone from Winter Park?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 08:22 AM

1,764 posts, read 3,971,842 times
Views like these can't be bad...

http://syedfaisal.com/Photo_Albums/Family_Visit/Panorama01-medium.jpg (broken link)

http://syedfaisal.com/Photo_Albums/Family_Visit/Panorama02-medium.jpg (broken link)

Lots of great hiking, biking, fishing, and skiing (both in-bounds and backcountry) in the area. Just be careful never to speed even 1mph over the limit when driving through the town of Empire (on US-40 right after you get off I-70) -- the whole town is an infamous speed trap.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:53 AM

157 posts, read 692,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randtbrown View Post
My hubby just accepted a job in Winter Park and we are moving there in a hurry from Houston Texas. Can anyone tell me more about this area (From Winter Park to Granby). We spent 2 days there last week, but that's it. We will need to rent something cheap for a year while our house in Texas sells or leases. We have a toddler as well. Anyone from Winter Park?

Have you lived in mountains before? Do you need to commute into Denver much? Youre in for quite a change. Quiet summers, hectic winters. Extreme temperature changes. Culture shock.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:54 AM

157 posts, read 692,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randtbrown View Post

Have you lived in mountains before? Do you need to commute into Denver much? Youre in for quite a change. Quiet summers, hectic winters. Extreme temperature and weather changes. Culture shock.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:19 AM

1,764 posts, read 3,971,842 times
^^^ What kwk said. I assume you'll be working in WP, and not in Denver? If the latter, then driving over Berthoud Pass in the winter can be a hassle. Winters are pretty harsh with low temps and lots of snow. But lots of sunshine helps.

Unlike other ski resorts, WP draws a lot of Denverites out for the day. So it doesn't have the extensive "amenities" at other places.

If you're into outdoor activities, it is a great place with lots of stuff to do all year round.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:38 PM

291 posts, read 1,419,377 times
Yes, it will be a big transition from Houston. It will always be cool, never hot. While winter is snowy, the town gets busier and everyone appreciates every flake of snow. It is one of the few places where there is yet no Wal-Mart, part of the charm.

But the area is spectacular and outdoor activities are among the best in the world. One of the cheaper areas is Fraser, but it is one of the coldest places in the country. They have adopted the moniker, "icebox of the nation", which they took back from International Falls, MN, who forgot to register the term. The main street is named "Xerex", a promtion for anti-freeze. Farther away, in Granby, the town and weather is more palatable, but very small. There are 2 large lakes great for water activities.

I've owned in Winter Park for 15 years and we love it, however, to live full time is an aquired taste and many don't last. Even though winters are cold, they are relatively sunny, but the 'mud season', the spring and fall, the town almost closes down. Fall is even more spectacular, but if you try to garden without a cold frame, the 1st freeze can occur anytime, even tomorrow.

A big plus is W.P. is one of the few resort areas of CO that have not gone nuts...it's relatively reasonable, but by no means, cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado