U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: How do you pronounce Colorado?
Col-o-rad-o 69 38.55%
Col-o-rod-o 94 52.51%
Neither/Both ways 16 8.94%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:35 AM

794 posts, read 649,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domfromco View Post
I'm a native and I've always pronounced it "Callah-raw-dough".
I'm a displaced native and I go with:

Kawl-uh-rad-oh

Old 03-06-2012, 11:40 AM

15,380 posts, read 22,500,812 times
If you went to school in a big city it's colo RAD O
If you went to school in a small town it's colo Rad AH

Old 03-06-2012, 06:45 PM

27,351 posts, read 20,689,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushhournewb View Post
Co-lo-rah-do, Ne-vah-dah. Both wrong!

Another news story on PBS. A pollster was talking with those-who-knew-their-state-governments. The pollster kept calling Nevada Nevahda. The guy from that state finally interrupted the from-back-east pollster with "hey, it's pronounced Nevada. You come out here mispronouncing our state name and nobody will take you seriously". The pollster was miffed being told that, got all huffy---but he indeed was mispronouncing it.

He also mispronounced Colorado but nobody corrected him.

I'm looking at the results of the poll on this thread. Just shows me what percentage of people responding are transplants. Not that being from somewhere else is a bad thing, just learn to pronounce your new adopted states name correctly. Colorado. Makes you wince? Hickenlooper pronounces it correctly, why can't you?
I was the one who said that. My post was meant humorously. We pronounce your state the way we do here in NEW JERSEY, and I'm on the Colorado board telling Coloradonese people that they pronounce it wrong. Ha ha, get it? Maybe not.

Anyway, I had to do a quick Google search to see what a Hickenlooper was. I'll trade you for a Christie.

I was in Colorado Springs for a week a number of years ago. I just could not stop staring at those mountains. I also went horseback riding in Garden of the Gods. Your state is beautiful.

I promise that if I get a chance to visit your Colorado again, I will listen to how the locals pronounce it and respond in kind. Be forewarned, however, that if you say "Oh, JOISEY?" when I say where I am from, you will be slapped upside the head. No one here pronounces New Jersey that way.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:00 PM

8,049 posts, read 9,799,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Ama-ree-oh Texas?
ah-ma-RI-o?

Old 03-07-2012, 09:32 AM

291 posts, read 252,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was the one who said that. My post was meant humorously. We pronounce your state the way we do here in NEW JERSEY, and I'm on the Colorado board telling Coloradonese people that they pronounce it wrong. Ha ha, get it? Maybe not.

Anyway, I had to do a quick Google search to see what a Hickenlooper was. I'll trade you for a Christie.

I was in Colorado Springs for a week a number of years ago. I just could not stop staring at those mountains. I also went horseback riding in Garden of the Gods. Your state is beautiful.

I promise that if I get a chance to visit your Colorado again, I will listen to how the locals pronounce it and respond in kind. Be forewarned, however, that if you say "Oh, JOISEY?" when I say where I am from, you will be slapped upside the head. No one here pronounces New Jersey that way.
Just don't respond in kind if the local pronounces it "Co-lo-rah-do", he's a transplanted local, not a native! Just pronounce it like I do (and the current governor) and you'll seem like a native to the natives.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:37 PM

291 posts, read 252,790 times
I was watching NPR a few nights ago. Gwen Ifill was doing a report about politics and our state. She pronounced "Colorado" correctly every time. I wonder if she was coached or just did it naturally?

And as a side note, my neighbor from Texas pronounced "Colorado" correctly when we all had dinner together recently. I guess me getting on his case about "Colorahdo" changed his mind.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:10 PM

701 posts, read 344,466 times
Tom Brookshier, Sportscaster and U. of Colorado grad always said Kah-lo-ray-doh on his TV broadcasts.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:55 PM

14,141 posts, read 15,770,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
Tom Brookshier, Sportscaster and U. of Colorado grad always said Kah-lo-ray-doh on his TV broadcasts.
Perhaps a Southern pronunciation from growing up in NM.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:22 PM

7,993 posts, read 15,556,390 times
Might as well give another Colorado history lesson. As most people should know (but many don't), what is now the state of Colorado south of the Arkansas River or west of the Continental Divide was originally claimed by Spain and later was part of Mexico until the Mexican Cession of 1848. So, not surprisingly, a lot of Colorado place names in the southern and western parts of Colorado are of Spanish origin, as is the name of the state itself. A lot of Indian names for places in Colorado are Spanish phonetic spellings of Ute words or proper names. Some examples, are Saguache, Tabeguache, Sapinero, Dotsero, etc.

Another bunch of Spanish place names came with the building of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad. General William Jackson Palmer, the founder of the D&RG, originally envisioned building a north-south narrow-gauge railroad from Denver to Mexico City, Mexico following the Front Range south, thence over Raton Pass into New Mexico and eventually following the Rio Grande River to the Mexican border and points south. He envisioned strong trade ties with Old Mexico and, as a result, directed that hundreds of sidings, railroad water tank locations, and railroad-sponsored and developed settlements along the D&RG in Colorado be given Spanish names. Prominent Colorado towns of today that Palmer so named in include Salida, Alamosa, and Durango. When the D&RG lost the Royal Gorge "War" with the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway in 1878, the D&RG was prohibited from building any farther south in New Mexico than (eventually) Santa Fe, and the D&RG's fortunes turned forever westward toward the Colorado mining camps and Utah.

Coincident with that, the ethnic makeup of Colorado, and southern Colorado in particular, began to change rapidly, and what was a Hispanic ethnic majority in much of southern Colorado soon became and Anglo majority in many places. The state was flooded with white immigrants, many from the East, South, and Midwest. Many of these people had no previous contact with the Spanish language and many of them, quite frankly, were openly racist against the Hispanic residents of Colorado. So, from a combination of ignorance and/or outright hostility, many of those Anglo people mispronounced many of Colorado's Spanish placenames--even the state name itself--with a sloppy English phonetic pronunciation of the Spanish names. In many cases, that sloppy and linguistically incorrect pronunciation is what has "stuck" over the years. Many, if not most, of the people who mispronounce the Spanish names yet today don't even know that they are doing it because, like their ancestors, they were never really exposed to the Spanish language.

The one untruth that keeps being perpetrated in this thread is that long-time Coloradans do not pronounce the state name using the Spanish pronunciation. THAT IS PURE CRAP. Certainly, nearly all of Colorado's native Hispanic population uses the Spanish pronunciation, as do many Colorado-born Anglos. You won't hear the Spanish pronunciation as much in northern, eastern, and metro Colorado because far more of that population is either descended from, or relatively recently transplanted from the Midwest and East. It seems that most of the posters who continually harp that "Colorado" pronounced with the short "a" is correct are in the bunch of Midwest/East Anglo crowd from eastern Colorado, northern Colorado, or the Front Range.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:01 AM

8,086 posts, read 13,029,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It's actually Fluh-ree-duh, right?
eFing Lower Alabama... fla.

Cah low rod oh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado