Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you pronounce Colorado?
Col-o-rad-o 69 38.55%
Col-o-rod-o 94 52.51%
Neither/Both ways 16 8.94%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 01:44 PM

16,433 posts, read 22,102,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Co-lo-rrrah-dough. It's a damn Spanish word. If your going to steal it at least pronounce it correctly.
I see how it is, you're going to play the scholarship and knowledge card on us, huh? Anybody can win an argument if they know stuff and all...

Last edited by Bideshi; 10-30-2010 at 01:55 PM..

Old 10-30-2010, 02:07 PM

5,030 posts, read 6,306,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Co-lo-rrrah-dough. It's a damn Spanish word. If your going to steal it at least pronounce it correctly.
Co-lo-rad-o.

I don't try to pronounce British cities like I have a thick English accent. I've always fond it faintly ridiculous and jarring listening to people rattling on in relatively unaccented English suddenly trying to act like they have an extremely thick Spanish accent for one word, usually a city or name...very common among newscasters, but still ridiculous.

[Kansas City accent]"And today, over by the dump, a pickup truck dropped off a load of trash in[/Kansas City accent]
[Colombian accent]Soledad de Graciano Sanchez"[/Colombian accent]

Old 10-30-2010, 02:16 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,575,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Co-lo-rad-o.

I don't try to pronounce British cities like I have a thick English accent. I've always fond it faintly ridiculous and jarring listening to people rattling on in relatively unaccented English suddenly trying to act like they have an extremely thick Spanish accent for one word, usually a city or name...very common among newscasters, but still ridiculous.

[Kansas City accent]"And today, over by the dump, a pickup truck dropped off a load of trash in[/Kansas City accent]
[Colombian accent]Soledad de Graciano Sanchez"[/Colombian accent]
I agree. This isn't mexico or spain.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:44 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,495,617 times
Get over yourselves gente it was a HaHa. LOL.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:45 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,495,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I see how it is, you're going to play the scholarship and knowledge card on us, huh? Anybody can win an argument if they know stuff and all...
LMAO well just be careful next time.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:41 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,113,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I agree. This isn't mexico or spain.
Agreed. Would love to see someone wander around Durango pronouncing it Dur-on-go. They'd get some "wth" looks.

This has been mentioned before but a lot of old time residents pronounced it Col-or-a-duh.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:09 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,611,214 times
It seems most people are "rad" vs. "rod." It also seems as there really isn't a consensus, unlinke Nevada and Oregon where there is a definite way people who live there pronounce the state.

I guess it's like "Pueblo." I met an old native who kept calling in "Pe-eh-bl-uh." Many who live there say "Pweblo."

It's interesting that a town like Durango is Americanized, but Canon City, Pueblo, and Saguache are not.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:00 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
Most every Colorado native I know pronounces it with the Spanish pronunciation. Midwesterners and other transplants and pilgrims usually are the ones saying Colo-ra-do with the short "a", rather than the "ah" Spanish pronunciation. The number who responded to the poll by voting for the bastardized English pronunciation just show how overrun the state is with non-natives . . . 'nuff said.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:20 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,113,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Most every Colorado native I know pronounces it with the Spanish pronunciation. Midwesterners and other transplants and pilgrims usually are the ones saying Colo-ra-do with the short "a", rather than the "ah" Spanish pronunciation. The number who responded to the poll by voting for the bastardized English pronunciation just show how overrun the state is with non-natives . . . 'nuff said.
Maybe in your part of the state but I can tell you that my Dur-ayn-go relatives (whose roots go back there before its 1881 founding) pronounce it with a rad, not a rod and as I said before the really old ones around there put a "duh" on the end of it. Remember that most of the new arrivals came from the Midwest, even way back then and handed their speechways down through the generations.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:41 PM

5,030 posts, read 6,306,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Wow. Bummer. Too bad you can't close off the state's borders, I guess you'll just have to live in abject misery.

Maybe you should leave...but then you'd be somewhere were somebody's family had been there for generations carping on you for looking for someplace nice. You'd probably think that was extremely rude, and get tired of them never SHUTTING UP ABOUT IT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado