Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you pronounce Colorado?
Col-o-rad-o 69 38.55%
Col-o-rod-o 94 52.51%
Neither/Both ways 16 8.94%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 03:41 PM

352 posts, read 710,237 times

Advertisements

All the referees in the CU-CSU football game pronounced our state name correctly, as in "Time Out Colorado". It was wonderful to hear.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
Co-lo-ra-do. Is there another way?
Look at the 92 votes up in the poll results for "rodo".

Maybe the people who are voting for the wrong pronunciation are pronouncing the wrong spelling like "rad" so they think they're voting for the correct pronunciation?

Old 09-03-2013, 05:52 PM

542 posts, read 1,541,525 times
Default "Correct" based on what?

Is this really a thread about how all of us non-spanish speaking Americans pronounce a Spanish word? Because the fact is, neither Colo-rad-o nor Colo-rod-o are correct, because Americans never even get the first syllable right. Americans always say either Caller-add-o or Caller-odd-o. If you really want to say it correctly, every "o" should sound like "o" not anything else. Also, the "r" should be one hard flick of the tongue against the roof of your mouth (as if you're rolling your r's, or making a purring sound, but you only do one flick instead of the roll). And, they pronounce the letter "d" more like how we do a "th" sound. So if you want to get really technical, you should say coe-low-RAW-tho. Then wait for everyone to look at you funny.

Truth is, I don't care how people say Colorado (I typically say it like "rod" not "rad" myself). Heck, no one pronounces Los Angeles correctly here, and no one makes a fuss (loss ANN-juh-liss, anyone? ). Really, you have to define "correctly" to even have this conversation. Correctly based on the language of origin? Correctly based on what locals say? Correctly based on English phonetics?

For the record, I'm as white as they come, only speak English, but paid attention back in my Spanish classes in school so I know how to pronounce Spanish words.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie Girl View Post
Is this really a thread about how all of us non-spanish speaking Americans pronounce a Spanish word? Because the fact is, neither Colo-rad-o nor Colo-rod-o are correct, because Americans never even get the first syllable right. Americans always say either Caller-add-o or Caller-odd-o. If you really want to say it correctly, every "o" should sound like "o" not anything else. Also, the "r" should be one hard flick of the tongue against the roof of your mouth (as if you're rolling your r's, or making a purring sound, but you only do one flick instead of the roll). And, they pronounce the letter "d" more like how we do a "th" sound. So if you want to get really technical, you should say coe-low-RAW-tho. Then wait for everyone to look at you funny.

Truth is, I don't care how people say Colorado (I typically say it like "rod" not "rad" myself). Heck, no one pronounces Los Angeles correctly here, and no one makes a fuss (loss ANN-juh-liss, anyone? ). Really, you have to define "correctly" to even have this conversation. Correctly based on the language of origin? Correctly based on what locals say? Correctly based on English phonetics?

For the record, I'm as white as they come, only speak English, but paid attention back in my Spanish classes in school so I know how to pronounce Spanish words.
Great, a girl in LA pronounces our state name wrong. Why do we need to know that?

Old 09-03-2013, 08:14 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
My message to all of the pronunciation nazis: Chill out, and realize the insignificance of how the word Colorado is pronounced. As long as the person on the receiving end knows what you are talking about, the pronunciation is of secondary importance.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:16 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
My message to all of the pronunciation nazis: Chill out, and realize the insignificance of how the word Colorado is pronounced. As long as the person on the receiving end knows what you are talking about, the pronunciation is of secondary importance.
Thank you. A perfect place to end this thread. I'm sick of it and I'm sure that others are too. CLOSED.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado