U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 03:26 PM

7 posts, read 20,303 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our mid-twenties. We are from Southern Michigan and looking to relocate to Colorado in a few months. Before I can start my job search, (copywriter for advertising agency), I want to find an area that we would love.

A little about us: We LOVE the outdoors, have 2 dogs and 2 cats, love hole-in-the-walls, love good food in general, culture, public transit, and we're very tolerant. We also love places that seem to have character.

Any ideas of areas might we like? We're open to commuting or living within a city (so long as there is grass/yards!)

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 04:08 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,572,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtompkins View Post
We LOVE the outdoors, have 2 dogs and 2 cats, love hole-in-the-walls, love good food in general, culture, public transit, and we're very tolerant. We also love places that seem to have character.

Any ideas of areas might we like? We're open to commuting or living within a city (so long as there is grass/yards!)

Thanks!!
Outdoors: Anywhere in Colorado is near outdoor activities.

Hole-in-the-walls: Anywhere in Colorado.

Good food: Denver. Boulder is a far second, in my opinion.

Culture: Denver. Boulder is second, in my opinion.

Transit: All buses lead to Denver and it has a light rail.

Diversity: The Springs has a military base and Denver is a city. Both have more diversity than you'll find elsewhere.

Character: Not out west. It's very towny.

Grass: Denver has many beautiful homes if you can afford them.

We, former Michiganders, moved to Loveland and are very pleased with the choice. We're in driving distance to an amazingly beautiful national park that only costs $40 for an annual pass. We have recreation trails within blocks of our home. The city has been very responsive to the minor problems we've had. Neighbors are very friendly if you take care of your property. Homes are relatively cheap. The commutes to Fort Collins, Boulder and Denver (the likely places you'll find your type of work) are reasonable for the natives but brief for Michiganders and we have an easy drive when we want bigger city culture and food but we're not rural.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:47 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,780,481 times
You've got it bass ackwards. Find a job first--very difficult in the current economy--THEN figure out where you can live that is reasonably close by.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:16 PM

Jazzlover - though I appreciate the advice, it doesn't stop me from wanting to know more about the areas of Colorado. As I said, a commute is okay by me, so right now I'm gathering as much info as I can.

Also, I'm coming from Michigan - so I cannot imagine jobs are nearly as hard to come by in CO as they are here!

Old 11-06-2010, 09:00 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,572,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtompkins View Post
Also, I'm coming from Michigan - so I cannot imagine jobs are nearly as hard to come by in CO as they are here!
Well, I think you're going to discover that many people here are very provincial and that's going to be a challenge worth a few unemployment points.

I wouldn't discourage you from moving here but I really hope you have a safety net. As you know, that's good advice for anywhere you move.

For work, get a closer look at Denver.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:16 PM

86,883 posts, read 102,281,764 times
I don't often agree with jazzlover, but he's right. For the work the OP does, I would say Denver is the place to look for a job.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I suppose I should have made it clear in my first post, I plan on having a job lined up before making the move to Colorado. I would never make the move without one. However, I'm still just curious to hear more about areas and/or neighborhoods that might suit a young married couple such as ourselves. (foodies, animal lovers, outdoorsy, tolerant, culture-seeking, semi-private, etc)

It sounds that Denver is the favorite choice though, which is fine. Since I currently have a stable job here in Michigan, I'm purely (thinking of) moving because I'm intrigued by Colorado. We want to have a family one day and to establish roots in a city/state which fits us.

Again, I appreciate the concern/caution about job searching, but I'm really wanting to hear opinions about the areas, not jobs! Thanks

Old 11-06-2010, 09:38 PM

Homogenizer - Thanks for your first response, it was helpful

Old 11-06-2010, 10:18 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,395,776 times
I lived in the Lansing area for a number of years and then lived in Grand Rapids after graduating from college. GR was by far my favorite place to live in Michigan. I now live in the Colorado Springs area and COS reminds me of GR, other than the downtown (GR has a much better downtown). It's the perfect size town, not too big and not too small. Taxes are cheap and low crime.

Denver is too big for me. I prefer the smaller feel of Colorado Springs. Plus, Denver is a short 45 minute drive from Colorado Springs when you want to experience big city stuff (high end shopping, sporting events).

You really need to take a vacation to Colorado for a week and experience it all for yourself. This is what we did when we were looking at moving.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:20 PM

86,883 posts, read 102,281,764 times
It depends on which of your priorities are most important, the "deal breakers" and which you could compromise on. The cultural scene is Denver first by a huge lead, then Boulder, and then I don't know what. Denver has the professional symphony, acting company, ballet company, the big museums, and other stuff that makes up "culture". Also, the big concerts generally come to Denver. It's also the home of the professional sports (though not mentioned as a priority of yours). A lot of Boulder's cultural offerings are based out of CU.

There is little diversity outside of Denver and its burbs (some of which are quite diverse) and Colorado Springs.

The transit is basically RTD, basically Denver and its suburbs. Colorado Springs doesn't have much, and they have cut back a lot. I don't know if the other cities have any public transportation. You can get a lot of information from this website: http://www.rtd-denver.com/

I'm not sure what you mean by "character".

The rest you can find anywhere in CO. It's less "grassy" in the western part of the state. You may find CO very brown in general, compared to Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or