U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 10:40 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times

Advertisements

jazzlover

Quote:
original by: jazzlover

Personally, I don't think it should be the federal government's obligation to bail people's sorry ****s out when they choose to build and live in an area absolutely prone to forest fires any more than it should be the fed's obligation to bail people out who knowingly build in designated flood plains or coastal areas subject to erosion. If people choose to build in those areas, they should accept the risk and not look to the rest of us to bail them out of their folly.
It couldn't be said any better than this! During my 16 yrs in Virginia Beach, year after year, certain beaches had to be replenished to protect the beachfront homes costing taxpayers millions of dollars, primarily to benefit a small number of wealthy idiots who feel entitled to receive government handouts.

blessings...Franco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 02:35 PM

10 posts, read 41,996 times
yeah, check out this article on thwarting the beetle invasion..

Colorado town aims to thwart beetle invasion : National-World : Albuquerque Tribune (broken link)

Old 07-16-2007, 03:03 PM

13,631 posts, read 21,489,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben.hereford View Post
DO NOT WORRY ABOUT IT!!! It's a natural thing, and will ot harm Colorado's trees, they will grow back. The reason for it is that there was an overpopulation of trees in Colorado, so the beetle kicked in. No worries, it's "natures way."
NO! NO! WE NEED TO ALL WORRY! IT'S GLOBAL WARMING!! PLUS WE'VE GOT TO WATCH OUT FOR MANBEARPIG!!!!! I'M SERIAL!!! MANBEARPIG IS COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! COME ON PEOPLE!!!!!!!! I'M SERIAL.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:34 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
McGowdog

Quote:
original by: McGowdog

NO! NO! WE NEED TO ALL WORRY! IT'S GLOBAL WARMING!! PLUS WE'VE GOT TO WATCH OUT FOR MANBEARPIG!!!!! I'M SERIAL!!! MANBEARPIG IS COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! COME ON PEOPLE!!!!!!!! I'M SERIAL.
I respectfully dis-agree. Worrying is not going to change the situation whatever the cause. What we need instead of worry is clear thinking and effective action.

regards...Franco

Old 07-16-2007, 03:48 PM

Oh. You're right! We must not worry. But what about MANBEARPIG?

Old 07-16-2007, 03:49 PM

296 posts, read 1,052,180 times
I was just in Grand Lake and I can tell you from direct observation that 75-90% of the lodgepole pines in that area are already dead from the pine beetles. It's quite amazing to see. It's too late to do anything there.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:37 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
There is a lot of evidence that the Utes would deliberately set fires to clear trees to make more grass and forage for the game they hunted. Quite often they would start those fires in late summer or early fall and the let the first snows put them out. In 1879, some of the most extensive forest fires in Colorado's history burned through southwestern Colorado. 1879 was an especially dry year, and many of the fires were thought to have been lightning caused. That said, some still wonder if the Utes--about to be removed to reservations--may have set some of the fires much earlier in the summer than was their typical practice just to spite the whites entering their former hunting areas. At any rate, there are still huge areas that are still devoid of trees from those fires in 1879. A good example is around Cumbres Pass on the Colorado-New Mexico border. A lot of people think that area is near timberline because of the scarcity of trees. It's not--it's a result of the 1879 fire and trees are re-colonizing the open meadows at a very slow rate. Actually, today the meadows are quite beautiful, but early photos of that area (around 1880-81) show massive numbers of burned trees and snags. Such is nature's way . . .

Old 07-18-2007, 11:25 PM

404 posts, read 513,476 times
I read somewhere on the net that the largest living organism on the planet was a stand of Aspen Trees in Colorado. Maybe it was a national thing. Seems like the Brazilian rain forest would be a little larger.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:46 AM

The Aspen tree is perhaps currently the largest. There's one cluster out in Utah that is a cluster of some 41 thousand trees living off of one root stock. I think it weighs about 12 million pounds, surpassing some giant mushroom in Oregon or Washington or wherever. What's important here folks is MANBEARPIG! I'm Serial!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado