U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2007, 07:42 PM

12 posts, read 50,962 times

Advertisements

I am moving to GJ form abilene, tx. Can anyone tell me what the winters are like and how cold it gets, snowy, etc... I drove through a couple of weeks ago(June) and was shocked at how hot it was, 102 I think, it was cooler in abilene than up there. Also is there a better part of town to live in than other parts, I noticed that there are several cities around GJ. I have 3 kids, one in JR high the other elementary, and one not in school. Seemed like a descent town, and rent doesn't seem as high as other boom towns. Any info on the GJ area would be helpful.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 08:02 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,120,672 times
Grand Junction gets relatively little snow in the winter--probably around 18" or so. Winters can see temperatures get down near zero at night, into the low to mid-40's for a high on winter days. Temperatures in the high 90's or low 100's are pretty common most summers.

Grand Junction is indeed booming, and it is suffering the effects of it. I personally think (though others will disagree) that it has pretty significant crime problems--out of proportion for a city its size. I still have family who lives near there, and they tell me the police blotter in the Grand Junction paper is a pretty depressing read.

As for towns, probably my favorite in the Grand Valley is Palisade and south of it on East Orchard Mesa. That area is about as close as one can get to what the whole valley was like 20 or 30 years ago. Much of the rest of the Grand Valley is just turning into suburbia now. I admit that I'm prejudiced because I remember what that area WAS like 30 or so years ago--less money, for sure, but less crowded, less traffic, less sprawl, less crime, too. Many newbies think it's great, but it's not near as nice as it was.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:03 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,465,200 times
cdickinson

I've been living in Grand Junction since 7/23/2006. I tried pasting the daily High & Low temperatures, but I couldn't paste it in a readable format.

Last winter there were 23 days when the high temp was 32 or less. The coldest temperature of the winter was -8. There were 6 low temperatures of 0 or less. I seem to recall that we had less than 10 inches of snow. It is SUNNY most of the time.

Thus far there have been 7 days this summer with triple digit highs. The high temp has been 95 or more since 6/19. It is almost ALWAYS SUNNY.

I hope this is helpful.

regards...Franco

Old 07-09-2007, 06:41 PM

12 posts, read 50,962 times
Thanks for the info, sounds like it gets pretty cold but manageable. Would anyone recommend a certain part of town not to live in?

Old 07-09-2007, 08:53 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,746,870 times
I lived in GJ for about 2 1/2 years (miss it a lot).

Anyhow, winters hardly have any snow. It can be cold but since the humidity is pretty low, it's not that bad at all. Also, since it isn't windy like the Front Range (think wind chills over here at -0 and below at times) the area feels a lot warmer than many other places.

The summers can be very hot but most homes built in the last part of the 1900s either have evap coolers or A/C. Evap coolers are preferable since the humidity is low enough to use them and they run on pennies a day unlike AC.

There aren't any real, real bad areas of GJ but down by the bridge that you head over to go towards Delta (if memory serves me correctly) isn't the best. Since GJ and surrounding communities didn't have a long term plan for properties a while back, many homes are kind of mixed in their size and value. That has changed over the last 15 years though.

Since you have kids, keep them occupied with activities in school and outside stuff too. There is not a lot for kids (especially when they get in their teens) to do so many seem to get in trouble.

Used to have a couple of cars the two summers I lived there in the canal behind my house. It was quite interesting to watch the fire department dive to see if anyone was in the cars and then have the tow truck with a crane like apparatus (sp) pull the cars out. Also, I used to take my dog up in the early mornings off 25 Road to the BLM land and would find the remains of the previous night's party complete with beer cans, campfire remains and sometimes even ice still melting.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:52 PM

63 posts, read 305,913 times
GJ Weather is rather mild.. they get snow..

Crime is not as bad as the other post said.. I have family there and you may want to lock your doors ,but me originally being from Los Angeles ..well

Growth is there but leveled a bit..
still a super place to live

HM

Old 07-11-2007, 09:36 AM

cdickinson4

Quote:
Thanks for the info, sounds like it gets pretty cold but manageable. Would anyone recommend a certain part of town not to live in?
Certain areas of Clifton appear to be very unattractive to my eye. I don't even enjoy driving through Clifton. NO offense intended to anyone who lives there....it's just not my cup of tea.

many blessings...Franco

Old 07-11-2007, 12:01 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,643,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
cdickinson4

Certain areas of Clifton appear to be very unattractive to my eye. I don't even enjoy driving through Clifton. NO offense intended to anyone who lives there....it's just not my cup of tea.

many blessings...Franco
I agree... I'm not a huge fan of the Clifton area. I think alot of the crime in the valley is confined to the Clifton area... I have alot of family in the Grand Valley and they have told me that there is a large meth trafficing problem in and around Clifton.

I also agree with Jazzlover... Grand Junction is growing and it's lost alot of its small town charm. I still think it's one of the best areas to live in Colorado but I hate to see it get too big. I have family that has lived in Glade Park for decades and even that once secluded area is more crowded than it used to be.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:25 PM

downtownnola & jazzlover

You guys make me think I'm fortunate that I didn't know Grand Junction before it was discovered. It's far from being perfect, but it's still a great place...it must have been fabulous in the good old days!

many blessings...Franco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or