U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:33 AM

19 posts, read 80,800 times

Advertisements

I've read through pages of posts, but am looking for a little more specifics...hopefully you guys can help.

My boyfriend is getting transferred to Denver (office is downtown) next month and we are trying to narrow down our choices of cities to live in so we can find a rental. This is what we are looking for...can someone please tell me what city would provide most of these for us?

-Within 20 minutes of a state park or somewhere we can hike with the dogs
-Mountain views...no barren flatlands...hopefully convenient mountain access
-Established neighborhoods with access to major stores & shopping centers
-No more than a 45 minute drive to downtown
-Middle class to upper middle class neighbors

At this point, we are only looking to rent, though in a year or so when we buy, we will have more concerns regarding schools, taxes, property values, etc. Ideally we will buy in the same location we rent, but our immediate concern is finding a neighborhood with convenient access to our hobies (kayaking, mountain biking, rafting, hiking).

Any thoughts out there? We have heard from friends that Parker, Castle Rock, and Littleton are nice, but we are very open to ideas and personal opinions from others.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 01:32 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,511,378 times
Sounds like you might enjoy living near the foothills. Golden, Morrison, or even Boulder are obvious choices for you. Western Lakewood would also give you outstanding proximity to the mountains.

Of the places you mentioned, Littleton is also relatively close to the mountains. Parker is a nice community with decent views but is far out east. Castle Rock, despite being relatively close to mountains and enjoying views, is also far from the common routes to actually go to the mountains.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:21 PM

1,872 posts, read 5,651,014 times
Seconded on Golden, Morrison, and western Lakewood. We used to live in Lakewood (around US-285 and C-470) -- we could walk/bike to Bear Creek Park and onto the foothills without getting in a car. Lots of open space parks with miles of trails in the area. Would seem to fulfill most of your requirements.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:36 PM

3,029 posts, read 10,443,565 times
^yep. Golden would be my number 1 (I love that town, the views of Downtown at night are very nice too!)
morrison has a great location near Red Rocks and Bear Creek lake
but Lakewood would be the only that's close to within 45 min of Denver. Traffic has gotten bad.

Also add evergreen (but it's out from Denver)

The Bowmar area out by Chatfiled res is easy acess to the moutains via C470and has some nice views.

Parker is out east.... Most everything East of colorado is realitively flat.
Castle rock is south and also far from 45 minutes to downtown denver

you have to realise that what you want is hard to come by...
less than 45 minutes to Downtown Denver...but within 20 minutes of a state park, moutian views...close to major shopping but easy acess to the mountians..middle class to upper middle class neighbors etc...

what is your price range??

Old 07-10-2007, 03:54 PM

156 posts, read 874,930 times
I would also say Lakewood, western Littleton, Wheatridge, Arvada.
Sounds like you might want to start with a rental somewhere in Jefferson County. Big area to choose from.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:43 PM

10,868 posts, read 41,128,193 times
You'll need to be on the 6th ave corridor or the I-70, possible I-76 corridors on the west side of Denver to try to meet all your requirements.

Lakewood, Applewood, almost out to Golden would work.

Possibly as far SW as KenCaryl Ranch area, which would be C470 to I70 commute. Depending upon the hour you plan to travel, you could miss most of the rush hour traffic in that area.

Bow Mar is an option.

Price point will be a big issue, and just how much house you want to have.

I'm curious how the above poster can make it from Nederland to Denver in 45 minutes ... helicopter?

Old 07-10-2007, 05:46 PM

20 posts, read 83,934 times
Nederland, CO is my personal favorite, becuase it's close to all of the major cities, has every single type of Colorado activity right in your backyard. It's a mountain town conveniantly placed right in the mountains, right next to Roosevelt National Park and the nearbly mountains. It's a beautiful drive too, slicing right through mountains and canyons and Roosevely National Park, and easy too, seeing as RTD (one of Denver's many transportation forms, coming into Nedralnd with buses, and traveling all over Denver and Denver metropolitan areas) goes right through Nederland, and is a few minutes drive rith to Denver. I recomend Nederland.
(Photo taken in Nederland, CO)

Old 07-10-2007, 05:48 PM

1,872 posts, read 5,651,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I'm curious how the above poster can make it from Nederland to Denver in 45 minutes ... helicopter?
My thoughts exactly.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:09 PM

2,621 posts, read 2,023,746 times
Check out north evergreen.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:28 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,443,565 times
Quote:
RTD (one of Denver's many transportation forms, coming into Nedralnd with buses, and traveling all over Denver and Denver metropolitan areas) goes right through Nederland, and is a few minutes drive rith to Denver.
a few minutes drive??? waht are you smoking? These threads are to help the OP not confusing htem by alluding that you could commute on a daily basis from Nederland to Downtown Denver in under 60min. (especially in winter!!)

Nederland is in a beautiful area and would definately suggest going up there for a weekend etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or