Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:07 PM

6 posts, read 19,028 times

Advertisements

I am in the fortunate position to pick a place, anywhere in the U.S., for my family to live. We moved to the CO front range and now we want to move further into the mountains to ski, enjoy river or lake activities, and good air and water quality. Good schools and recreation are key, with decent medical care available. Elevation can't be much beyond 8000 ft. at base. We like Basalt yet hear there are drug issues extending from Aspen. All comments are much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 09:26 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
All towns have drug issues these days. Anything that is going on in Aspen will most likely pale in comparison to what is going on in the front range. Since the population base is much smaller the police are very active in the community and tend to know where the trouble makers are. Basalt is a great family oriented town, the downtown area and Willits are very family friendly. You may also look at Edwards, Eagle, Avon, the Vail Valley has good schools, good medical and lots of recreation.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:15 AM

137 posts, read 400,377 times
I think Durango would be a great family/ski area town. Big enough for most services, great downtown, Durango Ski mountain right next door, Mesa Verde National Park, good schools, great family rec and aquatic center and a small college. All below 8,000 feet.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:25 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
"Family oriented" and "ski town" are pretty much mutually exclusive--not where I would choose to raise kids. Durango would probably be the best of the lot, though a guy I know who was a school administrator there had horror stories to tell about the "spoiled rich brats" effect on the schools there.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:42 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
"progressive"??? What does that mean?

Other than some limo liberals(do as I say not as I do) in Aspen, who I happen to have plenty of experience with, ski towns are not the place to seek out "progressive" which to me means government control and rule making.

Ski towns are about skiing, partying, real estate and the people that can afford it. Not much else. It's all about good times and an escape. An influx of money and the illusion that these towns are the place to be, is what keeps them alive, so anything "progressive" that stands in the way, fortunately, usually gets squashed.

The good schools are the private schools.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:55 PM

22 posts, read 83,903 times
I think it is great that you can choose a place to live. I will give you my top 4 Colorado ski towns and then maybe throw out a few others.

1- Crested Butte

This is my favorite place to go in Colorado for skiiing and ski town atmosphere. It is not stuffy by any means. The skiing is great and the people are some of the friendliest in the state. Access is a problem as it is very isolated and health care needs will be met in Gunnison or Montrose. Summers in Crested Butte are awesome as well.

2- Steamboat Springs

Once again, off the beaten path. Steamboat Springs is constantly ranked as the top family ski resort in the nation. Great activities for kids, etc.. SP has a great ski town feel and has not been completely over run yet by corporate America.

3- Telluride

Just speaking of terrain and views Telluride gets my vote every time. It is very remote. Healthcare will have to be had in Montrose. The town is very small and the locals are "unique" to say the least but most of them are very friendly and you will definitely find the "progressive" attitudes you are seeking.

4- Vail

Close to everything. (if that is what you want) Many ski areas close by. Gets very crowded.

Thinking outside the box a little you may consider Park City. Park is my absolute favorite ski area in the United States. I speak collectively, Park City, Deer Valley and the Canyons. The atmosphere is great. Shopping, food, entertainment is all top notch and you are just minutes from everything you could ever need in SLC.

Best of luck.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:11 PM

6 posts, read 19,028 times
Terrific feedback!! Leaning towards Steamboat Springs. Will review Park City a bit deeper, yet would love to remain in CO. Still open. Many thanks to all..

Old 11-15-2010, 02:21 PM

6,779 posts, read 9,332,326 times
Residents were rallying against plastic bags last time I visited Telluride. It might be worth a look.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:26 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,447,251 times
I think Telluride is your best bet...Great skiing and views, not so good in Healthcare. I understand the schools are great...The kids are taught all about global warming and the evils of Capitalism from what my grandson experienced..........
I was in a coffee house there last month and there were 5 trustafarians sitting at a table next to me who thought the USA should be turned into a giant commune...These type of sentiments are generally what I run into when I'm over there....To each, there own....
Telluride is my favorite for strictly skiing.....I think you should check it out first....
For me, Crested Butte can't be beat for an all year habitation...

Old 11-15-2010, 04:08 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
If I was in a position of having no dependence on the local economy, Crested Butte would be high on my list, especially thru the summer months. Not being much of a snow lover and/or cold weather fan at this time in my life, I don't think I could handle the entire winter without at least a month in a warm weather climate to break up the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado