Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:58 PM

2 posts, read 9,573 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I are trying to relocate anywhere out of California. We are Christians who lean slightly to the right politically who are looking for a smaller town where we can safely raise our kids and eventually retire.
Any thoughts on a nice community based place? We like places with a sense of community, concerts in the park, farmers market ect.
Any input would be really appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 11:24 PM

150 posts, read 518,176 times
In my experience colorado is left leaning,not as left as califonia.I dont know what town size you were looking for but I lived in sterling for 5 months and it was a realy nice comunity more conservative than some other parts of colorado, But a zero on trendy.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:34 PM

362 posts, read 1,848,159 times
The only really left towns are Boulder, Denver (parts), and some of the ski towns. Anywhere else is pretty Republican, and very friendly.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:28 AM

431 posts, read 2,786,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcnc View Post
Hi,
My husband and I are trying to relocate anywhere out of California. We are Christians who lean slightly to the right politically who are looking for a smaller town where we can safely raise our kids and eventually retire.
Any thoughts on a nice community based place? We like places with a sense of community, concerts in the park, farmers market ect.
Any input would be really appreciated.
Thanks!
Sound like our town of Canon City. Don't know the age of your kids, for many older kids from large cities have a problem of readjusting to a small town. Well, same with adults that are used to being "entertained" as in something to do. To joining in with others to making your own . Employment is a problem here tho. Coming from Calif. the wage scale will be a big shock. Yes, concerts in the park, yes farmers market, number of activities in the parks as art etc. Just about any church you can think of and some I am sure you never heard of. Large city people say, lacking in culture and entertainment---whatever that means. Is not culture and entertainment in the eye of the beholder? Never could understand that term being used a great deal on this forum. What is "culture"? and what entertains one doesn't another.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 5,916 times
Maybe the Cortez/Dolores/Mancos area in southwest Colorado would suit you. There are a lot of opportunities for recreation in this area and the weather is mild. Great for horse property and easy travel to several national parks in CO and Utah. They have farmers' markets and there is a beautiful park in Cortez. Cortez has a hospital and Durango has an excellent hospital. Close to Durango and Farmington, NM for big box stores too. Cortez has an online newpaper, the Cortez Journal, that will give you a feel of the community.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiner View Post
Maybe the Cortez/Dolores/Mancos area in southwest Colorado would suit you. There are a lot of opportunities for recreation in this area and the weather is mild. Great for horse property and easy travel to several national parks in CO and Utah. They have farmers' markets and there is a beautiful park in Cortez. Cortez has a hospital and Durango has an excellent hospital. Close to Durango and Farmington, NM for big box stores too. Cortez has an online newpaper, the Cortez Journal, that will give you a feel of the community.
Good idea, check out Colorado newspapers. They do give a feel sometimes.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:40 PM

11 posts, read 46,848 times
Hi, this question isn't so much about Canon City, although we could talk about that too, but more a question regarding your christian beliefs, We too are christians and find ourselves wanting to move to a different town, however, we find ourselves wondering if it's Gods will for us; or our own will going against Gods. Do you struggle with this also, or do you feel God leading you away from you currently live, Thank you and I 'll look for your reply.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntrygrl View Post
Hi, this question isn't so much about Canon City, although we could talk about that too, but more a question regarding your christian beliefs, We too are christians and find ourselves wanting to move to a different town, however, we find ourselves wondering if it's Gods will for us; or our own will going against Gods. Do you struggle with this also, or do you feel God leading you away from you currently live, Thank you and I 'll look for your reply.
We lived where we could earn a living and raise our children in a friendly, Christian way. No,we never stewed or worried about it. We did what was needed the best we knew how. My husband was born here and my parents moved here when I was in my last yr in grade school, altho I too was born in Colorado. We left for a job and some yrs later came back for a job, perhaps the good Lord was directing us. I feel that if you want to move and it is a happy thing for you and yours then it is God's Will. I believe that God wants us to be happy in our short time here on earth. We are lucky to live in the USA(lucky? or God's will???,I don't question) and we are free to worship our way wherever we choose to live, after all, God is everywhere. Canon has it flaws too, but we like it and the people. May I ask what is your preference in churches? We have many just wanted to tell you if we have the one you attend.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:07 PM

5 posts, read 24,499 times
Western Colorado is full of great little towns with all the criteria you mentioned, with beautiful mountains. Depending on size of city and home prices...small town, relatively low homes: Palisade (great fruit and wine, near city of Grand Junction with good shopping and restaurants), Hotchkiss and Paonia (beautiful mountain towns, family friendly, great produce), Montrose (booming medium sized town close to Telluride, Black Canyon, Ouray) Larger city would be Grand Junction, every church imaginable, community and family oriented, concerts in park, booming real estate due to natural gas production. Steamboat Springs, smaller town, high priced home, but absolutely gorgeous ski town!! Good luck to you.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by day4jocks View Post
Western Colorado is full of great little towns with all the criteria you mentioned, with beautiful mountains. Depending on size of city and home prices...small town, relatively low homes: Palisade (great fruit and wine, near city of Grand Junction with good shopping and restaurants), Hotchkiss and Paonia (beautiful mountain towns, family friendly, great produce), Montrose (booming medium sized town close to Telluride, Black Canyon, Ouray) Larger city would be Grand Junction, every church imaginable, community and family oriented, concerts in park, booming real estate due to natural gas production. Steamboat Springs, smaller town, high priced home, but absolutely gorgeous ski town!! Good luck to you.
Nice areas, I love the western slope more laid back and away from the more metropolitan type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado