U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:04 PM

220 posts, read 521,527 times
Default NATIVE and GO HOME bumper stickers in Colorado.

Living here for 5 generations does not give you the right to assert yourself as a NATIVE, nor does it make you any better in the eyes of God. Native of what? 200 years is a flash in the proverbial pan when compared with the NATIVE tribes that inhabited what we now know as North America. Even worse are the GO HOME bumper stickers. Guess what self-righteous ba-tard? The land your home is on belonged to tribes who have been relegated to the likes of poverty you will never know; tribes who didn't abuse it and took only what they needed. Your great-great-grandfather was given 80 acres after it was taken from it's rightful owners. He didn't even pay for it!

The only people with the right to flaunt a NATIVE sticker are those with real American Indian heritage and while I am not American Indian, it angers me nonetheless on their behalf. Oklahoma is NOT Native America- it's where the white man said you will go after he took your land and conquered you in "battle". What's been lost in terms of knowledge of the earth and how to live with it, has been replaced by egocentrism on the highest level and that loss was catastrophic as proven by the drilling we see polluting every facet of this earth. We are all of this Earth and there are no additional rights granted because of your claim, so take the damn bumper sticker off your vehicle and act like someone who isn't above others for you are not in the eyes of the Lord.

"Born & Raised Here" would be a good replacement!

Last edited by elemental; 11-17-2010 at 11:12 PM..

Old 11-18-2010, 01:25 AM

168 posts, read 193,617 times
I have that same rant every time I see either of those drive by.......and I am part Apache on one side and Cherokee on the other.....

However, signs like that don't anger me nearly as much as the disrespect people currently have for the land and the nature they are destroying for their own greedy needs......

Old 11-18-2010, 01:32 AM

15,580 posts, read 9,302,328 times
Doesn't bother me. After I move there it will be home. We are all strangers somewhere.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:26 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,591,670 times
I'm a "native" Oregonian, multiple generations. I don't intend to move back there, because I've found several other states I enjoy more, but my family is firmly rooted.

During the 80s and 90s Oregon became exceedingly popular with former Californians, who were able to sell property in LA, San Francisco, and other highly inflated areas and buy homes, invest in businesses, and generally flood the state (probably adding 250,00 or so to the population, which began at a base of 2 million-a huge net), which they saw as a highly desirable place to live.

OH, the wheeping! OH, the gnashing of teeth! Talk of building a wall, talk of seceding, bumper stickers that said "Welcome to Oregon, now go home" and "Oregon Native". To this day, Californians who moved north for a better quality of life are the butt of jokes. Oregon will take their money, but doesn't see any irony in suggesting they leave.

Lots of talk about how the economy was too rough to absorb them (in the 80s and 90s, it certainly wasn't, we absorbed them fine, and the later crash had far more to do with state taxation policy and federal laws on resource extraction than anything else), lots of talk about farming and water rights, and how non-natives didn't "appreciate" what Oregon was and were ruining the state.

Now that California is in the wringer, it's all starting again, and it's all misguided again.

California disease: Oregon at risk of economic malady | OregonLive.com

Sound familiar?

Even back then I found it a little tacky. Later in life I went to grad school in Colorado and boy, did I see it going on again.

I completely agree: if you're a multiple-generation "Colorado Native" and like to flaunt it, get over yourself. It's a free country, thank God, and the fact your great-great-great grandparents happened to stop there instead of another place doesn't give you a right to shut out other people.

If you don't like the transplants-I recommend you move somewhere more to your liking, because you can't stop it. Thanks for all your advice about how people are going to go broke and die cold and thirsty because they were the straw that broke the camels back, and I'm sure they'll give it plenty of consideration.

On second thought, not they won't. And just like Oregon, your state will emerge stronger for it.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:04 AM

877 posts, read 764,092 times
What I don't really understand is what seems like the "native" Coloradans' obligation to assert their native-ness 24/7 to those of us that are "non-natives".

Even if you were born and raised in Colorado, your family still moved there from somewhere...

I moved to Colorado when I was 13. Well, technically I was brought to Colorado. When we're children, we don't move, we're moved. In my book, spending my high school years there and falling head over hells with the state is more than enough for me to consider myself a "native" Coloradan.

All transplants reach a stage where they've been in a certain location long enough where it gets to a point that they can't be distinguished at all from "natives".

All that being said, there are many uses for many words. "Native" is just one example. It depends on the context it's used in. I think the OP needs to calm down a bit.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:08 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,166,465 times
Years ago in Florida I saw a bumpersticker that said...

"Welcome to our beach, Now go home"

After living in Florida for about a decade and seeing how the average tourist acts while partying up a storm in the sun, I understood why they had the stickers printed up.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:24 AM

7,429 posts, read 10,507,509 times
elemental wrote:
NATIVE and GO HOME bumper stickers in Colorado.
The best thing you can do about this is to laugh at these people, and perhaps feel sorry for them as well. Think of this misguided practice as a Lazy Mans Way To Enlightenment. Folks like this erroneously believe that living in a place longer than someone else magically makes them a superior being, but in the quiet place of their own heart...even they don't believe in their own magic.

TonyVaz1009 wrote:
What I don't really understand is what seems like the "native" Coloradans' obligation to assert their native-ness 24/7 to those of us that are "non-natives".
Tony, it's not assertion, but rather a pitiful cry for acceptance. At heart, someone like this feels inferior to others from the get go, and they believe that by putting up a pretense of superiority that somehow it will magically make them feel OK...but it never does. Their erroneous belief in their own inferiority keeps eating away at them. Until they learn to give themselves the unconditional love they never got from their parents, they will keep trying to feel OK by putting other people down. Have compassion for these misguided souls, because they never learned how to have compassion for themselves.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 11-18-2010 at 11:47 AM..

Old 11-18-2010, 12:05 PM

67,286 posts, read 54,864,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post

Even if you were born and raised in Colorado, your family still moved there from somewhere...

I moved to Colorado when I was 13. Well, technically I was brought to Colorado. When we're children, we don't move, we're moved. In my book, spending my high school years there and falling head over hells with the state is more than enough for me to consider myself a "native" Coloradan.

All transplants reach a stage where they've been in a certain location long enough where it gets to a point that they can't be distinguished at all from "natives".

All that being said, there are many uses for many words. "Native" is just one example. It depends on the context it's used in. I think the OP needs to calm down a bit.
I can remember when we first moved here 30 years ago. I was shocked to hear people say they were qualified for political office b/ they were nth generation Coloradans. I was tempted to ask one of them, "How will your lack of a larger perspective interfere with your ability to do your job"? I never did, though I did tell one such candidate I was sick of hostility to outsiders. He backpedaled a little bit at that point.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:28 PM

7,429 posts, read 10,507,509 times
Katiana wrote:
I can remember when we first moved here 30 years ago. I was shocked to hear people say they were qualified for political office b/ they were nth generation Coloradans. I was tempted to ask one of them, "How will your lack of a larger perspective interfere with your ability to do your job"? I never did, though I did tell one such candidate I was sick of hostility to outsiders. He backpedaled a little bit at that point.
Some people prefer the false security of their own little boxes to the world at large. It's scary out there! The politician you described is at least smart enough to know this. A politician of this stripe panders to the tiny little box mindset, and backpedals from someone like you who has experienced life outside the tiny little box. Then he goes home and prays that more out of the box thinkers like you don't move into his district. However, the people come anyway and slowly, oh so slowy, they eventually learn how to adapt...always hoping against hope they can crawl back into that little old box.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:54 PM

7,817 posts, read 14,663,825 times
Sorry Cosmic and Kat, but some of your opinions about this are just wrong. First, the political thing. One of the reasons that many candidates tout their heritage in Colorado is that it DOES matter to many people, especially in the rural areas. People with long family ties to a community often better understand the heritage of the place, its history, how things got to be the way they are, and the mistakes that have been already made once, twice, or more. It's a valuable form of "institutional memory" that many newcomers simply lack. Those long-timers are often perceived as opposed to change, but that really isn't accurate. Usually they are opposed to change just for sake of change, or because somebody thinks that an idea from someplace else automatically makes it a good idea here. That latter concept has probably done more to wreck this state than any form of locally-centered "aginner" attitude one might see.

I'm willing to have an open mind about people who come here and want to learn about this place's history, heritage, and culture before they go hog wild about wanting to change the place into whatever their vision is of what it should be. Unfortunately, far too many of the newcomers have no desire to understand this place at all--they think they know better than the people who have lived in this place--people who have dealt with its environment, unique characteristics, and challenges for generations. I find newcomers like that to be shallow, uninformed, and ignorant about this place--no matter from where they came and however much they THINK they might know about everything--and I find their attitude highly offensive. I've had the misfortune of dealing with a lot of them in my work, including having to try to clean up some of messes that they have created with their ignorance, arrogance, and stupidity.

It's not about being native or not--it's about understanding this place for what it is--and way too many of the "newbies" just don't get it. As for me, I'm a Colorado native, damned proud of it, and I don't apologize to anybody for it. If people don't like that I'm proud of my heritage, they can just flat get over it--not my problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado