U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 03:06 PM

12 posts, read 23,904 times

Advertisements

Lesse, I need to go to the natural gas station to fill up the tank. Oh wait, there aren't any!!!!!!!!!!!! Hmm, lemme see, I need to heat the house with electric, using NO natural gas. Done and done! Ok, I need to get sick from the fumes from the fracking. Done and done! I need to get the frackers to pay for it! Lotsa luck! I need to watch these muckracking frackers get rich from the unnecessary fracking under all the cities in the metroplex. Yea, would ya look at that! BMW's, mansions, gold watches, aww, such materialistic crap. I need to watch that creek filled up with frack water, kill all the fish, <<I actually saw this when it happened. I need to make sure I never ever swim or fish in any of the tributaries around here, ever again. I need to change the words of 'this land is your land, this land is my land' to 'this land posted and says 'keep out' forever. I need to condemn my house, home, neighborhood, and city, and abandon it till it becomes a ghost town. Oh, that will happen!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 07:20 AM

1,789 posts, read 3,869,804 times
Fracking water goes into old wells not creeks. As long as they do what they have to do under the laws it will not kill the fish or whatever else. I do not like the oil companies but know enough about them living on a ranch in OK. They haven't come on me with a well but neighbors allows them on ($) and they frack probably under me. I could care less about the money I do not want a well period. They can make mistakes but hopefully not in the fracking area as an example, one time they cut mistakenly trees on the back of my property and it cost them ten thousand for those trees. I didn't care about those trees (mre pasure) but they need to be extremely careful so I charged them high too. So they can make mistakes I guess but you can see them carry the water out of the fracking wells and they have other wells that it goes into. As I said I pray they follow the rules and laws set up and we'll have more oil/gas with less wells.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:00 PM

33,791 posts, read 14,207,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Fracking water goes into old wells not creeks. As long as they do what they have to do under the laws it will not kill the fish or whatever else. I do not like the oil companies but know enough about them living on a ranch in OK. They haven't come on me with a well but neighbors allows them on ($) and they frack probably under me. I could care less about the money I do not want a well period. They can make mistakes but hopefully not in the fracking area as an example, one time they cut mistakenly trees on the back of my property and it cost them ten thousand for those trees. I didn't care about those trees (mre pasure) but they need to be extremely careful so I charged them high too. So they can make mistakes I guess but you can see them carry the water out of the fracking wells and they have other wells that it goes into. As I said I pray they follow the rules and laws set up and we'll have more oil/gas with less wells.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I don't think you have much of an understanding of ground water.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:36 AM

Yea I do and it scares me too. I am on an artesian well which the State checked out before that fracking well went up about a mile or two away from me. (It is not on my property). The oil company had experts going all over the place to check if there was a change in ground water. I do not take any of their reports as total honestly. You see we did put up a stink. They just didn't say everything was alright, my husband works for the federal government and had access to the fact sheets that the State did not the oil company. After all that it still scares me but I also like to drive, fly and heat. i do not trust the oil company but do feel safe with that well. (You can't dig a hole in this part of OK without running into ground water)

Old 01-17-2013, 08:18 PM

16 posts, read 56,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I live right in the ground zero of fracking in Pennsylvania now. Funny enough not a day goes by without seeing a Colorado licence plate as there are so many workers from all over in the area.

99.5% of what is used in fracking is water and sand. Halliburton has released a website recently listing all the chemicals used.

I have mixed feelings about it, so far it has mostly proven to be safe and many of the companies have improved their techniques to the point it should not be a problem. When they first came into my county it was a free for all, but things have improved, Dutch Shell buying a major stake and they seem to have a more sensible handle on things.

Fracking natural gas is something that could easily provide this country with limitless gas for centuries. I'd rather keep the money here in the USA than send it overseas.

Mixed feelings says it all

Don't buy everything the alarmists are selling

Old 01-18-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

Fracking natural gas is something that could easily provide this country with limitless gas for centuries. I'd rather keep the money here in the USA than send it overseas.
I too live at ground zero and have mixed feelings but like you I want USA to keep the JOBS and MONEY. I don't think people realize that oil/gas can be used against us like terrorism.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:49 PM

23,092 posts, read 42,240,150 times
Coloradans who are against fracking made the NY Times today in a story about the folks in the Paonia area who are against the lease of Federal lands to drillers.

Excerpt from story: "Even if the land is leased out for drilling, months and years of red tape and public review lie between drillers and the gas-rich rock under the tree-covered ridgelines and rolling mesas. Less than one-tenth of the federal lands here in western Colorado leased out for drilling have been developed."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:28 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,378,651 times
Wink Colorado as Paonia

“We’re unbelievably blessed by this place here,” he said. “We could be unblessed really quickly.” [1]

Good article. I usually associate Paonia with coal mining, but as mentioned here many residents have slowly and laboriously built the region into a verdant agricultural neighborhood. At least by Colorado standards, and something this state does not have an abundance of due its climate.

The officials explained that they had removed some of the most sensitive and contentious pieces of land from consideration, but said the auction was happening. [1]

I've also personally witnessed how the federal government conducts the dog and pony shows of its public "discussions." These bureaucrats come prepared with charts, presentations—and a decision already in place. Unfortunately the public present can often buy this hook, line and sinker, as of course these guys supposedly the experts. If sometimes, as in Paonia, not near as willing to meekly accept what is fed to them. And in this case in also realizing what is at stake: their very livelihood and way of life. Would they welcome becoming what Williston, ND has, or gladly suffer such a fate?

The West has been blessed by so much of it lying under federal control in the form of national forests, that of the Bureau of Land Management, our national parks, and so forth. But as all things always a question of a double edged sword of pros and cons. Business interests in small communities or as multinational corporations at times rail against restrictions against development. At times rightly so. In others, we can be glad something existed to stop them.

But as witnessed in a variety of ways increasingly of late our federal government has been going off the tracks, and all the more in the pocket of monied interests. In short, it cannot be trusted to the degree it might once. And if none of this is ever perfect, all does change and one might look to the trend and direction to discern if advisable or not. IF we continue down this path the citizens of this nation and particularly of the West may wake up to find the legacy of oft open, vast, and somewhat untrammeled land to be gone. The legacy of their presumed huge and treasured backyards no longer carefully protected, but sold to the highest bidder to do with as they will.

The citizens of Colorado may wish to question whether their government in Denver and also Washington, D.C. have their best interests at heart, or to what degree one of them might more so. Or if it matters, as most of us just as rapacious as our dear leaders elsewhere?

1) 'Colorado Communities Take On Fight Against Energy Land Leases,' The New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/us....html?hp&_r=1&

Last edited by Idunn; 02-02-2013 at 03:38 PM..

Old 02-02-2013, 09:19 PM

8,317 posts, read 27,139,251 times
I know people quite well on both sides of the frac'ing issue in western Colorado, including in the North Fork Valley. Unfortunately, there is lot of hysteria on both sides. Frac'ing is neither the benign, harmless process that its proponents say it is, nor is it the horrible environmental bogeyman that its critics portray. The truth is somewhere in the middle. There are places that never should be permitted for frac'ing for valid geological reasons and places where it can be conducted very safely.

If there is a big fat lie in all of it, that lie is that frac'ing promises some "unlimited" supply of natural gas for this country. Gas wells in the shale where frac'ing is being used so extensively now don't produce gas in the same pattern as "conventional" gas wells. Frac'ing causes wells to produce fairly prolifically for a relatively short period of time, then the production drops off rapidly. Frac'ed wells that were predicted to be steady producers for decades when they were drilled a few years ago now are frequently seeing dramatic drops in production. The people that I know who are actually doing a lot of the frac'ing work know that fact quite clearly--they just keep quiet about it, knowing full well that disclosing that little "inconvenient truth" would whip up even more anti-frac'ing hysteria.

As for the environmentalist side, they are also more than willing to distort the facts to advance their political agenda. I find that many of them are also blatant hypocrites. They drive around in their 12 mpg SUV's, fly around in their private jets, have three or four multi-thousand square-foot residences scattered around the country (including some of the rich "environmentalist pukes" that live around Aspen and Telluride), but are willing to tell everybody else that they should change their lifestyle so that more well-drilling isn't necessary. Those rich environmentalists might be just a tiny bit credible if they were living in ONE 1,500 sq. ft. residence per family and driving a 30 mpg car.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:58 AM

I agree with you Jazzlover. And living in OK I am on the fence with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado