U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 09:39 AM

432 posts, read 475,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
With regard to earthquakes and fracking, read Ken Folletts novel, The Hammer Of Eden
he is a novel writer and also wrote 'they key to rebecca'. he and his politically active wife live in london and have a beach house in the carribean, in antigua.

i have no idea what he has to do with anything on this thread, but pretty much most of this thread is about leftist politics, but i've always like the name rebecca.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 09:43 AM

2,063 posts, read 2,069,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
Fracking is the process of drilling a well and then pumping in toxic chemicals and water at high pressure to fracture the underlying rock.

It is done in the mining of natural gas, such as in Colorado. It is also being proposed for the mining of uranium at a site about 15 miles northeast of Ft. Collins, CO. This is also the location of the large underground aquifer that extends south to Denver. This is one of your major water supplies.

Mr. and Mrs. Sautner of Pennsylvania now have a large metal pipe extending up from their water well, after fracking was done in their neighborhood, to release the methane gas now present, which might otherwise blow up their home.

This is an NBC news account of this:
msnbc.com Video Player

I have read about this issue. Its awful . They certainly need to find a healthier safer way to get the natural gas out.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:00 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,084,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milt14 View Post
he is a novel writer and also wrote 'they key to rebecca'. he and his politically active wife live in london and have a beach house in the carribean, in antigua.

i have no idea what he has to do with anything on this thread, but pretty much most of this thread is about leftist politics, but i've always like the name rebecca.
Most of this website is leftists politics.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:38 PM

3,132 posts, read 5,260,425 times
Quote:
wow, from all the mis/disinformation on here about fracking and the heavy dose of left wing political hatred and propaganda, shouldn't this thread be in the political section?
Please elaborate.

Fact: The injection of fluids into the Earth's crust is known to cause earthquakes.

Fact: Fracking injects fluid into the earth's crust in order to fracture the crust in order to release the natural gas and petroleum from pockets inside of the bedrock.

Fact: the number of earthquakes in Oklahoma has increased dramatically since fracking operations began there.

Conclusion: Fracking is responsible for the increase in earthquakes in Oklahoma.

Where is left wing propaganda in this post?

Old 04-09-2014, 08:49 PM

7,778 posts, read 17,473,489 times
milt14 wrote: i have no idea what he has to do with anything on this thread,

It shall remain a deep dark secret.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:21 AM

5,715 posts, read 5,089,844 times
Quote:
wow, from all the mis/disinformation on here about fracking and the heavy dose of left wing political hatred and propaganda, shouldn't this thread be in the political section?
You ain't seen nothing yet. Wait until you read some of the threads about water rights. You're new to the forums, so I'll give you a tip: All the really mean Coloradans like Idunn and Cosmic (and me) hang out down here. The nice folks post above in the Denver or Colorado Springs forums.

But down here we even believe the earth revolves around the sun and the universe is more than 6,000 years old and that germs cause disease. The fracking thing is just the tip of the iceberg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
milt14 wrote: i have no idea what he has to do with anything on this thread,

It shall remain a deep dark secret.
Oh, you're just showing off your left wing political hatred again.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:05 PM

9,840 posts, read 20,368,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Oklahoma Swamped by Surge in Earthquakes Near Fracking, says an article in Bloomberg today.

Excerpt: "There have been more earthquakes strong enough to be felt in Oklahoma this year than in all of 2013, overwhelming state officials who are trying to determine if the temblors are linked to oil and natural gas production. The state last night experienced its 109th earthquake of a magnitude 3 or higher, matching the total for all of 2013, ..."
Earthquakes are common in Oklahoma. I lived right near Meers Fault and all the buildings there in southwest Oklahoma above a certain size had to be reinforced against earthquakes.

It's always funny to see the media act like all this stuff is somehow new and has never happened before.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:15 AM

41,478 posts, read 53,862,088 times
These advanced petroleum recovery techniques only put off the inevitable consumption of these unrenewable resources. these are finite and, unlike most metals, are not recoverable from scrap. Once used they are gone.

We should be concentrating our efforts on developing energy sources, such as nuclear fission with complete fuel recovery and recycling, that are effectively infinite on a human scale.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:38 PM

5,715 posts, read 5,089,844 times
We should be concentrating on getting a military force ready to invade Canada. I hear that northern Alberta will be lovely in 2050.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:17 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,084,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
These advanced petroleum recovery techniques only put off the inevitable consumption of these unrenewable resources. these are finite and, unlike most metals, are not recoverable from scrap. Once used they are gone.

We should be concentrating our efforts on developing energy sources, such as nuclear fission with complete fuel recovery and recycling, that are effectively infinite on a human scale.
The bottom line is the energy/pollution/climate change is more of a population problem more than anything. It's the 1 thing that nobody admits rather or not you believe in global warming or not. The population took say all of human history to hit 1 billion in 1800, since then the population has since multiplied 8 times in 210 yrs. That's more ppl that need energy and the most abundant and cheapest form is coal. If 3rd world nations keep producing at the current rate it wont be long before the world hits 10 billion ever increasing the demand. Wind/Solar just aren't very efficient currently, the ROI isn't nearly high enough for private investors to be heavily involved and wind turbines are a huge POS. Their fatigue life is roughly 10-15 yrs before the turbines need to be replaced. Some form of crude is in a vast majority of all products MDC's use daily (plastic) trying to wean ourselves off crude is highly unlikely. As of today the greenest and most cost efficient form of energy is nuclear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or