Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,812 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Idaho I use to live in Mammoth Lakes Cali. I want to move to a ski resort with a large ski park and room to get better as a park rider. I think I am debating between Keystone and Breck but I need some opinions. And where is the housing in those places like to rent, any websites? Any info would help!
Thanks Cassidy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 02:18 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,491,349 times
If you want to ride park exclusively, look at Echo Mountain Park in Evergreen. It's exclusively a park mountain. They don't get a lot of natural snow, but since it's for park-riding, they make do with man-made snow.

If you're looking for a more "big-mountain" experience, then Summit County is the place. Breck, Keystone, and Copper all have big parks. Since I don't ride park, I can't tell you which one is better.

If you can handle it, you can get good info on moving/living in Summit County at the TGR forums. Or better yet, try NewSchoolers -- they're focused on park-riding and have a forum as well.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,812 times
Hey Fuzz!
THANK a Ton for the reply! I am just looking for the perfect mountain place to live. Once again thanks for the help!
<3's Cassidy

Old 07-10-2007, 04:33 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
Keystone and Breck are pretty close to one another. They're both in Summit County, along with A-basin and Copper. The Loveland ski area is also very close by. Summit County is a decent place to ski/ride and live, but like all the resort areas it's frightfully expensive in cost of living (although a bargain when compared to Vail). Cheapest places to find an apartment in Summit are either in Dillon Valley East or in the Wildernest area of Silverthorne. It's also much cheaper to rent in Keystone than Breck, if you want to actually stay at a resory (most townies do not live at resorts in Summit County, Breckenridge excepted seeing that the resort and the town are right next to each other). Breck and Frisco are both very expensive.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:14 PM

431 posts, read 2,793,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Keystone and Breck are pretty close to one another. They're both in Summit County, along with A-basin and Copper. The Loveland ski area is also very close by. Summit County is a decent place to ski/ride and live, but like all the resort areas it's frightfully expensive in cost of living (although a bargain when compared to Vail). Cheapest places to find an apartment in Summit are either in Dillon Valley East or in the Wildernest area of Silverthorne. It's also much cheaper to rent in Keystone than Breck, if you want to actually stay at a resory (most townies do not live at resorts in Summit County, Breckenridge excepted seeing that the resort and the town are right next to each other). Breck and Frisco are both very expensive.
Might look into Eagle. Farther away is Leadville. I am not a skier. Is park sking like cross country? If so there is a great deal of cross country done in Lake county around Leadville. OK so for a native and mt gal, I know next to nothing about skiing. My parents always said--too expensive and break your darn fool neck. Then who would milk the cow and gather the eggs?

Old 07-10-2007, 06:22 PM

If you live in Eagle, Vail and Beaver Creek will be your haunts -- neither of which cater to park rats as much as the other ski areas in Summit Co. Leadville is a popular place for ski bums since it is much cheaper -- however, it is about 30-45 minutes to Copper, and more to Breck/Keystone.

As tfox mentioned, Dillon Valley East or Wildernest are your best bets for cheap lodging.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
Is park sking like cross country?
Park skiing/riding is skiing/riding in terrain parks, doing jumps and hitting rails, half-pipes, tables, and other tricks.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:35 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,122,984 times
Don't come to Colorado Springs, our snow comes and lasts for a day or two and then its gone and back up to upper 40s low 50s. Sometimes we get up into the 60s during winter. We are a beautiful community but not for snow. In fact, we laugh because when Colo Sprs sees snow, the city shuts down..delays, school closures, etc. HAHA

Old 07-12-2007, 07:22 PM

156 posts, read 946,752 times
I think the most snow might be found at Wolf Creek. I think I read they average 465" of natural snow annually. I couldnt tell you much about the jobs or rent in the area though... if there is much.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:34 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If you want to ride park exclusively, look at Echo Mountain Park in Evergreen. It's exclusively a park mountain. They don't get a lot of natural snow, but since it's for park-riding, they make do with man-made snow.

If you're looking for a more "big-mountain" experience, then Summit County is the place. Breck, Keystone, and Copper all have big parks. Since I don't ride park, I can't tell you which one is better.

If you can handle it, you can get good info on moving/living in Summit County at the TGR forums. Or better yet, try NewSchoolers -- they're focused on park-riding and have a forum as well.
Evergreen is flatland compared to ski area's,I lived around corner in Conifer for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado