Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 05:20 PM
ndk

68 posts, read 302,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
Thanks ... is there any nice scenery on the Roaring Fork? Swimming holes? Preserved cottonwoods? Or just barbed wire?
It's hit and miss. There's a lot of private land along the river with a lot of different uses. Some is explicitly locked in as ranchland by Pitkin County, and some(e.g. the stretch through Carbondale) is more urban. And it's followed by the moderately trafficked Highway 82 for basically its whole length.

I think it's a pretty area, but more for the limestone and sandstone and scrub that xeric described(and Mt. Sopris) than the vegetation that you might be envisioning. It's certainly one of the less wild rivers you'll find in Colorado. Some of the other rivers nearby, like the Crystal River, might be closer to what you're thinking of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 05:30 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
Thanks ... is there any nice scenery on the Roaring Fork? Swimming holes? Preserved cottonwoods? Or just barbed wire?
Mostly just upscale and trophy house subdivisions along the river--just like most of the I-70 Sacrifice Zone resort corridor, until one gets aways above Basalt on the Roaring Fork--then it's Reudi Reservoir and mostly public land.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:11 AM

625 posts, read 1,389,446 times
Ah yes ... the "mountain suburbia" as was described. I wish we could build the compact walkable villages I found in the European mtns ...

Where is the Crystal River?

Old 12-03-2010, 12:41 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndk View Post
It's hit and miss. There's a lot of private land along the river with a lot of different uses. Some is explicitly locked in as ranchland by Pitkin County, and some(e.g. the stretch through Carbondale) is more urban. And it's followed by the moderately trafficked Highway 82 for basically its whole length.

I think it's a pretty area, but more for the limestone and sandstone and scrub that xeric described(and Mt. Sopris) than the vegetation that you might be envisioning. It's certainly one of the less wild rivers you'll find in Colorado. Some of the other rivers nearby, like the Crystal River, might be closer to what you're thinking of.
I don't find the lower Roaring Fork Valley really spectacular at all(except for Sopris) and from my memories years ago before a lot of the current homes and subdivisions were built, I remember some irrigated agriculture but mostly scrub type land. It's what I term "high desert" and except for the green golf courses, not something I would describe as a "green" area either.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:11 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
Ah yes ... the "mountain suburbia" as was described. I wish we could build the compact walkable villages I found in the European mtns ...

Where is the Crystal River?
Going south from Carbondale to its headwaters above Marble. It is in my top 5 for beautiful Colorado river canyons. It, too, has the trophy home cancer in some places, but far more of the streamside areas are public land along its course, so the development is not quite so obnoxious.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:54 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I don't find the lower Roaring Fork Valley really spectacular at all(except for Sopris) and from my memories years ago before a lot of the current homes and subdivisions were built, I remember some irrigated agriculture but mostly scrub type land. It's what I term "high desert" and except for the green golf courses, not something I would describe as a "green" area either.
To each their own. In terms of the natural scenery, I think that the Glenwood Springs area is one of the most beautiful in the state. But then I don't think that lush greenery makes an area more beautiful. But in any case, the Front Range cities are mostly a little dryer then GS so in terms the aridity factor there really isn't much difference.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:26 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
To each their own. In terms of the natural scenery, I think that the Glenwood Springs area is one of the most beautiful in the state. But then I don't think that lush greenery makes an area more beautiful. But in any case, the Front Range cities are mostly a little dryer then GS so in terms the aridity factor there really isn't much difference.
To me it is what it is along the lower Hwy 82 corridor, I don't really like it nor dislike it. The canyon of course is impressive. In that area I do like it from Carbondale out to Marble, as well as Snowmass, out to ******** and up to Independence Pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado