Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 09:15 AM

4 posts, read 10,433 times

Advertisements

Hi,
This is my first time posting in this forum - apologies if the post is too long...
My husband and I are currently living in Fort Lauderdale FL, and hating it. We plan on moving in late January, when our current lease expires. We are in our mid-thirties, expecting our first kid in September, with 2 large dogs (one of which is a Rottie) We are looking to move in a place suitable to raise a kid and where our dogs (and ourselves) can enjoy the outdoors, tranquility, a more laid back lifestyle, somewhere where we may be able to afford to purchase our first home. However we also need to be able to get jobs. Colorado has always interested us and we are seriously considering it but don't quite know in which direction to start looking. Any suggestions?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 09:30 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomedaySoon View Post
However we also need to be able to get jobs. Any suggestions?
What line of work are you in?
What do you expect your long term (more than five years) combined annual income to be?
How much do you have for a down payment?
What is your price range for buying a home?
Where do you want to live?

Old 07-12-2007, 09:54 AM

My husband has been a manager for a marine store (Boater's World/ Ritz Camera) for the last 4 years, before that he was a welder, is very mechanically inclined though (i say this because he wouldn't mind a career change at this point) As for myself I have worked with tourism related industries in the Virgin Islands and have been an administrative assistant here in FL. I am also fluent in 5 languages. Looking to hopefully get involved in dog training, grooming etc, as I would eventually like to open my own business. That said between the 2 of us we should bring in at least $60.000/yr no matter what we actually end up doing. I don't now exactly how much we'll have for downpayment, we are trying to sell our 33' sailboat, willing to rent if need be before buying though. Price range for purchase lower 100's to 200's tops, depending on what loan we can get. Trying to find somewhere where we can make decent money and cost of living more affordable than South Fl.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:13 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomedaySoon View Post
That said between the 2 of us we should bring in at least $60.000/yr no matter what we actually end up doing.
So you plan on working (and paying for daycare) after the birth of your child in September? Or, do you have close family here that can help out?

Old 07-12-2007, 10:42 AM

I do plan on working, although if financially possible will aim for a lighter schedule for the first years (currently work 50 hours a week), my mom will be staying with us for a while, so daycare would be a concern later on.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:30 AM

71 posts, read 424,463 times
Avoid Denver. I am also looking for a good place to move in Colorado soon and have two dogs ('pit-bull' type dogs). Denver has very very strict Breed Specific Legislation rules in place. I am not sure the effect they are currently having on Rotties but they have killed over 2000 pit bulls in the last couple years just because they are pit bulls. I have been doing lots of research lately and Colorado Springs sounds like a wonderful area with lots of family-oriented activities, very dog friendly, and lots of job possibilities. It is the second largest city in the state after Denver and you still have beautiful views of the mountains as well as lots of outdoor recreation activities. Check out the post called 'Why you should choose Colorado Springs' by Mike from back East in the Colorado Springs forum. LOTS of great information there!

Old 07-12-2007, 12:27 PM

Thanks for that tip - Colorado Springs does sound good - Where are you moving from?

Old 07-12-2007, 01:14 PM

106 posts, read 571,916 times
Look at the mountain towns. Vail, Breckinridge, Frisco. With your tourism background, you might find something good. I agree, avoid Denver unless you make really good money.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:37 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Someday Soon

Not having any idea just what you are looking for, let me suggest Grand Junction as a possibility. If winter & snow are not your cup of tea, you would likely enjoy living here. I've been in Grand Junction for almost a year after living in Virginia Beach ( VB ) for 16 years. VB has a climate very similar to Florida...l-o-n-g hot humid summers, so I can relate to your wanting to get out of Florida. There are many existing threads related to Grand Junction, so you might want to do a search on Grand Junction to find those. There's a wealth of information on those threads.

This area is booming right now, so I suggest not waiting too long or you'll be priced out of the housing market. Housing is still affordable, but that is changing fast. Jobs are also plentiful right now, but the pay is probably less than you would earn for the same job on the east coast. I took a big pay cut when I moved from Virginia Beach, but overall my quality of life is much improved so it's been a good trade off for me.

good luck in your search....Franco

Last edited by mdz; 07-12-2007 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: sorry, can't link there from here

Old 07-12-2007, 02:55 PM

15 posts, read 56,412 times
We may make a move soon also, like the fall, and are considering the Florence/Canon City area...dh works for the Govt., so this is where his work would be. We are excited, but nervous too, though I am sure some of that is because it is not in stone yet!

I personally, was born & raised in Ft. Lauderdale, and graduated hs in West Palm Beach, and couldn't leave South FL any sooner! There are only a couple of cities in FL I would ever consider living in again, which all are in Northern FL, there is such a totally different atmosphere than So. FL, and not as much hustle & bustle, but somewhat more laid back comparatively. SO I can understand wanting a change of pace! GL in your move, sorry i am not more help, kinda researching myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado