U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2007, 02:54 PM

84,957 posts, read 98,776,620 times

Advertisements

Different strokes for different folks. We much prefer I-80. I will reiterate some of the reasons: (eastbound) go through Omaha, NE instead of Kansas City KS/MO. Omaha is a smaller city w/less traffic. Cross the Mississippi at Quad Cities IA/IL (Davenport, Bettendorf, Rock Island, Moline) instead of St. Louis. FAR less traffic. We drove through St. Louis once at midnight; it seemed like rush hour. Plus, IMO, there are more services along I-80 than I-70. We also have a way to avoid Chicago. You'll have to try both ways to see which you prefer.

Hi: We drove from central NJ to Denver 3 years ago, in the 1st week of August. There is no mountain driving involved only plains! We took I78 thru to I81 thru I76 to I70. and drove on I70 all the way into Colorado. We have subsequently driven on I80 back to chicago but prefer the I70 route.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 10:30 AM

404 posts, read 513,291 times
I drove from Chicago to Vail in 18 hours. I left about 11am and fell asleep at a pull out just before the tunnel about 5am.

My last drive from Colorado was along the Santa Fe Trail to St. Louis.

You need to plan your drive so that if you do go through Chicago, you do it at night to avoid the morning and evening rush hour traffic.

Have a great day!

William

Old 07-16-2007, 07:56 AM

111 posts, read 490,472 times
Default thx for the replies!

Thanks to everyone for all the info and tips. This will be my first experience driving a moving truck (thankfully an automatic), so flat and boring is great! I'm originally from virginia, and I love cornfields. I'm not decided between 80 or 70 yet. It'll be two women travelers, so maybe remote isn't the best choice in our case. But it's reassuring that lots of people seem to do this drive (with moving trucks, too).

Old 07-18-2007, 06:35 PM

74 posts, read 324,147 times
Default drive to CO

i would also recommend taking the I-70 route. haven't ever made the drive, but i live near 70 in ohio. it's an easy drive...plenty of places to stop off at if desired (columbus ohio, dayton ohio, indianapolis, kansas city). would definitely recommend staying away from chicago, especially during any sort of rush hour. i have been doing alot of work out in kansas city lately and you may have some traffic on 70 there as there is some construction, but it isn't bad, especially coming from NY where traffic is unspeakable.

good luck!

Old 07-18-2007, 07:14 PM

84,957 posts, read 98,776,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amymcf View Post
i would also recommend taking the I-70 route. haven't ever made the drive, but i live near 70 in ohio. it's an easy drive...plenty of places to stop off at if desired (columbus ohio, dayton ohio, indianapolis, kansas city). would definitely recommend staying away from chicago, especially during any sort of rush hour. i have been doing alot of work out in kansas city lately and you may have some traffic on 70 there as there is some construction, but it isn't bad, especially coming from NY where traffic is unspeakable.

good luck!
I have made the drive and I would definitely recommend 80. That is after having done both routes several times.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:21 PM

22 posts, read 90,322 times
Just did this drive a few days ago. Came from Denver to New Jersey to visit relatives. We have done this ride several times, and have learned a lot from the different routes. I would suggest I-80 through Penn and then 71 down to Columbus and 70 to Denver. 80 through Pennsylvania is surprisingly fast and easy. It goes through mostly nowheresville, which i think helps cut down on the traffic. I would not recommend I-80 west of Akron. It is a disaster on the turnpikes to Chicago. 3 lanes of trucks, trucks, and more trucks. Same thing with the Pennsylvania turnpike if you were thinking of dropping down on 78 right to 70. Anything that says "turnpike" in the northeast is a disaster. It seems to attract more people and especially trucks than they can handle.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:23 PM

3 posts, read 33,585 times
For what it's worth I just rode my bike [motorcycle] from Chicago to Denver and took route 36 the whole way. Just north of I-70 [cut's right across the tops of Missouri and Kansas] so it's certainly the low road BUT it was a nice 2 laner the whole way that one could easily travel at 70 mph without issue. You do have to slow down rolling into lil towns and such. But it's worth it to get a lil wave from a local.

I stopped the first night in Cameron Missouri and ate at a lil place in town CW's [steak house bar/grill] I wanna say.

All you can eat crab legs in Missouri?, not too bad.

4-speed

Old 07-31-2007, 01:19 PM

168 posts, read 551,687 times
Default Bring good tunes

Hi. I've done the drive from West Point, NY area and also suggest avoiding the Chicago loop if you can. Suggest you have good tunes to get you through Nebraska. Sumisu

Old 04-23-2008, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 17,964 times
Default Driving to New York

Does anyone know about how much it costs in tolls to drive from Colorado to New York? I will be driving to Long Island in June and I am trying to figure out how much more it will end up being in addition to gas.

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2008, 01:55 PM

62 posts, read 275,199 times
If I recall correctly once you get out of the Northeast there are very few tolls. I recall one by Chicago and a few other small ones but NOTHING LIKE the NY area. it is a LONG drive, why not fly????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or