U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 09:50 PM

39 posts, read 64,374 times
Thanks everyone! I've passed on all of your tips. They found chains, in case they need them. They have a Chevy Tahoe (rear wheel drive?) sounds like the worst possible vehicle (not a rental). Hopefully they'll get an early start and travel conditions will be better tomorrow as forecast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 01:40 AM

168 posts, read 205,291 times
There's a ton of excellent info on this thread....the only thing I'd add, and stress, is to give your vehicle alot of space around it - stay back from the car in front of you, ahead of the car behind you, and if one is next to you slow down so it gets ahead of you......you may be the best driver in the world, but that doesn't mean others around you are - one screw up can take you out right along with them......

Old 12-22-2010, 10:49 AM

8,005 posts, read 15,603,188 times
This article contains some pretty good tips on winter driving. A real short, sage piece of advice my Dad--who was an absolute expert winter driver--gave me: "Drive like you've got a really, really rotten egg taped to the bottom of your right foot, and you don't want to break it."

CanadianDriver Winter Driving Winter Driving: Checklist for the new winter driver (http://www.canadiandriver.com/2010/01/12/winter-driving-checklist-for-the-new-winter-driver.htm - broken link)

Old 12-23-2010, 07:21 AM

766 posts, read 1,378,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by douggie21 View Post
The advice to SLOW DOWN is right on.
I third the motion.

Having lived for a number of years in upstate NY and New England, I'm very comfortable driving on snow. However, here in CO I feel nervous because of the OTHER drivers. Many drive way too fast, especially going down the snowpacked hill on the west side of the Eisenhower tunnel. I don't know what it is about CO drivers. The fact most are in SUVs or Subarus seems to give them a feeling of invincibility - clearly a false (and dangerous) sense of security.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:58 PM

58 posts, read 49,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp31 View Post
2006ford ranger. 2x4
Ugh - I had one of these for two Colorado winters. Not good times. I put sandbags in the back and had decent tires (not snow tires) and I still got stuck a bunch and would slide around quite a bit. I remember one time heading up I70 in heavy traffic and my truck started sliding backwards down the road while I was giving it gas to go forward.

Definitely get chains, they make a *huge* difference.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:20 AM

168 posts, read 205,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
However, here in CO I feel nervous because of the OTHER drivers. Many drive way too fast, especially going down the snowpacked hill on the west side of the Eisenhower tunnel. I don't know what it is about CO drivers. The fact most are in SUVs or Subarus seems to give them a feeling of invincibility - clearly a false (and dangerous) sense of security.
That's the first thing I noticed coming from Chicago to Summit County.....With the SUVs being the worst of the bunch, you'd think they were in a tank, when they aren't.....

We never had so much black ice back there as there is here in CO, and people think just because the road "is clear" they can do 70 mph & find out the hard way just what black ice really is.....

Old 12-24-2010, 10:29 AM

8,592 posts, read 18,785,553 times
I tell my relocation buyers that 4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:40 PM

69,240 posts, read 58,470,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by douggie21 View Post
The advice to SLOW DOWN is right on. ] Finally, SLOW DOWN on snow.
I fourth this.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:52 PM

39 posts, read 64,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
There is a winter driving school in Steamboat Springs, CO, which is said to be excellent. You might learn elsewhere, but if willing to spend the time and money then you might really learn something there. See: Bridgestone Winter Driving School.
Msnbc just aired a brief segment with Tom Costello at the driving school in Steamboat. What a great place to learn winter driving! As has been posted here, their #1 tip is to watch your SPEED; also, don't try to brake and turn at the same time; apply solid brake pressure (don't let up) if you have anti-lock brakes...pump brakes only if you don't have anti-lock brakes; and look where you want to go.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:25 PM

2,237 posts, read 2,027,259 times
Here are my tips, some of which you may have already read:

1. Slow down!
2. Once you are driving a speed at which you are comfortable, you should slow down a little more.
3. Leave plenty of space between you and the next car.
4. Take your foot off of the gas pedal way before you need to stop.
5. Approach each stop light like it will turn red before you get there.
6. Leave in plenty of time to reach your destination (estimate 2x the amount of time you normally need), and do not worry about whether or not you will be late to wherever you are going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado