U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2007, 11:59 PM

85,321 posts, read 99,606,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
As I mentioned, priorities. My friends who are really into skiing, their kids don't do sports that take up so much of their time that they can't go skiing. They've brought up the kids skiing, so they go skiing as a family. Or if the kids do other sports, they strike a balance where the kids' sports don't take over everything.
We raised our kids to make their own choices. That sometimes involved sacrifice on the part of the parents, which, in my opinion, is the parents' job.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 12:13 AM

636 posts, read 2,061,865 times
I thought this was amusing because my husband and I always joke about it. How many Coloradoans ski? Not many, from we have observed after 30 years of living here (since early childhood). Seems like most of the skiers are visitors, although my brother in law does ski two or three times a year. It kind of like Coors beer, noone who lives here likes it. I know I will get flak for this post but really I know only 4 people who ski even a couple times a winter. Its A) cold B)long drive C)often dangerous drive D) cold E) expensive F)cold G) expensive and wait H)cold and expensive

Old 07-15-2007, 12:18 AM

1,872 posts, read 5,680,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
How many Coloradoans ski? Not many, from we have observed after 30 years of living here (since early childhood).
You and I must not know the same Coloradans!

Old 07-15-2007, 12:24 AM

I do agree that a lot of Coloradans don't ski. My friend who used to work for Vail Resorts said that they did a study that showed something like 30-40% of season-passholders ski less than 5 days. I'd assume a lot of those season-passholders are locals from the Front Range.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:38 AM

636 posts, read 2,061,865 times
Yeah Fuzz I think its fun if you are childless or have a lot of babysitters and money, I loved skiing as a child but frankly as a grownup with kids it has no lure for me whatsoever, period, and my kids dont like being cold, so they save me money that way LOL

Old 07-15-2007, 05:14 AM

13,375 posts, read 40,324,575 times
For us it slowly turned into a thing where just the kids went up.
I never liked skiing, it wasn't any big sacrifice for me.
(As Morningglory says--cold and expensive.)
When the kids were little, we'd bravely keep things going as a family, but it was a big production. If we had not had family with a place in Vail, we probably would not have gone up as much as we did.
When they got bigger, they wanted to snowboard, and they joined a club: Eskimo, Copper Choppers, or one of the other ones--anyway, they would go up on a bus every weekend for about six weeks. They came home tired and happy.
In the meantime, the kids were playing competitive soccer in the spring and fall.
As someone said before, it is a matter of priorities. If you really want to do it, you can make it happen.
Living up there would be half the battle.
Most of the people I knew tried to avoid going up on the weekends--they would rather take a day off work than fight the crowds.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:15 AM

184 posts, read 933,422 times
We lived in Denver for 3 years before we had children. We skiied on average 5-7 days per winter. The biggest reason we didn't do more was the drive -- 2 1/2 hours each way adds up.

Then we moved to a different state. We still manage to ski in the mountains at least 5 days per year. It just involves more of a vacation now. Plus, we aren't tied to one area -- our 6 days of skiing last year were in Switzerland.

Bottom line: Living in Colorado doesn't gaurantee you'll ski way more.

** On the kid topic, I really cannot see skiing more than 15 days per season once you have young kids unless 1) you live at the ski resort or 2) skiing is somehow part of your job. We have 3 young kids, and we are very active people who think "a bad day outdoors is better than a good day inside". And even if I lived within 5 minutes of the mountain, I'd find it hard to sneak more than 1 ski trip per weekend into our life at this point.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:20 AM

Question for those of you whose families/kids prevent you from skiing much: how often did you ski BEFORE you had families/kids?

Lindenin, you skied 5-7 days per season before kids, and you now ski 5-6 days per season after kids?

Old 07-15-2007, 08:55 AM

85,321 posts, read 99,606,759 times
We definitely skiied more before we had the kids. We were married 3 1/2 yrs before our first was born. Just as she was getting a little older, along came the second. Like cil, I was never crazy about it myself. Again, like cil, had family with a condo, this one in Steamboat. We'd go up and I'd ski less and less; my cousin who owned the condo would plan a 'day off' with me. Finally, I just quit. We'd go up, I'd bring a book, the rest of them would ski. Then kids did all those sports, then went to college out of state. The condo was sold. And so it goes. Kids are now back in-state. DD in grad school goes a lot, both on weekdays and weekends. DD #2 just came back this spring to go to CU. The biggest club on campus is the ski club. We'll see.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:02 AM

13,375 posts, read 40,324,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Question for those of you whose families/kids prevent you from skiing much: how often did you ski BEFORE you had families/kids?
My husband skied a lot. He'd go up with the guys.

Cross-country skiing was a choice, too, that's a lot cheaper.

But then it just became less and less often.

In our particular situation, I don't think it was so much this wrenching overnight decision of We Can Never Ever Go Skiing Again.

Priorities change.
We bought a house and wanted to work on it. We took trips to other places.
The kids enjoyed snowboard club during the winter, and at some point, that became enough for us. Because we had family and friends with a place in Vail, the opportunity to ski still presented itself every now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or