U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 09:08 AM

505 posts, read 1,921,071 times

Advertisements

Interesting discussion...

I'm a lurker here. Moved a year ago from Oregon to Northern Michigan. We had a ski resort about an hour away from us in Oregon. I could never ski on it (I grew up in Louisiana, so never learned). It was WAY too steep, and after a few times paying tons of money to be on my butt while boards and others' skiis flew over my head, I decided to take up cross country skiing instead.

As to kids, we gave up cross country to do snow shoes after we had them (I was never good enough to put thm in the backpack while I skiied).

Now that we're in Northern Michigan, the "slopes" are all bunny hills here, but it's totally affordable... All 4th graders ski for free here (my son will be in 4th grade next year), and many local places will give kids with good report cards free passes. They actually TEACH downhill skiing in our kids' 5th grade, for no extra cost to families (WOW)!

As to the cold, well, it's cold here all of the time, and it's all the same elevation, so you don't experience that shock of going from a valley to a peak. Cold is park of the territory, and these kdis here are tough. They have outside recess as long as the wind chill is above 15 degrees F. In fact right now, we have a fire in our woodstove, because it hasn't been above 70 in a few days. Yesterday it only got up to 63, and today it's only supposed to be 68! CRAZY!

I'm lurking here, because as I write, my spouse is out West fighting wildfires. We'll eventually end up back there, but who knows when.

We bought the kids cross country skiis for Christmas, and here you can just ski from your front door. I'm hoping to try downhill this year with them....

Long story short, Michigan is a great place to ski with kids!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 10:52 AM

184 posts, read 933,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Question for those of you whose families/kids prevent you from skiing much: how often did you ski BEFORE you had families/kids?

Lindenin, you skied 5-7 days per season before kids, and you now ski 5-6 days per season after kids?
Yep. But instead of doing a day-trip to Copper or Winter Park, we now do a 1-week trip to Steamboat or Whistler. Our financial situation has improved dramatically since the Denver days, so it enables us to do real family vacations vs. daytrips.

In our case, we love skiing but there are places we'd rather live than Colorado, so we make it work. Skiing is a hobby to us, not something that we want to pick our living location around. There are many places in the US, from the Blue Ridge mountains to the UP of Michigan to the Rockies to the California coast, that offer one a rich outdoor life.

My point on the kids is that it is very hard to have any type of excessive hobby once you have kids. For example, I'm an avid triathlete, but I have to keep it to the shorter distances as it is only realistic for me to do a 1 hour workout most mornings, with maybe a 2 hour workout once a week. Contrast that with spending from 6am - 9pm driving to, skiing, and driving back from a resort.... different ballgame.

Also, my experience is that you greatly modify your hobbies when you have kids. Just this morning, it was a gorgeous, crisp 58 degree sunrise with crystal blue skies here in Minneapolis, so I took my kids down to the boat and we went out fishing. Now, I could have fished all day. But my 3 year old fizzled after 90 minutes, and my 6 year old maybe had 30 more minutes left in him. We had a 2 hour fishing trip, and couldn't have gone a minute longer without a major blow-up.

I'm not complaining about kids - we're active, I still do my triathlons, hike, fish, camp, and have that ski vacation each year. It is exactly the life I want right now. And my kids are involved with their school and with sports. We are busy, but it is the right balance for now.

Last edited by Lindenin; 07-15-2007 at 11:04 AM..

Old 07-15-2007, 12:02 PM

1,872 posts, read 5,686,119 times
^^^ So Lindenin, you do make it work. You may not go for long days, but you do get out with your kids. This past season I skied bell-to-bell for 7 straight days. Do I expect to do the same next season with a 1-year old at home? Of course not. But I do expect to go out and ski. Maybe not for the whole day, maybe not as frequently, maybe not with the same intensity -- but I will go out and ski. We hike a lot -- 10-15-mile day-hikes. Do we expect to do that now with a child? No. But will we go out on hikes whenever possible, however short or mellow? Absolutely (in fact, we just did a short hike this morning).

My only point is that if it's a big enough part of your life before you have kids, you'll find a way to make it work after kids (maybe not with the same intensity or frequency). If you're not that crazy about it before, then you're not going to do it after. For instance, we have a couple-friend who are big movie buffs, going to the movies at least once every weekend. We'd go with them from time to time, but we're not that big into it. Now that we both have kids, we don't go to movies, because we weren't that into them to begin with. Our friends on the other hand have found ways (mainly babysitters/family/friends) to still watch a lot of movies, because that's what they like to do.

Some people manage to make it work, some don't. Sounds like most people on this board don't. Almost all our friends and colleagues do (running the gamut from 35-year natives to 6-month transplants, with and without kids).

Old 07-15-2007, 12:04 PM

1,872 posts, read 5,686,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird39 View Post
All 4th graders ski for free here (my son will be in 4th grade next year), and many local places will give kids with good report cards free passes. They actually TEACH downhill skiing in our kids' 5th grade, for no extra cost to families (WOW)!
That's a great way to get kids into the sport. Here in Colorado, 5th graders from Denver can ski for free anywhere at the Front Range ski areas (maybe lessons are included too, can't remember). Plus they get heavily discounted season-passes/tickets for after 5th grade.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:31 PM

184 posts, read 933,995 times
Quote:
My only point is that if it's a big enough part of your life before you have kids, you'll find a way to make it work after kids (maybe not with the same intensity or frequency). If you're not that crazy about it before, then you're not going to do it after. For instance, we have a couple-friend who are big movie buffs, going to the movies at least once every weekend. We'd go with them from time to time, but we're not that big into it. Now that we both have kids, we don't go to movies, because we weren't that into them to begin with. Our friends on the other hand have found ways (mainly babysitters/family/friends) to still watch a lot of movies, because that's what they like to do.
Good analogy. I probably had 15 "hobbies" before kids, and now I'd say I might have 3-4. You're right, the ones you are serious about will still occur (albeit not with the same frequency or intensity). The ones that were there as fillers will drop faster than you can blink.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:23 PM

5,607 posts, read 20,312,028 times
Growing up in the southeast Denver suburbs, I've been skiing since I was five years old (the bunny slope at Mary Jane). I remember going up a lot when I was in fifth grade, since they had the free passes. Then in the years since then, gradually less and less each season-- like 1 to 3 times each year. Now that I live in AZ I'm lucky if I can get in one ski trip a year when I come back home to visit. The Outback at Keystone is my favorite place to ski, but it's such a hassle driving there, taking the bus, and getting all the way to the back mountain, not to mention $$$$. The last five years when I have gone up, it's usually to Loveland, since it's the closest to Denver, relatively cheaper, less crowds, and still great skiing and awesome views. This last year, when I came back in December, with the 2 snow storms, I didn't ski even once. We rented skis, drove all the way to loveland, but it was literally 4 degrees there-- in the parking lot!-- and extremely windy-- so we blew it off and went back home.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:51 PM

26,346 posts, read 81,300,463 times
Quote:
Question for those of you whose families/kids prevent you from skiing much: how often did you ski BEFORE you had families/kids?
Probably two three/four day trips per year up to Mammoth Mountain or Tahoe (I grew up in SoCal). Of course back in 1976, lift tickets were $14, which is probably still cheaper than today adjusted for inflation. Plus two or three one day trips up to Wrightwood or Big Bear.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:04 PM

85,420 posts, read 99,726,347 times
We skiied probably once a month or so (in winter) before I got pregnant for the first time. I have posted earlier about how kids change things.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:26 PM

10 posts, read 42,237 times
Default if you love it

if you really loving to ski, you will find a way to get to the slopes no matter what.

if you enjoy to ski, you will probably only go out a few times each season.. haha

Old 07-16-2007, 04:05 PM

101 posts, read 416,037 times
from 99-04 I averaged 100days on snow a year
from 05-07 I skiied 5 times..

From 99-04 I lived in PA
from 05-07 I lived in CO

What happened you ask? well In PA I was an PSIA instructor/coach
In CO I got a real job... and snowmobiling really grabbed my attention.

So life happens priorities change, etc etc.
I just got married this summer, so that means my wife
will be getting lessons and learning the ropes of skiing..
she'll be as good as me when we are done this season
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or