U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 04:08 PM

1,872 posts, read 5,714,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazed-Coug View Post
In CO I got a real job...
We all make mistakes!

Quote:
she'll be as good as me when we are done this season
Either she's a good athlete, or you must suck at skiing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 04:44 PM

101 posts, read 417,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
We all make mistakes!
12k a year vs 70k a year... kinda can change your mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Either she's a good athlete, or you must suck at skiing!
There are few things in life that I can boast about and skiing is one of them.

So...I can safely say, I'm THAT good

I can only remember 2 people that I was unable to teach
the very basics to get down a bunny slope (keep in mind
we would run roughly 500-700 beginners on a weekend.
Lucky me I had Coaching duties to attend to on weekends.)

Old 07-16-2007, 04:46 PM

^^^ My whole post was all in jest. No worries, and no need to explain/defend yourself! :-)

Old 07-16-2007, 07:15 PM

101 posts, read 417,860 times
I figured it was with all the winking...
I do miss skiing, but I got kinda burned out skiing
with as much as was doing...

Old 07-16-2007, 07:57 PM

What PSIA level are you? I, II, III, Examiner, Demo team member? You should come out and ski with us in October when Loveland opens. There's a whole crew that gets out, many of them local instructors and examiners.

You and I may know and/or have skied with some of the same people. Do the names Jerry Berg, Megan Harvey, Weems Westfeldt, Joan Rostad, Ric Reiter, Bob Barnes ring any bells? Although, many of these guys are in the Rocky Mountain Division, so they may not.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:22 AM

60 posts, read 214,553 times
Cool Ah...the Good Ol' Days

When I first moved to Boulder (11 years ago), I skiied a minimum of three times per week at Eldora. DH was in management at the Harvest House at the time and they had an annual pass for management use. I had a toddler but Eldora had a reliable sitter to whom they referred me. $25/day for childcare was all it cost me to go skiing since I bought my own gear at Doc's (oh, how I miss that place).

We continued to ski pretty frequently either at Eldora or Summit County (on the weekends.) DH's parents lived year-round in Silverthorne, so we would go up on the weekends, have a nice family visit, ski for reduced rates (my FIL worked at Copper during his retirement) and come back to the city Sunday afternoon.

When my in-laws moved to Texas four years ago, they sold the big house in Summit and kept a townhouse for family use but with two more children and noone to look after them while we skiied, we stopped going up.

Nowadays, we're lucky to get to the slopes a few times a season. We love Winter Park, but we hate I-70, so we stick close to home a lot when we do ski. Hopefully (*fingers crossed*) we'll be able to buy a place in the next few years in Fraser and we can start skiing again as a family.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:23 PM

32 posts, read 242,927 times
Default skiing with kids

We lived in Castle Rock for a year and a half. Before that we lived in Florida. Our children were 8-10 at the time and had never skiied before. My husband grew up skiing and is an excellent skier. We had season passes to Copper and skied 21 times. But , here is why it worked. First of all, our children were on "tracks" in Castle Rock, meaning they goto school 8 weeks, off 3 weeks. They were off for 3 weeks in November into Dec and 3 weeks in February. During these 3 week breaks my husband (who is self employed)would take the kids to ski for the day. They would leave in the morning and come back at night. They went during the week when the slopes were not crowded and had a great time. Also, we took 2 long weekend trips as a family in February and April which were great.

However, if not for this year round school schedule with 3 week breaks and my husbands ability to take time off, we would definitely have gone much less (maybe 5-6 times), for the reason other posters stated...the kids team sport activities. As they get older, they are less able to miss practices an all of the games are on the weekends.

Now that we are back in Florida, the kids are glad they had the experience of learning to downhill ski.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:34 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,052,358 times
Nope. Never ever wanted to. Sleds are fun but water skiing is enough for me and I have no wishes to do that again.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:11 PM

1,551 posts, read 1,091,702 times
Despite having lived in two world-class ski resorts for most of my adult life (Aspen and Whistler), I’ve never skied. I refuse to participate in any sport that requires an ambulance down in the valley!

I photograph those who have mastered the sport, and I help to ‘bandage’ the fallen at the end of the day, but I still consider skiing suicidal behaviour, as graceful and elegant as it may look!

Blessings!

Mahrie.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:19 PM

5,034 posts, read 8,865,076 times
This could be an interesting thread, probably should pose the question in the Denver or CS forums. I do know when I have worked in an office in Denver I had about the same percentage of skiing colleagues as I did when I worked in the Bay Area. Its not that many. What I think differs is the skiers in Denver get up to ski many times more often than in the Bay Area or probably any major city within driving distance of a decent lift. I had a couple of coworkers in Vegas who had season passes for the local mountain with its four lifts. Skiing is popular to about the same degree everywhere in the West it seems, just a matter of how accessible it is leading to how many day trips get made. But seems without question people who don't live in Colorado think all residents of Colorado are degenerate ski bums, much like people mistakenly think every Florida resident spends every free day on the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or