U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2007, 08:18 PM

106 posts, read 510,108 times

Advertisements

I read many of these threads, of people wanting to move to Colorado because they love skiing. And if they are like me, they will get a job and place in Denver (I did in the mid-90's). They will proceed to ski a bunch the 1st winter they are there... almost a day a week. Then, the drive starts to wear on them, they begin getting involved in their community, etc. Long story short -- while they have great plans to ski 15-20 times per winter, they realistically make it out 2-3 times.

I ask because it happened to me and at least half a dozen friends I know.

So my honest question for you locals is this: How many days per winter do you actually hit the slopes? Please include where you live, as I would expect someone living in Summit County makes it out way, way more than someone living in Denver or Springs.

Thanks... I'm truly interested in this answer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 08:25 PM

1,872 posts, read 5,651,014 times
When I lived in Lakewood, I skied 40-50 days each season for 4 seasons, starting mid-October at Loveland and ending in May at A-Basin. This'll be my first winter in Summit County, so hopefully I'll get more days in.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:43 PM

106 posts, read 510,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
When I lived in Lakewood, I skied 40-50 days each season for 4 seasons, starting mid-October at Loveland and ending in May at A-Basin. This'll be my first winter in Summit County, so hopefully I'll get more days in.
Wow - all daytrips? As in 50 roundtrips to and from the mountains each winter?

Old 07-14-2007, 08:48 PM

Most were day-trips (maybe one or two 2-3-day trips thrown in per season). Almost always carpooled with friends -- so it's not like I drove every single time.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:02 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,739,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxx99 View Post
I read many of these threads, of people wanting to move to Colorado because they love skiing. And if they are like me, they will get a job and place in Denver (I did in the mid-90's). They will proceed to ski a bunch the 1st winter they are there... almost a day a week. Then, the drive starts to wear on them, they begin getting involved in their community, etc. Long story short -- while they have great plans to ski 15-20 times per winter, they realistically make it out 2-3 times.

I ask because it happened to me and at least half a dozen friends I know.

So my honest question for you locals is this: How many days per winter do you actually hit the slopes? Please include where you live, as I would expect someone living in Summit County makes it out way, way more than someone living in Denver or Springs.

Thanks... I'm truly interested in this answer.
This is a good question. It illustrates what a lot of people use as their priorities when making major life and financial decisions. Kind of like the "dusty treadmill in the garage", nice idea but is it practical? Same question could be asked of Californians (Same thing over there..."I love the beach, the diversity, the restaurants, etc...") as they are at the beach three times a year, eat at globy jokbotznit kabutenil restaurants once a year, etc. and pay $400+/sqft and get annihilated daily in traffic for the ability to do so. However I think single people are understandably more likely to use these things in their relocation decisions. They have the disposable time and disposable income. They don't need to worry about things like school districts. Socializing is more important than stability for them.

OK we (I, wife, three kids under 7) went went twice last year to Ski Cooper from Monument. Even though Ski Cooper is pretty cheap (it has a great ski school though) it costs $350/day for our rentals, tickets and kids' lessons.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:09 PM

FYI, I'm married, but my wife doesn't ski much (maybe 2 or 3 times per season). No kids until spring of this year.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:31 PM

It's all a matter of priorities. Most of my friends also get in about 20-50 days per season. Most of them live in Denver, and are married, many with kids. Some of the wives and kids ski, some don't. If it's important enough for you, you can make time for it without hurting other aspects of your life. And if you do it often enough, you figure out ways to never pay retail for anything -- there are always discounts to be had.

To suggest that only single people can enjoy recreational opportunities, or that those with families cannot do so is absurd. We are out everyday with our 5-month old, whether it's hiking, running, biking, or even just walking -- and we are not alone.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:41 PM

84,958 posts, read 98,776,620 times
Fuzz: you may be surprised how this changes as your child gets involved in his/her own sports. We had a kid on the Broomfield HS gymnastics team for 7 yrs; not much time for us to do anything else during gymnastics season (fall here in CO). Then one of them did diving in the winter - bye, bye winter. We did go skiing once that winter and made her miss a meet which did not make her too happy, but the parents have to live, too.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:47 PM

As I mentioned, priorities. My friends who are really into skiing, their kids don't do sports that take up so much of their time that they can't go skiing. They've brought up the kids skiing, so they go skiing as a family. Or if the kids do other sports, they strike a balance where the kids' sports don't take over everything.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:48 PM

But we digress...perhaps we should return to the original question of how many days do Denverites/COSpringites ski?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or