Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 07:17 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,451,391 times

Advertisements

Hey!

I'm a teacher in North Carolina who's looking to move out west for work, and Colorado is one place I'm looking at. I know the economy's tough, and state budgets are tight, but can anyone give me information on the job outlook for teachers in CO?

Thanks.

Mackinac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 07:59 AM

86 posts, read 338,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hey!

I'm a teacher in North Carolina who's looking to move out west for work, and Colorado is one place I'm looking at. I know the economy's tough, and state budgets are tight, but can anyone give me information on the job outlook for teachers in CO?

Thanks.

Mackinac
Hey there, Mackinac!

Over the last few years I've noticed that the Pikes Peak Community College has been pretty consistent in needing instructors. I can send you a DM of their current job listings if you'd like.
~M~

Old 12-12-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AUNTYEMinCOLORADO
Hey there, Mackinac!

Over the last few years I've noticed that the Pikes Peak Community College has been pretty consistent in needing instructors. I can send you a DM of their current job listings if you'd like.
~M~
Definitely, feel free. Thanks!

Old 12-12-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Definitely, feel free. Thanks!
No problem!
Probably has some English errors in it, but it's sent.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:49 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,367,714 times
Teaching jobs are extremely hard to get in Colorado. Most school districts are facing severe and worsening budget problems. Many are laying off teachers--you will be competing against them for any available job. There probably has not been a worse time in the last 30 years to try to get a teaching job in this state. Not that it can't be done, but it will be exceedingly difficult, especially for anyone not already living here.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:10 AM

I don't know about it being 'extremely' hard to get. A friends wife (new to the area), got a teaching job in COS with no problems. Know of another who lives in Denver and she teaches over the net.
Pikes Peak Community college is always posting the need.
Plus, I've seen listings on quite a few elementary school sites looking too
Wonder why they are asking for new hires if there are budget cuts and lay offs?

Old 12-12-2010, 11:46 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,716,059 times
Quote:
Hey!

Thanks.

Mackinac
In what area is your certification? That makes a big difference. Special education certification broadens your chances in the job market today. You can go to the website of any city's school district & scan the job openings at this time of year. Spring is the time the listings for next year come out.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bongo
In what area is your certification? That makes a big difference. Special education certification broadens your chances in the job market today. You can go to the website of any city's school district & scan the job openings at this time of year. Spring is the time the listings for next year come out.
I'm certified in English and history in grades 6-12. I know that math and science are always the most in demand. I'll begin searching in earnest this spring, but I'm just scanning the landscape right now.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:55 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,367,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUNTIEMinCOLORADO View Post
I don't know about it being 'extremely' hard to get. A friends wife (new to the area), got a teaching job in COS with no problems. Know of another who lives in Denver and she teaches over the net.
Pikes Peak Community college is always posting the need.
Plus, I've seen listings on quite a few elementary school sites looking too
Wonder why they are asking for new hires if there are budget cuts and lay offs?
Well, lucky them.

Now, let's talk about what is far more common. I'll use as an example a Colorado school district with which I have a lot of familiarity. Last year, they hired two, that's two, teachers--less than 1% of their total teacher staff. That is not a net gain--there were probably a dozen or more teachers who retired or quit--many in the latter group because their spouses lost their jobs in the local community and had to relocate to find work. In order to avoid out-and-out staff layoffs, the district cut budgets, programs, and activities everywhere they could. Fees were instituted for everything--athletics, extra-curricular programs, you name it. The school leaders have acknowledged to me that this won't be enough for next year. They are bantering around more ideas--charging kids to ride the school buses, more fees, and the like. The school has even gone to some local non-profit and charitable organizations asking for money to fund minor remodels in school buildings that the district can not fund. This coming year, the district is looking at potentially having to cut up to 10% of their teacher workforce to balance the budget. They do not think they can meet that with resignations and retirements, so . . .

Such problems are not limited to just a few districts, but many of them. Some of the metro districts have escaped some of this so far, but the rural districts are already being hit hard. Also, because of the way Colorado's property tax system is structured (property taxes are a major source of school funding), the impact of reduced property values occurring now won't be fully felt for another 1-2 years, but those negative funding impacts are coming, and will be unavoidable. So, for many areas, the REAL funding crisis for schools has not even hit yet.

Most all schools follow a "Last-In-First-Out" personnel policy, so even if someone gets a job with a district, if layoffs come, the "newbie" will likely be the first one to be laid off.

That is the hard reality. Oh, one other thing, older teachers, many of whom previously would retire just as soon as they reached retirement eligibility, are staying on--their confidence in the retirement system's solvency is shaken enough that they are going to continue working as long as possible. I know a number of teachers doing exactly that.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:03 PM

Qualified, not lucky.
You know, I really do like reading your post, Jazzlover, and especially when you talk about food.
But (and maybe it's just me), quite often it seems your post are to discourage the non natives? Probably just me so, never mind.

Your post does make me want to find out more. When I get some time this next week, I will mingle around and check it all out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado