U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2007, 11:35 AM

435 posts, read 1,650,545 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Colorado in a few weeks from NC & I was wondering if anyone on here has driven that route before? I've been told the best way to go is take I-40 from NC all the way to Oklahoma City. Then take I-35 to I-70 in Kansas. Does that sound like the best way to go? Or would it be faster to go another way?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 02:52 PM

1,048 posts, read 3,921,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethebigcity View Post
I'll be moving to Colorado in a few weeks from NC & I was wondering if anyone on here has driven that route before? I've been told the best way to go is take I-40 from NC all the way to Oklahoma City. Then take I-35 to I-70 in Kansas. Does that sound like the best way to go? Or would it be faster to go another way?

Thanks!
This would be 1783 miles. However, if you take I-40 to I-24/I-64 to I-70, that would be ~1580 miles.

Last edited by ColoWeb; 07-15-2007 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: Edited to start at Charlotte, NC for miles

Old 07-15-2007, 03:05 PM

150 posts, read 691,173 times
Default Go I-40!

I made a very similar trip from Albuquerque (on I-40) to Southeastern Virginia two years ago. I would recommend I-40 west...through the Smoky Mts. area, and Tennesee and Arkansas isn't that bad for scenery either. But at Oklahoma City, I'd go on west to Amarillo, and up NW on US87 to I-25. I too don't know where in Colorado you're going, but this would give you a little taste of the Front Range of the Rockies as you enter Colorado from NE New Mexico. When you pass through Raton Pass (NM/CO line)...you're home! :-)
The interstates bore me to death however, so if you are not on a mandatory "quick-trip," look for some parallel, "scenic" US highway drives to break the monotony.
Good luck with your trip, and new life in Colorado!

Old 07-15-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
This would be 1783 miles. However, if you take I-40 to I-24/I-64 to I-70, that would be ~1580 miles.
See I thought that would be the way to go as well, but someone said that it wouldn't.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm_photojournalist View Post
I made a very similar trip from Albuquerque (on I-40) to Southeastern Virginia two years ago. I would recommend I-40 west...through the Smoky Mts. area, and Tennesee and Arkansas isn't that bad for scenery either. But at Oklahoma City, I'd go on west to Amarillo, and up NW on US87 to I-25. I too don't know where in Colorado you're going, but this would give you a little taste of the Front Range of the Rockies as you enter Colorado from NE New Mexico. When you pass through Raton Pass (NM/CO line)...you're home! :-)
The interstates bore me to death however, so if you are not on a mandatory "quick-trip," look for some parallel, "scenic" US highway drives to break the monotony.
Good luck with your trip, and new life in Colorado!
Thanks. I'm moving to outside of Denver, but I am also on a time crunch in getting there. I'd love to drive through NM to get to Colorado, but I don't think I'll have to time. I love the Smoky Mountains (went to college up there so its like another home to me).
Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or