U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:37 PM

15 posts, read 56,821 times

Advertisements

Thank you for responding, Jazzlover.

The climate info I have seen is one of the main reasons this area has come into play;

Living in MN our whole lives, anywhere we move will be a culture shock!!
But we know that we need a change. Change is supposed to be good...they say...
are there alot of Mong? or -to be totally politically incorrect- arabs?
I have seen things...with my own eyes; not just on TV...

We want something alittle simpler. One article I read described Trinidad as having "less people now than 100 years ago." That is a big plus in our book!
Do people have big, lush, green grass that they have to mow 3 times a week in the Trinidad area (other than the golf course), or are folks more relaxed about the yards?
Up here, we have an acre of field that we refuse to mow down; and some neighbors drive past and sneer at us...the guy next to us has a sprinkler system; he mows every other day. We think he is nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 03:18 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,113,571 times
Ha! Lush green lawns that have to be mowed three times a week? You have to be kidding, right? Without irrigation, you won't have lawn at all. As for yards, one thing that will turn a lot of people off about rural Colorado is that many yards are quite junky. Things don't rust, and a lot of people keep old cars and other stuff around their yards, especially in that part of Colorado. You'd better come see for yourself. Same with what I'm saying about the culture. It's not like a lot of the rest of the US. Don't try to compare it with Minnesota or the Midwest--there is no comparison. (I have relatives in eastern North Dakota, so I have spent time in Minnesota.)

Trinidad used to be one the largest cities in Colorado. It was the center of a huge coal mining area. That era ended long ago, and Trinidad went through decades of "slow decay." It's improving some now, but it is still a pretty tough area, economically.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:03 PM

16,181 posts, read 20,191,435 times
Jazzlover is right. Up until the late 50's Pueblo was the 2nd largest city of Colorado and Trinidad 5th, I believe. The coal mines outside of Trinidad (and northwest of Raton, N.M.) employed a lot of people. And C,F,and I was what kept Pueblo going. When those industries closed up shop in the early '80's, unemployment in southern Colorado was double digit for several years. Needless to say, when the kids graduate they go to Denver or Colorado Springs for opportunity. But I love the old downtown of Trinidad, some nice old architecture there. You won't find many 400K McMansions there. If I was going to move back to the front range, I would consider Trinidad and Pueblo over Denver.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 4,441 times
Default Considering Moving to Trinidad Area.

Hi all, we're considering moving to the Trinidad area as well and have been doing a fair bit of reading and would appreciate some advice. We're retired military and now I want to return to live close to the mountains again (I used to live near the rockies). We were considering the Trinidad area because it seems to have a good cost of living, we're like the other couple, we like people but in small doses...lol...and we both love to hike and climb in the mountains.

My hobby is photography and we have dogs (Keeshonds) and aren't opposed to learning some spanish . What we would like to know are any negative factors about the area...we live close to Memphis right now so crime is a top issue with us, shopping isn't an issue (God bless ebay and the internet) pretty much everything can be delivered now a days, mostly we want to know which areas aren't "scenic", for example, junk yards for front yards, are there any particular local problems...unrestricted hunting/trespassing, ATV's roaring by properties at all hours, those types of things.

Hopefully, someone can suggest specific areas where we can live with a bit of land around us, where the taxes aren't skyrocketing (100.00 per month per hundred thousand is considered reasonable but less is better!), the community lives in reasonably peaceful coexistence (no shooting every day!). We don't need to be hermit style remote and would appreciate a link to types of energy, hook-ups, road maintenance costs etc. We want to live within our means and get as much land as we can reasonably afford without blowing the budget and need a bit of help finding out if this area would be good for us.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:29 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,113,571 times
I have posted elsewhere on Trinidad, so I'll try not to repeat. Like much of rural southern Colorado, it is very much an acquired taste. Culturally, it is heavily Hispanic and always has been. If you are willing to assimilate to that, it can be nice place--a lot of Anglos never do, though, and they wind up hating it. I had two friends who lived in Trinidad--both Anglos. One really liked it there and was sorry when the company he worked for transferred him out. The other also worked for a company that had operations in Trinidad and was transferred into there. He was originally from back East, but had lived in Denver. He had a horrible time getting along with the locals, despised every minute he was there, and begged for and finally got a transfer out.

Trinidad is doing better economically now, mostly because of a lot of coalbed methane gas drilling occurring in the area. I do know some people who live in rural Las Animas County who complain about the noise from gas compressor stations that have been built close to their property (like 3 miles away--and the compressors are still loud).

I really like the climate in Trinidad--it is pretty nice. One thing that recreationists need to take into account, though, is that a lot of the mountain areas around Trinidad are part of the old Spanish Land Grants, and--thus--are NOT public lands. In fact, Culebra Peak, west of Trinidad, is the only 14,000+ ft. elevation peak in Colorado located wholly on private land. So, there is a lot of pretty mountain country to look at around Trinidad, but you may not be able to recreate on it.

This website, though a little too "promoting" to my tastes, does have some good information on southern Colorado and northern New Mexico : Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Nevada Information and Vacation Planner

Old 08-15-2008, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,992 times
Angry Trinidad Gas Stations

Hello:

I just drove to Trinidad on my way to Fort Collins. I can't believe what the owner of all the gas stations in Trinidad has done to consumers by ripping people off with extremely high prices. Does anyone know who this jerk is? Someone even threw a rock through one of his windows at one of his stations near downtown. VERY WELL DESERVED AND HOORAY FOR THE PERSON WHO DID THIS! All I can say to everyone who reads this posting: DO NOT BUY GAS IN TRINIDAD AND PUT THE OWNER OF THESE GAS STATIONS (JERK) OUT OF BUSINESS!!! This is B.S. and this guy (Jerk) shouldn't be allowed to do something like this in such an incredibly nice town such as Trinidad.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:38 PM

5 posts, read 21,717 times
Default Trinidad, CO

As a traveling healthcare worker, I have the opportunity, to see new places, meet new people. On my recent stay in Trinidad, I had my SUV smashed in by most likely,one of the local drunks or vagrants. Of which seem to fill the city streets. If asked , it was body slammed, not a vehicle.
So thats one bad point about this so called jewel of a sm town. Also the hospital is staffed by poorly trained nurses, so may be very careful, about your consideration for any type of stay.
As far as the town, nothing to do, one 4 screen , outdated movie theatre, food is ok, but consider the springs if you have children,and more to do. From what I was told, the schools are sub-standard . This is only what was told to me, and my observations of this town,and at no time felt Safe!

Old 12-09-2008, 02:30 PM

1,442 posts, read 3,571,859 times
did you spot many 'females' with big ol' adams apples?

my junk is on high alert whenever we're passing through the area en route to Taos. Trinidad is where strange things happen to strange people.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:31 PM

2,139 posts, read 5,487,813 times
Give me a break.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:42 PM

1,442 posts, read 3,571,859 times
Gotta love Wikipedia:

Trinidad, Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Trinidad has been dubbed the "Sex Change Capital of the World", because a local doctor had an international reputation for performing sex reassignment surgery. In the 1960s, Dr. Stanley Biber, a veteran surgeon returning from Korea, decided to move to Trinidad because he had heard that the town needed a surgeon. In 1969 a local social worker asked him if he would perform the surgery for her, which he learned by consulting diagrams and a New York surgeon. Biber attained a reputation as a good surgeon at a time when very few doctors performed the operations. At his peak, Biber was performing roughly four sex change operations a day, and the term "taking a trip to Trinidad" became a euphemism for some seeking the procedures he offered. His surgical practice was taken over in 2003 by Marci Bowers. Trinidad's reputation as the sex change capital has been uncomfortable for some residents, as it is otherwise a socially conservative small town. However, the revenue brought in by Biber was important to keeping the local hospital running, and Biber was himself a respected community leader.[citation needed] Biber was also featured in an episode of South Park where elementary school teacher Mr. Garrison undergoes a sex change operation."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado