U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 01:53 PM

228 posts, read 515,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
did you spot many 'females' with big ol' adams apples?

my junk is on high alert whenever we're passing through the area en route to Taos. Trinidad is where strange things happen to strange people.

LOLOL. Few people outside the state are aware of Trinidad's dark, disturbing secret. Don't pick up any prostitutes there, you might get a nasty surprise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 08:42 AM

1,442 posts, read 3,569,406 times
I dunno where it ranks these days in the world of tranny surgery, but it's the first thing that comes to mind among most longtime CO residents when the subject comes up...

Old 12-12-2008, 11:05 AM

13,624 posts, read 21,483,824 times
Default Poor Trinidad

I don't know why Trinidad is the capitol of that, but I guess they are.

You wouldn't know it to drive through the town. From what I understand, it's not a local phenomena. People probably come from all over the world to do this particular surgery there. Then they probably go back home. I doubt there's a bunch of big handed Adam's Apple havin' women roamin' the steets there.

They do have good food there. Good Mexican food and good Italian.

You got the Trinidad Miners and a Trinidad Catholic school there I believe. You also could live up the road a couple of miles and send your kids to Hoehne High School which is rated pretty good. Or you could head west a bit past the beautiful Stonewall and live in Cuchara and send your kids to La Veta!

Trinidad sets in the huge county of Las Animas and was once a thriving coal mining town I believe. It would be nice to hear from someone who actually lives there or someone like Jazzlover... someone who knows the bleep what there talkin' about!

For all we know, it might become the modern-day epicenter of a thriving wind-tower farm and high-grade "GREEN" coal-mining plant once again! Trinidad might one day become the new Denver!

Old 12-12-2008, 03:15 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times
I haven't spent as much time in Trinidad as I have in other parts of Colorado, but it is an intriguing place--a tremendous amount of history there. Since the demise of the coal industry there decades ago, it has faced repeated economic struggles. Trinidad is getting some economic boost now from coalbed methane gas drilling, but whether that lasts with natural gas prices now declining remains to be seen. I have two friends who spent time (at different times) living in Trinidad. Both will allow that they had some "interesting" experiences there. Both worked in businesses with a lot of public contact; both were Anglo, and the customers of both businesses in which they worked were largely from the predominant Hispanic community in Trinidad. Suffice it to say that Trinidad is still very much an old line Hispanic community common in that area of southern Colorado and northern New Mexico. One--especially if he or she is Anglo--had better be willing to accept that culture for what it is, or he or she is unlikely to have a positive experience there. It is what it is.

As for the "sex change capital" thing, that has pretty much been covered. Many of them were/are done there--few, if any, of the patients are local. Yes, the business has been positive financially for the local hospital.

One thing usually unmentioned is that Trinidad has a pretty agreeable climate all of the way around, though it is very thunderstorm-prone in the summer. Climatically, I personally rate it as one of Colorado's nicer places. For most, though, I believe Trinidad would be a culturally challenging place to live, and the economy of the area is pretty shaky--has been for years, and is likely to remain so.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:24 PM

113 posts, read 357,600 times
I have been to just about every town in Colorado and Trinidad was the only one where I didn't feel safe. As soon as we took an exit off I-25, I got a creepy feeling that didn't leave me until we got back on the highway a day and a half later. No disrespect to anyone that lives there, as I'm sure there are nice areas that I missed, but I'm just telling you the honest truth of how I felt when I was there. While driving/walking around town, more people stared at me than anywhere else in Colorado in the last seven years combined (and no, I don't look freakish or abnormal, just a normal-looking guy). There were also a lot of sketchy looking characters standing outside of bars. What was that all about? Overall, I just got a bad vibe from that place. Never felt that way in any other Colorado town, regardless of size.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:03 PM

23 posts, read 112,541 times
Default Can anyone tell me about Trinidad Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by louriez View Post
Hello:

I just drove to Trinidad on my way to Fort Collins. I can't believe what the owner of all the gas stations in Trinidad has done to consumers by ripping people off with extremely high prices. Does anyone know who this jerk is? Someone even threw a rock through one of his windows at one of his stations near downtown. VERY WELL DESERVED AND HOORAY FOR THE PERSON WHO DID THIS! All I can say to everyone who reads this posting: DO NOT BUY GAS IN TRINIDAD AND PUT THE OWNER OF THESE GAS STATIONS (JERK) OUT OF BUSINESS!!! This is B.S. and this guy (Jerk) shouldn't be allowed to do something like this in such an incredibly nice town such as Trinidad.
The owner of all the gas stations is Duran's. The schools here are very behind and if your child isnt a native here to Trinidad or your family doesnt own a business here then your child will not fit in!! Will not receive scholarships and treated like dirt.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 18 days ago)

10,285 posts, read 10,442,913 times
I lived in Trinidad for a while, went to High School there. Have lots of good and bad to say about it, but I'm going to limit it to this:

This is a nice, small town of about 10,000 that seems to really be heading in the right direction, but has a long way to go. My parents still live there, and I occasionally return and am happy to see the progress.

That said, I graduated Hight School in 1999, joined the service, and never plan on living there again. I'd guess that 80% of my graduating class still lives there, and I truely hope they're happy with their decision. That place just is not for me.

So my final thoughts on the place are that because my parents still live there, I'm going to visit from time to time. And while I'm there, I'll always be looking for the good things about the little town. But if my parents moved to another location I'd have no reason what-so-ever to ever set foot there again.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:53 PM

13,624 posts, read 21,483,824 times
Well there, Autism166. You're commenting about a one-time poster who's complaining about gas prices when they were $3.99/ gallon. That was certainly rough.

Now, you've had bad experiences in Pueblo West, Colorado Springs, Lamar, Aguilar, Aurora, Denver, Alamosa, Branson, and of course Trinidad... just to name a few.

So how was Kansas and/or Arizona? Have you ever had a good experience in Colorado? If so, what was it? Was it anything that you've ever posted on City-Data? If not, I'd go to Maine or Miami Florida. They are very far from Colorado, and surely a lot different. Colorado surely doesn't seem to treat you well.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:54 PM

5 posts, read 14,630 times
Default Colorado and NM mountain areas are pretty crowded

You might consider Wyoming if you don't want a lot of people around. Trinidad and La Veta are pretty crowded with people from New England, Massachussets and California. And they are coming here more and more all the time. We now have water problems.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:57 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,899,377 times
My aunt and her husband moved to Trinidad 3-4 years ago. I've visited them and driven through town a couple of times. I might be wrong about this - but it doesn't seem that its close to any mountains. The closet mountain range is maybe an hour and a half drive?Anyway, Trinidad is a high desert area. This may not be what you're looking for when you envision yourself living near mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado