U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 08:49 PM

246 posts, read 547,719 times

Advertisements

I lived there in the late 80s and early 90s. Ask away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 08:51 PM

246 posts, read 547,719 times
I then moved to Raton and lived there until 2004. We went
to Trinidad often, my doctor was there and I miss my vet
there terribly! Ask away.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:02 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
I've commented on Trinidad before, but I'll repeat a little here. First, there is some beautiful older architecture in Trinidad. It is one of Colorado's most historical communities. It is relatively close time-wise to some bigger cities (Pueblo and Colorado Springs). It has an overall pleasant 4-season climate. There is some outstanding mountain country nearby. All good. But, there is the downside. Trinidad is a former coal mining community. It has endured decades of economic semi-depression. There are a lot of decayed and crumbling buildings in town. Shopping is typical Colorado small-town fare--a few tourist trinket shops, a few very basic stores, and Walmart. There are few jobs--many of the better-paying ones the last few years were in the coalbed methane well-drilling industry. With the low prices of natural gas these days, those are diminishing. Crime can be problem there, and--typical of many Colorado towns like Trinidad--alcohol abuse (and the drunk driving that goes with it) can be an issue. One thing that really destroys a lot of the ambiance of Trinidad, in my opinion, is that Interstate 25 literally rips through the heart of downtown, mostly on overpasses--that is a real blight on the downtown area that has been there for years. Unfortunately, CDOT is rebuilding all of that--right in the same place. So it will be that way for another 50 years or more.

Culturally, the town is heavily Hispanic, and not always necessarily tolerant of Anglos. As in many heavily Hispanic areas of southern Colorado, Anglos must make a concerted effort to get along in the community. Come into town with a big suburban yuppie Anglo chip on one's shoulder, and it is likely to get knocked off sooner or later. I've never had a problem in those communities, but I'm a long-time rural Coloradan who has spent considerable time around the local culture in southern Colorado and northern New Mexico.

Climatically, Trinidad is one of my favorite spots in Colorado. The history of the place is captivating. But I don't think it would make my "Top-10" list of places to live.

Last edited by jazzlover; 08-29-2009 at 10:18 AM..

Old 08-30-2009, 06:09 PM

12,842 posts, read 24,473,188 times
Allow me to add that heavily Hispanic communities (I'm thinking more of northern N.M., where the communities go way back) can be very inhospitable to women, period, whether you have the previously mentioned "Anglo hippie chip" or not. Just my humble experience.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:01 PM

1,778 posts, read 3,479,129 times
We will be visiting Trinidad in a few weeks. I have looked at Chama, NM for many years but have decided to take a quick look at Trinidad myself.

What do you many about Colorado's taxes not being cheap? Just curious about taxes myself. I live on a ranch in Eastern OK. and we have very low property taxes so that is also a very big concern of mine. In the end I'll probably stay where I am at but there is just a lot of work keeping a cattle ranch going and I sure miss the mountains.

Back to Trinidad, which B & B would you stay at. I would like to be very close to the historic district.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:35 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
To settle the tax thing: Colorado has one of lowest effective tax rates on residential property in the United States. Commercial property, and non-agricultural vacant land are another matter--the effective tax rates on those are mediocre, at best. Colorado's income tax is middling, as are vehicle registration fees--even with the increase on vehicle licenses that went into effect on July 1st. Where Colorado is high is on fuel taxes and sales taxes. Fuel taxes are among the highest in the US. Colorado state sales tax is modest, but add county, local, and special district sales taxes on top of that and the rate can top 8% or more. Food is exempt from STATE sales tax, but may or may not be exempt from county and local sales taxes, depending on the locale. Colorado has, without doubt, the most complex and byzantine sales tax system for vendors to comply with of any of the 50 states. If you plan to run a business here--especially one doing business in multiple locales or sales points, be aware of that.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:14 AM

I wonder how you find out about all the taxes of the Trinidad area, like Weston which is about 20 miles west of Trinidad.

I pay 9 percent sales tax and food is not exempt here in Eastern OK. We are trying to figure out what income taxes will be on retirement income. Is there some scale on the internet?

Old 08-31-2009, 11:52 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,901,170 times
You have to be aware that Trinidad is in the desert. It's brown and dusty. Not green and mountainous. It's a very small town and nowhere near the "good shopping" that you're looking for. Also I doubt there is much artistic creativity going on there. Based on your criteria, I don't think Trinidad is what you're looking for.

How about Castle Rock. It's a small, pretty community in between CO springs and Denver.

Or if I may suggest something outside Colorado, how about one of the towns near San Francisco (Sunnyvale, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingRoses View Post
I have put Colorado on my list of places to investigate...that are near enough to my family but not "pop on over" too near. I am not interested in Boulder as it is just too expensive and "too too" everything. I'd like to stay in Southern area....rather than north of Denver. Trinidad looks really nice...I grew up in a small town (5,000) and so am familiar with small towns.

I have to admit that I love Santa Fe...or maybe I loved Santa Fe when I first visited over 20 years ago. Since then, it seems to have just ballooned into a mecca for "shiny people" (as my friend calls them now). Shame, really. I still am looking for a town that reminds me a bit of Mount Shasta, California, and a bit of Sedona and Portland but is still near enough to a good shopping area. Trinidad reminds me of that (on paper anyway.) I thought Pueblo might be nice, but a friend told me that the crime was really high (wait, wait, wait...let me finish)...BUT I know that is relative to neighborhoods, etc etc so I am still open to learning more and have not crossed that out. It just seems more "desert" and Trinidad seems a bit more "green" and mountainous. Is it very isolated and hard to get to larger cities? (That's the burning question.)

This is what I am looking for...preferably in CO or...? I am open as I work for myself. I have no children at home anymore, so schools are not an issue.

1. Affordable, affordable houses...preferably vintage...older houses.
2. A community of writers/artists or progressive thinkers...they don't have to be liberals....just broad-minded....Coast to Coasters...as in George's Coasters.
3. One good bookstore (at least) and a cafe.
4. A place that is open to new business (retail....perhaps one day)
5. A Hobby Lobby or Michael's within driving distance. (I like to make stuff.)
6. A college in the town or nearby (Community college is fine...just so there is a place to take courses....to enrich my life.)
7. A view of mountains.
8. Friendly people.
9. Low taxes (It's silly to buy an inexpensive house when you then have to pay the equivalent of another mortgage in taxes.)
10. I don't mind hot for a few weeks....but hot and humid for most of the year...no, thank you.

I am open to suggestions........thank you very, very, much...!

Blessings...

RR

Old 08-31-2009, 02:42 PM

It seems to show mountains in all the pictures. I once lived in high dessert in Utah so I am aware of brown. Reading their Chamber of Commerce they are saying that retirees are moving to Trinidad. I wonder if that is just one of those Chamber of Commerce comments. One person retired there kind of thing.

I love Chama, NM which is only a few thousand people but would be a dab too far from my children in OKC. 6 -7 hours compared to 10 - 12 hours kind of thing. Also, Chama seems more remote. Anyway I certainly will get a fill of Trinidad in a few weeks.

You mention of no mountains, how that would be a real negative to me. I am looking for mountains. When we retire in a few years and sell this ranch, I will buy someplace else and not need a job so job situations is not a requirement.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:14 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,901,170 times
Trinidad is within driving distance of mountains, but it's not like it's on the side of a mountain or anything. The "peaks" that you see in the photos is not really the mountains. It's more like bluffs or mesas. Not mountains in the traditional sense. You might consider Littleton Colorado which is more mountainous and very beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado