U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:16 AM

1,778 posts, read 3,481,811 times

Advertisements

Well, my main reson for going to Trinidad in a coule of weeks is its history which I find fascinating. Also, if we are to move from Eastern OK, I need to be with say 9 hours from my daughters and their families in Stillwater, OK so Littleton would be a little too far as is Chama (extra 4 hours) not to mention I believe Littleton might be a tad more expensive then Trinidad. Next year I might go ahead and drive on up into the Rockies before driving back down to the cabin we go to each year in Chama, NM>

according to most of the Trinidad site, when you take route 12 it will be quite scenic. I hope so. My husband remembers enjoying Mononment Park or Lake when he was stationed in Pueblo for a while too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 06:39 PM

246 posts, read 547,978 times
You will find the drive up Hwy. 12 just gorgeous! Good luck
with your trip! Also take a drive over the Raton Pass.
To say Trinidad is in the desert is incorrect. It is more nestled in
a valley with driving into the mountains very near, and once you
travel east of the town it does get flat and barren (more desert like).
Trinidad is a very hilly town, for lack of a better word! Brown and
dusty? Well it COULD be, but not necessarily. Again a drive east
would get you into the flat more barren terrain. I am an Anglo
woman and had no problems being accepted there. It is a
depressed town however.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:53 PM

91 posts, read 217,813 times
Well....I live in Trinidad now. My husband recieved a promotion and was transferred here. It has been 1 month. I had lived in Nederland Co For a VERY long time (would love to go back)...Then to Salida co(for husband's job) for 2 years and now to Trinidad. When he 1st said Trinidad I almost cried Now that I am here my opinion is changing. As Jazzlover mentioned the history of this town is very alluring. The people are some of the nicest people that I have ever encountered. No pretentiousness at all. I love the hispanic community. It also has alot of Italian (which I am ) . I grew up in Pittsburgh Pa and my grandfather was a coal miner. Trinidad is rich in coal mining history and reminds me of neighborhoods in Pittsburgh. Some may turn your nose up at that but to me it is very endearing. After living in some very homgeneous places in Colorado it feels awesome to have some strong ethic backgrounds present. I too am a artist. This is a town with alot of emerging artists. It is very close to Taos and Santa fe. My artwork fits well into these places so that's worked out great for me. You would probably have to drive to Pueblo to go to a Michaels. I just buy all of my supplies on line..no big deal...more time to work on my projects. I am also used to being IN the mountains. You won't get that here but I just jump in the car and drive a little ways into the Spanish Peaks area and it is breathtaking. If I don't want to go that far I drive 3 miles to Trinidad Lake and it is the closest you can get to a beachwalk in Colorado. It is a dam but on one side they made a shore and it is awesome with distant views of the sangre de cristos. If you were raised in the southwest you should have no problem adapting. One of the best things about Trinidad is the price of homes . They are very affordable. I also love the old styles especially the adobes. If you need to find a job that is the one thing that will stop you in your tracks. No jobs here except possibly nursing. If you need to find a job find it before you move here. There are some really nice shops in town and the retail is slowly growing. I think perhaps they want to attract more tourism and bring in some industry of that nature to this town. I can't say that I am so in love with Trinidad but I do think it is a special place. It has such a bad reputation that it doesn't live up to. Oh yeah....the crime...not that bad at all . While there is crime here it isn't rampant.I don't feel frightened. The drug problem is not as bad as ALOT of other areas in Colorado. . It's not like I see anything going down or read about anything terrible at all. I know this because my husband is in that field and he laughs when he hears how bad crime is here. Perhaps it is rising because of drug usage but that is true across the country......Anyways I hope that this helps Please feel free to ask any other questions that I may not have answered in "my book" on Trinidad Good luck

Old 09-05-2009, 02:46 AM

59 posts, read 202,058 times
Default Trinidad has potential -- mostly unrealized

Trinidad is town of tremendous opportunity and potential, but has not yet been realized.

It has a wonderful 4-season climate, less severe than most of Colorado. Most in Trinidad think the weather in Denver is cold. It's probably sunnier down in Trinidad when compared to the rest of the state -- and that's saying something!

It's a pleasant natural setting with a river running through town and surrounded by hills and bluffs. They have a trail going along the river from downtown.

The architecture downtown is amazing. Trinidad was one of the largest cities in Colorado 100 years ago, and so as a result you get wonderful architecture -- think old opera houses and department stores.

Amtrak goes through town as does I-25, so you can get to Santa Fe or Denver in 3 hours, Pueblo in just over an hour, and CO Springs in about 2 hours.

But Trinidad is a slow place to live. That may be perfect for you. People here (making big generalizations here) tend to have less motivation than in other parts of the state. Some parts of this town end up looking ramshackle as a result of people not keeping up the maintenance. Jobs are very few and do not pay well, unless you can get on with the I-25 project or the coal-bed methane picks up again. The Junior College is a bright spot and may be the path to a more prosperous future in Trinidad.

There was a big move recently to gentrify Trinidad, but that effort has been stopped in its tracks with the economic downturn. See all of the available lots in the Nicklaus golf course just south of town. It's an economic dead zone.

I think in the end it will turn around. But when?

Old 09-05-2009, 08:22 AM

824 posts, read 1,851,079 times
Hopefully, NOT a hijack but....

I am also considering a move to town.

How is shopping in Trinidad. Specifically food, Bakeries, Butchers, Supermarkets etc..

I am thinking of daily needs, items such as furniture, clothing and such are occasional purchases, therefor I don't mind having to travel for them.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:37 AM

We have a safeway in town...a big chain grocer...no butcher that I have found as of yet. I am a total foodie and am making it work. I plan on taking a big cooler to my Santa Fe trips where they have a Whole foods. There is a furniture store and alot of very nice antiques at great prices. There is a used/junk store in town that I bought a cheap table and refinished it if your in to that. There is a super Wal-Mart. I'm not a big fan...but what are ya' going to do when you have to make it work. It is a really nice Wal Mart as far as that goes. Some things I just buy on line and that is actually kind of nice to have things delivered to your door.Pueblo is only a little over an hour straight up 25 where they have all of the super shopping stores. (I-25 until you get to Colrado Springs is pretty quiet) Hope this helps Good luck

Old 09-05-2009, 08:38 AM

P.S. There are a couple of good bakeries...and a great Italian Deli/ restaurant that sells pastas cheeses and meats

Old 09-05-2009, 10:14 AM

1,778 posts, read 3,481,811 times
Do you find any retires moving to Trinidad? I was just wondering the age group level there. I'll be there in a few weeks for several days. I will probably stay in a B & B to get a feel for the place. I am thinking that might be better than a chain hotel. Any comments on that?

I have a soap business that I do on the internet for the past 11 years (hobby mostly) so it is nice to hear there is an artisty type of culture in the area.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:51 AM

2 posts, read 4,153 times
Trinidad is really an AREA. To say it is desert is incorrect, as well to say it is not mountainous either. Take off on HWY 12 for a few minutes and you will see uncrowded, high country beauty. Cross over San Isabelle at around 12,000 ft...have a drink at the Dog Bar in Cuchara at over 9000 ft. Catch your limit at Monument at over 8000ft. Head south a couple minutes S to climb over Raton (NM) pass. Check out NRA's Whittington Center (35000 acres) for a world class hunting and shooting ranch. In Raton a new multi million dollar racino, hotel, and gaming park is already being built. Awesome skiing, Taos, and Santa Fe just a bit farther. If you need larger city shopping Pueblo is up I25 1-1.5 hrs. Trinidad has a college that offers some very focused highly recognized programs. Some of the best fruits and veggies in the world are grown in the valleys around the area. I love Trinidad. It is where the mountains meet the plains. If you live there you understand. The area is so large and vast...it is just the way it is. It is not for everyone. I will be making it my permanent home next year. I have a second home and have been "commuting" from Eastern KS for almost 5 yrs. I love the people. It is a town rich in culture and history. It is a conservative...but far from a closed minded community. It has lots of established and budding artist. Premier golfiing, and lots of local music and theater. I have found the locals of all heritages to be open and friendly...never been treated badly. All this...plus clean air...efffective cost of living...and sorry ney sayers...crime is well below national averages....fine with me if most never discover it.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:17 AM

I totally agree with teeceeokie....I have to say the real reason that I am not so in love with Trinidad yet is the fact that I am still a little homesick from a move 2 years ago and it has nothing to do with Trinidad As I said Trinidad is a special place! The surrounding areas have so much to offer as well. It is truely a hidden gem. I could say that I hope it isn't discovered but this town could certainly use some money flowing into it.

To Debbie....There are 2 B&Bs that I noticed that look nice real close to town 1)Stone Mansion 212 E 2nd 719 845 1625 2) Tarabino Inn 310 E 2nd 719 846 2115 There is also a small shop in town on Commercial St that sells teas and soaps and body lotions Keep in mind the downtown shops are mostly closed Sundays & Mondays. There are retirees here but all ages are present There isn't one age group that stands out like other places that I have lived (I am 43).

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-06-2009 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado