Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 04:38 PM

246 posts, read 629,287 times

Advertisements

Debbie if you go to Amazon and do a search for books under the name Thomas Mariano several come up for sale. That is the author I was referring to that I knew. I have no idea if he is still alive. Here is a link to the Amazon site if it works:
Amazon.com: Thomas Mariano: Books

Also in Trinidad there are a couple of museums close together. They sell all the books mentioned if I remember correctly. If this link works it has an email link to contact them, otherwise I can find no listing for what the books are that they sell:
Store

Here are some other books for sale on Amazon after doing a search under books for Trinidad Colorado.
Amazon.com: Trinidad Colorado: Books

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-30-2009 at 04:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 06:11 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,421 times
I got a lot of information of the Highland of Legends. Plus, I found a site that sells Allen Bachoroski book on tape. Not liking tape so I am continuing looking. The site is out of Canon City and only takes money order and It sort of doesn't feel like the "real thing". Stilllooking the tape is 12.98 but I do not want to list to a tape. I like books. Thank you and anytime you want to jump in with more information on Trinidad please do so. Did you like living there? Do you think healthy retired people would do all right. I would live on Route 12 from what I am seeing. Moving from a cattle ranch, I probably want a few acres surrounding me. Although, living in town is not ruled out for me if there is a nice area very close to commercial street.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:51 AM

When I lived there - from 1987 till 1991, I was in my 20's and
owned the radio stations there. We moved there to purchase
the radio stations. So I was in a very different position than
you would be in. I knew everyone, all the business owners, etc.
I was involved in the community, I had to be.

I know the Weston area (personally I think Stonewall is beautiful)
and it just depends on what you want. If you have to drill a well
you'd have to go down about 600 feet, if you don't mind sub-standard
medical care (Trinidad), if you don't mind no real shopping choices
except Wal-Mart (Trinidad), and if you don't mind lots of snow
(not every winter but they do get blizzards from as early as October
till as late as April), then I'd consider it.

Beautiful area (especially Hwy 12), beautiful mountains, lots of
wonderful independent and proud people, lots of wildlife. The
summers are marvelous, a heat wave is one which lasts a week
in the 80s

Bat Masterson was once the sheriff of Las Animas County. Also,
there are tunnels underneath the downtown area (many of them
sealed off now) where the mob and gangsters used to hide out
and get around. Underneath the old J.C. Penney building there
are autographs of some famous gangsters on the walls.

The person I would hook you up with to talk to used to be the
sheriff of Las Animas County for many years, and knows the
county well. He is elderly now and loves to talk about the past.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:56 AM

There was a town flooded (can't remember the name now) to
make the Trinidad Lake (beautiful drive). Underneath the
Mullare Murphy Funeral Home there is an old bowling alley.
The Ludlow Massacre is a very interesting story. Between
Trinidad and Raton are old coal mining towns, since deserted.
I have friend in Trinidad who is a vet if you need
me to recommend one, as I sure do miss his services
and prices here! If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:59 AM

Oh in 1991 I moved to Raton New Mexico and lived there
for 14 years, so I still went to Trinidad often. My doctor
used to be in Trinidad until she closed her practice and went
to work for the VA clinic in Raton. ANYWAY. At times I
really do miss the area - I miss the cowboys, the mountains,
the climate, the bears, the baby blue skies. What I don't
miss are the rattlers, the winters, the cactus, the wind blowing
constantly all spring!

Old 08-06-2009, 06:32 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,421 times
Thank you mcol. Where I live, I've stepped over rattlers before so that isn't too big of a problem. This is snake country where I am living now. In fact my hill the house is built on is called rattlesnake hill. Although, even thouogh we have diamond backs we mostly have timbers which Idon't think is as dangerous. All my dogs and horses have been bitten by either rattlers or copperheads and survived. One horse did have a minor stoke with a rattler though.

I can't wait to check it out. We go to Chama, NM every year but both Cham and Pagosa Springs seemed higher in price than Trinidad but looks like the same scenery. Both my daughers married in Stillwater, OK would be closer to Trinidad than Chama if Imoved. I know MO quite well. My parents live in Bella Vista, AR just at the corner of MO. We lived in both IL, and KY which took us through MO quite a bit. I also lived in the Utah mountains and I guess for retirement I am thinking COOL mountian air. Well at least today I am.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:58 PM

4 posts, read 13,521 times
Default Trinidad, CO or where...anyone? Info Needed On the Area

I have put Colorado on my list of places to investigate...that are near enough to my family but not "pop on over" too near. I am not interested in Boulder as it is just too expensive and "too too" everything. I'd like to stay in Southern area....rather than north of Denver. Trinidad looks really nice...I grew up in a small town (5,000) and so am familiar with small towns.

I have to admit that I love Santa Fe...or maybe I loved Santa Fe when I first visited over 20 years ago. Since then, it seems to have just ballooned into a mecca for "shiny people" (as my friend calls them now). Shame, really. I still am looking for a town that reminds me a bit of Mount Shasta, California, and a bit of Sedona and Portland but is still near enough to a good shopping area. Trinidad reminds me of that (on paper anyway.) I thought Pueblo might be nice, but a friend told me that the crime was really high (wait, wait, wait...let me finish)...BUT I know that is relative to neighborhoods, etc etc so I am still open to learning more and have not crossed that out. It just seems more "desert" and Trinidad seems a bit more "green" and mountainous. Is it very isolated and hard to get to larger cities? (That's the burning question.)

This is what I am looking for...preferably in CO or...? I am open as I work for myself. I have no children at home anymore, so schools are not an issue.

1. Affordable, affordable houses...preferably vintage...older houses.
2. A community of writers/artists or progressive thinkers...they don't have to be liberals....just broad-minded....Coast to Coasters...as in George's Coasters.
3. One good bookstore (at least) and a cafe.
4. A place that is open to new business (retail....perhaps one day)
5. A Hobby Lobby or Michael's within driving distance. (I like to make stuff.)
6. A college in the town or nearby (Community college is fine...just so there is a place to take courses....to enrich my life.)
7. A view of mountains.
8. Friendly people.
9. Low taxes (It's silly to buy an inexpensive house when you then have to pay the equivalent of another mortgage in taxes.)
10. I don't mind hot for a few weeks....but hot and humid for most of the year...no, thank you.

I am open to suggestions........thank you very, very, much...!

Blessings...

RR

Last edited by RamblingRoses; 08-28-2009 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: add new info

Old 08-28-2009, 03:39 PM

I -25 runs through Trinidad, so to get to larger cities all you
have to do is get on the interstate and head north (Pueblo,
Springs, Denver) or south (Raton, Santa Fe, Albuquerque).
Trinidad's elevation is a bit over 6,000 ft. It's not mountainous
per se but some beautiful views all around you of the Sangre de
Cristos. The drive north isn't bad but driving south you do
drive over the Raton Pass. Trinidad has a Junior College.
Define low taxes, as some taxes are not cheap in Colorado period.

I think you need to visit Trinidad to find out if it's right for you.
Bad news is the crime rate in Trinidad - I guess break ins and
what not are going up. Something to consider. Also a job, if
you need one. There's not much there.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:14 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingRoses View Post
I still am looking for a town that reminds me a bit of Mount Shasta, California, and a bit of Sedona and Portland but is still near enough to a good shopping area. Trinidad reminds me of that (on paper anyway.)
Not sure how you thought Trinidad reminds you of those places. Trinidad is a lot like Las Vegas (New Mexico) and Raton.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 13,521 times
Default Thank you...........

Thanks so much for the info....

I guess in comparing the cities I did....I meant the smaller towns and the vast space. These are just places that I have enjoyed. Portland is just a large city with a small town feel.....so I threw that in, too. I have been away from the US for so long, I may just be hallucinating...forgive me. I've lived in Europe where space is at a premium...and I miss the vastness of the Southwest where I grew up.

I just want a bit of peace, a veggie food store, some good friends around, a desk with a view of some mountains, a kitchen to putter around in and a patch of land to plant some flowers and the time to write and think...maybe a safe place to take a walk and watch a sunset.

I do appreciate the comments and if there are any Trinidadians or if you've lived there...I'd like to hear from you, too.....and of course, if there are any other suggestions...please send them along.

Heartfelt thanks.......and appreciation for this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado