U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 09:54 PM

49 posts, read 199,084 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving out to Colorado and am interested in the foothill areas particularly Evergreen and Conifer. We have two young children and would love to hear from anyone with younger kids who has experience is this area. We wondering how these towns are for families and raising kids activities wise? We know they are safe and have good schools but we are more concerned that they will be remote and not much of a community "feel". We see that there are three recreation centers in the Evergreen area. Howare they as far as services?
How about Conifer no rec center? We also saw that Conifer is building a new town center shopping area but how about Evergreen is there much of a town or center of town so to speak?
I guess overall we are worried it will be too private but not easy to meet people since neighbors are spaced out from each other. Is this all pretty accurate? Just don't know since we haven't yet visited the area but plan on in the next few months. We are also looking at the Golden, western Arvada and western Lakewood areas in additon to the these two.

Last edited by Deltagolf; 07-15-2007 at 10:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 10:24 PM

2,621 posts, read 2,023,746 times
Evergreen is an awesome place for families. Evergreen is very much a community of families with kids. Lots of events through out the year. Evergreen has "main street" which is the original town. Every where I go (grocery store, rec center, out to eat etc.....) I run into people that I know.

My kids have never had a problem meeting other kids, having get togethers, sleep overs etc....

The rec centers are very nice facilities. Evergreen Park & Recreation District The rec center at buchanan park is the newest and they are right in the middle of remodeling the evergreen rec center.

Evergreen is spaced out but I know all my neighbors. I know/visit/have get togethers/get invited to parties etc.... with all my neighbors. Every one is very helpful. I do more and know my neighbors better now than when I lived in Socal.

Here is a picture of Evergreen. You can see evergreen lake and at the bottom of the picture is a portion of main st.

Good Luck!

Old 07-15-2007, 11:40 PM

49 posts, read 199,084 times
HighAlt.,

Thx. That is very helpful info. Great to here that it sounds a lot like what we are looking for. My wife was interested in the areas around Boulder Louisville/Broomfield but I have had my heart set on the Evergreen area and was looking for some firepower to take to her to think about Evergreen as well.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:21 AM

5 posts, read 27,456 times
what is the commute into Denver like froM Evergreen? I will be working in the Quest building downtown.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromAuroraIL View Post
what is the commute into Denver like froM Evergreen? I will be working in the Quest building downtown.
It can be anywhere from about a half hour to just over an hour (1hr15min) depending on where you live in Evergreen. I live a few miles past main st, in what is considered south evergreen, and it usually takes me about 45min most of the time. An hour or less all the time with the exception of a handful of days.

The closer you are to I70 in North Evergreen the quicker the commute to downtown and the more expensive the homes get. There are pockets of neighborhoods in North Evergreen that are much less expensive. There is something for everyone no matter what your income is but you do not get as much house for your money compared to popular denver suburbs like Highlands Ranch. Evergreen offers something most places can't so it all depends on what is important to you.

Last edited by High Altitude; 07-16-2007 at 02:46 PM..

Old 07-16-2007, 06:13 PM

62 posts, read 275,199 times
Default you will know when you visit

we are moving from NYC to CO. We originally planned on Golden but then we saw Evergreen and fell in love.....you have to see the area and then you will know what you like best....I will be working in Denver but the few extra time to commute will be well worth it...

Old 07-17-2007, 07:53 AM

5 posts, read 27,456 times
thx for the replies. We have found it a bit difficult to shop Evergreen/Morrison/Conifer online, as it's hard to tell where the houses end up. Some seem to be way up the foothills, and result in a signficant commute. Any suggestions for web searching? particular zip codes or subdivision names?

Old 07-22-2007, 06:14 PM

9 posts, read 29,689 times
Default Neighborhoods and houses

We came out last week and looked at houses and just love the beauty of Evergreen. As you mentioned, the houses do seem far apart and they seem to be "older" neighborhoods. That is houses built in the 70's and 80's. That worries me because the last house we lived in was in an older neighborhood in KC and there were no young kids. Are there any subdivisions to keep an eye on, or any that we should stay away from with kids?

We looked at "Hiwan Hills" that seemed closed to the highway, then "El Pinal 4th Flag" that was nice because it was really quiet - so I wonder about any kids being around, then we looked at Evergreen Meadows - but we would like to be more in the mountians, then we looked at "Evergreen West" with Clear Creek Schools, and then looked at a couple in "Homestead" in Morrison. It is all so confusing and mountian houses feel so different then on paper or the pictures on the Internet.

Can anyone help us. Right now we live in Kansas City with 1/4 acre lots with lots of kids around that my son and daughter can go play with in the front and back yards. Thank you so much, Kim

Old 07-22-2007, 06:44 PM

62 posts, read 275,199 times
Default evergreen

We are from NY and looked at the Evergreen/Kitteridge area off of Rt 74. The houses were newer and there seemed to be a lot of kids around. The homes had more land than those in other areas we saw. I suggest getting a realtor who knows the area and he/she can help alot. We found our home in 2 days after spending alot of time on the computer and having the realtor screen the homes. If you want the name of the person we used send me an email. Good luck.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:09 AM

There are lots of families with kids but I am sure every street is a little different. New families move into Evergreen all the time so I wouldn't say older neighborhoods don't have families with kids.

I am sure the exact concentration of kids on any particular street is hit and miss but all the parents at school are very friendly and most arrange group play dates at the rec centers and open space parks or sign their kids up for the same after school activities. Also, just about every time this summer that I have took my kids to go swimming at the rec center (we usually go at least once during the week) there have been other kids there that my kids know from school. Evergreen is a small place when it comes to number of people living here.

There are newer houses spread out here and there but very few developments of new homes. Most available land to build on is a lot here and there so most new homes are scattered in with the old. There is one newer development in Kitteridge which I believe is called sunset ridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baack View Post
We came out last week and looked at houses and just love the beauty of Evergreen. As you mentioned, the houses do seem far apart and they seem to be "older" neighborhoods. That is houses built in the 70's and 80's. That worries me because the last house we lived in was in an older neighborhood in KC and there were no young kids. Are there any subdivisions to keep an eye on, or any that we should stay away from with kids?

We looked at "Hiwan Hills" that seemed closed to the highway, then "El Pinal 4th Flag" that was nice because it was really quiet - so I wonder about any kids being around, then we looked at Evergreen Meadows - but we would like to be more in the mountians, then we looked at "Evergreen West" with Clear Creek Schools, and then looked at a couple in "Homestead" in Morrison. It is all so confusing and mountian houses feel so different then on paper or the pictures on the Internet.

Can anyone help us. Right now we live in Kansas City with 1/4 acre lots with lots of kids around that my son and daughter can go play with in the front and back yards. Thank you so much, Kim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or