Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:25 PM

90 posts, read 285,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadytoMove2? View Post
Hi,

Are there any areas you can recommend that are affordable ($500-$700/month rent) but not public housing/low income type areas? My fiance are young and looking to get established - he is a highschool math teacher and I am a personal chef. So I would love to be somewhere that is affordable for us to live yet where I can reach my target market that has disposable income to afford and/or would need personal chef services. It would be nice if I could find somewhere that has consistent growth, but not so oversaturated that my small business will fail or get lost among others. Those are my priorities - but other things I would like to see in my new city are:

easy access to freeways, or enough stores in walking distance
reliable public transportation
not too much wildlife in close reach (snakes, spiders)
decent amount of culture/city activites (ethnic festivals, museums)
nice mix of 'eclectic' restaurants, boutiques (not just standard chains)
locals that aren't too snobb, but rather warm and welcoming (more of a small town feel)
centrally located to smaller towns/suburbs
nightlife is not important
climate/seasons that do not have extreme weather conditions, including uncomfortable southern humidity, dessert like heat, some snow is ok

If I could find a city/town that has a reasonable cost of living but it is situated with easy access to areas where residents have disposable income and a lifestyle where a personal chef could be useful, that would be ideal...

I know I listed alot, even if you could help me with one or two of my concerns that would be amazing... I'm in Michigan right now, and anywhere is better than here lol

Please review the currently active threads on teaching jobs in Colorado. There aren't any.

I am not aware of anywhere in Colorado where you can rent for $500-700/mo that are not either sketchy neighborhoods or way outside the metro areas where "personal chefs" are pretty much unknown.

I have lived many places around the US, and I honestly can't think of a single one with rents in good neighborhoods of $500-700 along with proximity to people of an income level where they would need a "personal chef." Aren't those two things in direct opposition to each other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 12:40 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,468,862 times
If you have to ask: Why should I come here?, then you probably should not come!
Seriously, if you don't have a real interest in the outdoors, then don't bother with Colorado.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:21 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,123,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soscrewed View Post
Please review the currently active threads on teaching jobs in Colorado. There aren't any.

I am not aware of anywhere in Colorado where you can rent for $500-700/mo that are not either sketchy neighborhoods or way outside the metro areas where "personal chefs" are pretty much unknown.

I have lived many places around the US, and I honestly can't think of a single one with rents in good neighborhoods of $500-700 along with proximity to people of an income level where they would need a "personal chef." Aren't those two things in direct opposition to each other?
I know that I am the most optimistic person on CD with regards to teacher jobs in Colorado. Maybe it is because I work in the industry and I know that the situation is not as dire as some people make it out to be.

Check out this post about what your boyfriend can do to land a teaching job. Keep in mind that Math jobs are in high demand, and that will continue for the foreseeable future.

My earlier post regarding the area near Hampden and Ulster is a place that meets the criteria of the OP. Rents are around $600-700 (go to the apartment website if you don't believe me), there is shopping within walking distance, it is on a major bus line, and it is in a nice, solid, middle class neighborhood. It is in close proximity to Southmoor, Cherry Hills, and Greenwood Village. I think those areas qualify as areas that have the income necessary to hire a personal chef.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:50 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,584 times
My apartment near University & Harvard in south Denver was $600/month. It was a 1 bd/1 ba in an older building, but it had A/C and was about a half mile from the light rail station. It faced University which was kinda noisy but for that price it was a pretty good deal. I think you could find something for a similar price in that area, lots of apartment buildings along University south of DU.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:44 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthXSW View Post
My apartment near University & Harvard in south Denver was $600/month. It was a 1 bd/1 ba in an older building, but it had A/C and was about a half mile from the light rail station. It faced University which was kinda noisy but for that price it was a pretty good deal. I think you could find something for a similar price in that area, lots of apartment buildings along University south of DU.
Probably more than that. Rents have gone up since you left several years ago.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:45 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
ReadytoMove2? wrote:
Why should I come here?
There is no should about coming here or anywhere else for that matter. Coming here or going there is a choice. Wherever you choose to live is up to you!

Old 01-14-2011, 07:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
OP, if you're looking for a small town, there are several Denver suburbs with a small town feel, e.g. Arvada, especially the "old town" area; Golden; Louisville; Lafayette; Littleton, perhaps others. wanneroo is correct that Colorado just isn't set up like Michigan and other places "back east" with lots of little independent cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado