U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 06:26 PM

60 posts, read 108,443 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Are there any areas you can recommend that are affordable ($500-$700/month rent) but not public housing/low income type areas? My fiance are young and looking to get established - he is a highschool math teacher and I am a personal chef. So I would love to be somewhere that is affordable for us to live yet where I can reach my target market that has disposable income to afford and/or would need personal chef services. It would be nice if I could find somewhere that has consistent growth, but not so oversaturated that my small business will fail or get lost among others. Those are my priorities - but other things I would like to see in my new city are:

easy access to freeways, or enough stores in walking distance
reliable public transportation
not too much wildlife in close reach (snakes, spiders)
decent amount of culture/city activites (ethnic festivals, museums)
nice mix of 'eclectic' restaurants, boutiques (not just standard chains)
locals that aren't too snobb, but rather warm and welcoming (more of a small town feel)
centrally located to smaller towns/suburbs
nightlife is not important
climate/seasons that do not have extreme weather conditions, including uncomfortable southern humidity, dessert like heat, some snow is ok

If I could find a city/town that has a reasonable cost of living but it is situated with easy access to areas where residents have disposable income and a lifestyle where a personal chef could be useful, that would be ideal...

I know I listed alot, even if you could help me with one or two of my concerns that would be amazing... I'm in Michigan right now, and anywhere is better than here lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 10:14 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
Have you been to Colorado before?

Colorado is not set up like back east with cities here and there. And if there is one thing it is known for is climatic extremes.

For all the stuff you want on the budget you have, that will be hard to do if not impossible.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:29 AM

554 posts, read 1,305,418 times
Short answer: No. Almost everything you listed isn't realistic in Denver or it's burbs. And we have lots of snakes and big, icky spiders! Rent for $500?! LOL, that's funny. "Small town feel"? What's that? I'm not even going to address the weather comment. Because the minute somebody talks about our lack of snow, we get the blizzard from hell. I hope you find your paradise. Mine is Denver, spiders and all.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:58 AM

168 posts, read 323,547 times
Growing up in Chicago I thought there wouldn't be anything worse than cockroaches....until our house in Elizabeth (CO), that had over a thousand Black Widow spiders freeloading in the crawl space....

The Colorado experience is nothing like Michigan (or the midwest)....you'd have to drive around out here and see what appeals to you, toss that criteria list into a drawer until you've done that.....

Old 01-08-2011, 05:08 AM

3,108 posts, read 4,658,992 times
I can help with some of these.

Try Hampden Heights Apartments located on E. Hampden Ave and Ulster St. You can get a one bedroom apartment there for your price range. It is pretty suburban, but it is a short walk to the Tamarac Square/Tiffany Plaza area that has a Whole Food Supermarket as well as chain restaurants and shops. It is on a bus line, and I-25 and light rail are both a couple of miles away.

This is in close proximity to Greenwood Village (2 miles south) and Cherry Hills Village (4 miles west), two very affluent areas where you may be able find work as a personal chef.

The rest of the stuff you list is pretty much the same throughout Denver, though I don't know how you avoid spiders anywhere. At least there aren't any bears or wolves roaming around.

Ethnic festivals in the Denver area (most are downtown) include: Large Cinco de Mayo celebration, Asian Dragon Boat festival, Juneteenth, Oktoberfest, and a Taste of Colorado (not really ethnic, but fun nevertheless). There are many museums (art, nature and science, Colorado History, Black History, etc.). Denver has a symphony orchestra and a large theater complex. Plus the Stock Show comes to town every year.

Snow: hit and miss.

Boutique/eclectic restaurants are mostly in the older areas of Denver and downtown.

Small town feel: No.

Nearby small towns: No.

Weather: Dry and Sunny is pretty much the rule. In the winter it is cold, dry, and sunny. In the summer it is hot, dry and sunny.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:17 AM

345 posts, read 757,994 times
Visit. Honestly nothing you described you are going to find with a small town feel, small towns are just that, grocery store, some places to eat, a liquior store or two, but you have to travel for the rest. I live in a small town and visit lots for work, new restaurants fail, video stores close and etc.

The light rail is good but it does not go all over, buses you have a better chance.

Teaching jobs may be quite hard to come by unless he goes to a poor school district, lots of teacher in those districts leave each year due to poor pay. Ours do.
While your economy is worse than ours, ours is not that great and there are not of tons of jobs. There are a ton of people applying for them, there are people who have low pay jobs or crappy jobs, but it is a job so they are hanging on to it. Took my son 7 months to get a job after he got laid off. My friend has been out of work for over a year and cannot get a thing. So if you decide to move here make sure you have one before you move.

Desert heat is what we have. The sun feels like a microwave in the Summer but it does feel cooler in the shade due to low humidity. It tends to rain most days in the Summer around 3 pm, so plan for that if you are doing an outdoor activity. Spring and Fall are our shortest Seasons. Had Fall this year for the first time in a long time, it was nice. Scares me that we are going to get dumped on in March though.
We can get snow in Sept, we can get snow in May. It can snow really well one day the next day be 60 and it melts, or we can have many cold days and the crap is still on the ground. Or we can have a day that has most of the season all in 24 hours. It keeps it interesting.

Make a list of places 3 or 4 states that interest you, research them, weather, crime and etc and visit them before you decide. Then apply for jobs.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:10 PM

60 posts, read 108,443 times
Wow everyone, Thanks so much for the feedback - I know I can't avoid spiders/wildlife altogether, but I think we can agree that there are just some places where they run more freely and rampant than other.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:50 AM

554 posts, read 1,305,418 times
My cat saved my life the other day from a huge spider. I wish I had taken a picture of it before she ate it. It sounded crunchy.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:33 AM

168 posts, read 323,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce2011 View Post
My cat saved my life the other day from a huge spider. I wish I had taken a picture of it before she ate it. It sounded crunchy.
Musta been one of those supersized nasty lookin wolf spiders......

Another thing I'd never seen until coming out west

Old 01-09-2011, 11:39 AM

3,108 posts, read 4,658,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadytoMove2? View Post
Wow everyone, Thanks so much for the feedback - I know I can't avoid spiders/wildlife altogether, but I think we can agree that there are just some places where they run more freely and rampant than other.
I was kidding about the bears and the wolves, but in all seriousness, if wildlife freaks you out a lot, you should know that we have our fair share here.

It is common to have/see foxes, raccoons, rabbits, and coyotes in the metro area. The live in the parks, greenbelts, and golf courses all across the Metro areas. This is not uncommon though as these animals also live in Manhattan in Central Park. If you have a cat, it should stay indoors. Near the foothills, you can add deer and sometimes elk to the list, though I can say that I did see a buck and doe living on a golf course at the Mira Vista golf course, which is surrounded by the urban area for 20 miles in all directions.

Every spring and fall, there will be reports of mountain lions (cougars) and bear sightings in areas near the mountains. Although, a mountain lion did make it all the way to Englewood last year.

The residents of Denver are pretty outdoor oriented, and they do not look at these animals as something that should be eradicated. People take pride that the wildlife is vibrant and surviving in spite of the loss of habitat. If that is a mindset that you can't come to grips with, then maybe this isn't the area for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or