U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 11:51 AM

261 posts, read 520,456 times

Advertisements

Really at a loss: Considering jobs,cost of living,renting home or apartment with a pet. I am certified in Law Enforcement and Corrections,but I need to test for a job which can take up to month or more to acquire a position. Considering all this what do you think? In my research WA,OR pay more but also cost more to live and seem to have the most jobs. OR has no sales tax but has income tax and WA is vise a versa. So sell me on your state if you can? Thanx in advance.jim(also consider the nasty hot humid summer I have in this miserable state of Florida). I like snow but not tons!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 12:10 PM

20,311 posts, read 37,810,444 times
Two words for you: Canon City, CO

It's home to about 11 prisons, including a Federal supermax. For COLO, it has one of the milder climates; and has little humidity. This entire region is called "alpine desert" in official terms, i.e., high and dry.

We've many threads on Canon City; some in the Index of Key Threads and others you can easily find with our search tool.

Go for it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:16 PM

10,871 posts, read 41,174,133 times
IMO, you need to revisit this thread with some more information about what you are seeking ... in that the options you've suggested so far are so totally different in climate, culture, costs of living, amenities, recreation, shopping/dining ... and so forth. There's a huge difference between the Pacific NW ... especially Oregon, or the King County area of WA ... vs Colorado. Eastern WA has a large area of "dry" country that more closely resembles CO desert areas, but it's still subject to infrequent massive storm fronts with lots of snow ... IIRC, WA requires people who travel in these conditions to have an "emergency" kit appropriate to their vehicle and travels; getting stranded isn't a totally unusual risk.

While portions of Colorado's high mountain country can have much less snowfall than others, keep in mind that it's a relative issue ... and just because there isn't much snow on the ground doesn't mean that it's balmy, it's still a cold winter environment. At times, brutually cold for months on end when compared to warmer low altitude southern climes. ID, too, has a varied range of winter climes, but snow figures in rather prominently for most of the state.

Again, too ... there's been recent expansions of the WY prison system (still hiring now), and there's been newspaper ads recently for LE hiring in various towns across the state. But WY is a whole 'nother set of living circumstances which may or may not be appealing to you. It's really difficult to advise ... to "sell" you on this if it isn't providing what you're seeking to find.

As I've advised so many other posters on C-D, I'd strongly urge you to take your time to find possible jobs that meet your professional goal criteria and qualifications ... and then come on out to the respective locales and see for yourself if they can peg your happiness meter for housing, recreation opportunities, shopping, professional services, etc. You may discover a large disconnect between the costs of living in some areas and the available wage scale for which you can be hired ....

Last edited by sunsprit; 01-10-2011 at 03:41 PM..

Old 01-11-2011, 10:54 AM

345 posts, read 758,656 times
You have many different climates listed. WA and OR I would think due to their cloudy, rainy days are fairly humid. ID more arid but they do get snow.

I like Canon City, it is a cute little town with many stores and etc due to tourism and the prison system. Not very far from Colorado Springs which has quite a few activites to due. But their crime rate has gone up in the recent years.
I doubt they are snow-less. Some years you get more than others They do have less tornados so that is a plus. They do have lots of prisons so more opportunites to get a job. With the dry desert heat and being closer to the sun you will feel quite hot in the Summer. But shade is much cooler then in a humid area.

WY unless wind and tons of nothing-ness is your style you might want to re-think that choice. But homes are cheaper, taxes are less and it is not very crowded there. I think they are the 3rd largest state but 50th in population.

I would suggest that you visit areas you want to live in and apply for jobs when you arrive. If you find the state is not what you thought it would be, refuse the job and hope for one in a state you like.

With any of those states, buy Winter clothes! lol

Old 01-11-2011, 11:48 AM

7,755 posts, read 16,457,602 times
Someone mentioned that just a little bit of snow does NOT equate to balmy. Grand Junction, in western Colorado is a good example. It is considered by some to be one of the banana belts in Colorado, presumably because of the next-to-nothing snowfall. To blow away that myth, just yesterday I posted a year to date temperature comparison between Grand Junction and Duluth Minnesota in this thread ( #79 ). Take a look and you will notice that there is just a few degrees difference in the mean temperature. Outside of this sentence right here, no one is likely to put Duluth in the same sentence with the phrase, banana belt, yet the phrase is routinely and mistakenly used to describe the climate of Grand Junction. Don't let snowfall alone be a guide to how mild or severe a climate may be.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:01 PM

151 posts, read 275,113 times
I am in the same boat as you HateHumidity. However, I'm just entering into law enforcement work. I have heard great things about Canon City if you desire to work in prisons. I am focusing more into the Fort Collins area for police work (Will also prob apply for corrections when I move out there).. I will be relocating from western NY where the jobs have come to a complete stand still for law enforcement work

Old 01-11-2011, 09:03 PM

884 posts, read 1,464,457 times
As someone mentioned, yes WA and OR are quite humid in the rainy areas (west) due to the rain but it's not very noticeable. The summers there don't get hot at all so humidity is no problem in western WA/OR. The winters are cool and rainy (light rain), with little or no sun for long lengths of time. It can be somewhat depressing, but the fantastic summers there more than make up for the winters. Both states run on the expensive side of things, with Washington generally being more expensive than Oregon. Both Seattle's and Portland's economies are doing fine compared to the nation overall; Seattle's may be a bit better. I'm not sure about the smaller cities like Eugene, Salem, or Spokane. In the southeastern part of Washington is a city named Walla Walla. I hear that they have a rather large prison there and you may want to look there for employment. Walla Walla is in eastern WA so it is dry instead of wet.

I don't know much about Idaho other than that Boise has definitely been a boomtown this past decade. I'm not sure how much the recession has affected it though. I'm no expert on their weather either; I'm sure that someone else can do a better job with Idaho's climate areas. Cost of living is lower than WA, OR, and CO but higher than WY I'm guessing.

Wyoming is windy, like someone else mentioned. The largest cities (generally tied between Cheyenne and Casper) have about 60,000 people each. Gillette and Laramie reach around 30,000 I think. If you're looking for a city, you won't really find it in Wyoming. Cheyenne is on the prairie with small mountains between it and Laramie while Casper has a table mountain that rises to the south and provides something to look at. The winters can be brutal and I can imagine that everytime it snows, the wind blows with it. Towns and cities in this state not only are isolated, but they really feel like it too. Wyoming is the least populated state, and is only slightly smaller than Colorado, so if you like sparse population, you can look there. I wouldn't expect high hopes for finding employment in Wyoming since the state as a whole doesn't ever grow very fast, but it can't hurt to look. One area I can recommend looking is Evanston. It's in the very southwest corner of the state on I-80 and is becoming somewhat of a bedroom community for Salt Lake City. You probably have a better chance of finding a job there than anywhere else in Wyoming, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Someone already mentioned the low cost of living; I'll second that.

For Colorado, everyone seems to be suggesting Canon City, and I'd suggest it as well. Others have also nailed its climate, so I'm going to go ahead and skip out on this part.

I hope I provided some helpful insight for you.

-Tony

Old 01-11-2011, 09:31 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,107,644 times
Anyplace you look the competition for any available law enforcement or corrections job is going to be fierce. Pay scales for local and county law enforcement people tend to be very poor in the rural areas of the Rocky Mountain states. There is often a lot of turnover in those jobs and that is the reason.

In Colorado, jobs with the Dept. of Corrections pay a little better, but that also means that any available opening is likely to have dozens upon dozens of applicants from qualified local and county law enforcement people looking to get better pay and benefits with the state.

Just as I have posted in the case of teaching positions, in the rural areas especially, there is a bias toward hiring local applicants and graduates from in-state law enforcement training programs. Just a fact of life. Those local schools are cranking out a lot of graduates these days, as a lot of local folks have figured out that law enforcement and corrections jobs may be some of the more stable jobs around in this lousy economy. That said, law enforcement is certainly not immune to the very serious budget problems facing both local and state government in Colorado. That outlook is especially bleak and likely to stay that way for many years.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:51 AM

12,843 posts, read 23,217,682 times
Job-wise, all of these states are just on either side of average when it comes to unemployment (WY being best, ID being worst).

Map: LA

Stay out of the big cities (especially Seattle and Portland) and resort areas if you want to avoid higher COL.

Hatehumidity, IIRC, you were interested in Spokane/North Idaho. That's my favorite place on earth, but a place you should really check out is the Tri-Cities (Kennewick-Pasco-Richland), WA. The unemployment rate and COL are both very low, and there is a prison within commuting distance in a hellhole known as Connell. The Tri-Cities are about as DRY as it gets too.

Re: taxes, IMO it all balances out. For example:

WA
-high sales tax
-high gas tax (37.5 cents/gal)
-high alcohol tax
-NO income tax
-minuscule license plate "tab" (they call them tabs there for some reason) tax
-no tax on groceries
-property taxes seemed kind of high (especially for the western US)

OR
-NO sales tax
-income tax (5%-11%)
-gas tax (25 cents/gal); you aren't allowed to pump it yourself here.
-no tax on groceries obv

ID
-sales tax (6%)
-high income tax (7.8% if you make over $25K)
-taxes groceries
-low gas tax (25 cents/gal).
-If you end up living in WA and going to ID a lot like I did, get gas in ID every chance you get.

CO
-high sales tax (many areas 7%+)
-lowish income tax (4.63%)
-low gas tax (22 cents/gal)
-OUTRAGEOUS vehicle tag fees
-no tax on groceries
-low property taxes

WY
-low sales tax (4-5%)
-no tax on groceries
-low gas tax (14 cents/gal)
-no income tax
-I love Wyoming but you should really visit it

Old 01-12-2011, 10:21 AM

345 posts, read 758,656 times
David were do you shop that there is no sales tax on groceries?
I am looking at my Kings receipt and it says 4.9 tax and 2.9 tax on my receipt. It is a grocery only receipt, bought nothing non-grocery that day.

As far as sales tax thanks to the PIF ( Public Improvement Fees) at some of the stores I am paying 9.75% sales tax. Without it sales tax according to some receipts is 8.6%.

Car plates are outrageous and getting worse. Last time they tacked on road fees. But one positive you did not mention is no car inspections. Granted it allows people with non-road worthy cars to drive them around if they manage to pass emissions or drive them till it is time for emissions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado