U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 12:14 PM

841 posts, read 1,249,665 times

Advertisements

I am a teacher in Colorado Springs, and I was sent to an International Baccalaureate training in Miami, FL. My trainer was a French teacher from Summit CO. I have heard good things overall about Summit CO, they are going all-IB at the district (I guess, depending how you feel about IB, a good or bad thing!)... but the fact that a teacher in their district was considered good enough and made the effort to become a trainer about the program for the organization speaks to me how the program is at the actual school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 02:31 AM

22 posts, read 63,004 times
Have you looked into Grand Junction? I personally hate it here because the economy is centered around people who work in the oil fields, cost of living is VERY high groceries are high, the cheapest 2 bdrm I have found is 650 and that is in the worst area of town.

That being said if cost isnt an issue it is a medium sized town very pretty there is a snowboarding place close by called Powderhorn ive never been but Ive heard its very nice. The dowtown area is kind of small but very artistic they have sculptures that change all the time lots of outdoor coffee shops, bistros, dining etc. Jobs are decent not the WORST place ive tried to find a job but not the best. The best place for a man to look for a job would be the oil fields, because as i said house pricing etc is based off oil field salary, ive heard of people making 10-35 or more an hour. The problem with that is that most jobs in the oil fields will mean your husband will litterally be gone 3 weeks out of a month but there are some jobs you can get out there that are regular 9-5. Hope this inffo helped

Old 02-11-2011, 04:10 AM

363 posts, read 860,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightYearsAway View Post
My husband and I are planning to move from Florida at the end of the year. We have a 3 1/2 year old so are obviously looking for a good town to raise children with a great school system. My husband is VERY into snowboarding, was sponsored years ago, and would like to become an instructor out there. I'm in the medical field so I'm hoping the job market is doing somewhat decent there We currently have one car and are hoping to not have to buy another one so a town with things like shopping, coffee shops, parks, ETC within walking distance is something we are looking for. Please only replies from people who live or have lived here and have a good feel for it!
Until recently, because of health issues, I lived the past 20 years near Crested Butte. Beautiful - you bet? Plenty of jobs - nope, exc at the mountain. The best place is where you can transfer a job, unless you are creating one.

Living in Fla or anywhere back East is nothing like living in the RM West. Nothing is convenient, nothing is easy and people are tough or they leave.

If you look at the surrounding area - you can easily see that towns along US50 are hubs - Gunnison, Montrose, Grand Junction. Montrose and GJT have the greatest promise, while staid Gunnison just plods along. It's only savior is Western State.

I'd go further West - like Salt Lake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or